Chiropractor | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-24-2006, 06:14 AM
Chiropractor

Has anyone gone to their Chiropractor Post-op from a LAVH?

I was routinely seeing a Chiropractor before my surgery. After my surgery my hip is out of place and KILLING me. I know that if I could get an adjustment alot of my hip and low back pain would go away. However, the way he adjust me is a little questionable with my surgeries - ie LAVH, TOT Sling, Rectocele Repair. I certainly don't want to do anything to set me back or have to go back in for a repair.

I ask my GYN about this - he's not crazy about Chiropractors so he said after two weeks he would leave it to my discretion. I asked the Chiropractor and he said whatever the GYN and I think. UGH!!!!

Anyone had an adjustment for hips or low back around the 2 week mark? I just don't know. I really need it but I'm afraid that might be too soon.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2006, 06:25 AM
Chiropractor

Hi,

I went after two weeks, but just had him adjust my neck. I'm taking it slow. I was a little leary about having him adjust anything else. I'd just go by you feel and what he thinks.
Unread 12-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Chiropractor

Please keep us informed when you go in. I haven't been for an adjustment since the day before surgery. My lower back pain is nearly 100% gone and most of it was due to fibroids and prolapsed uterus pressing down so low and affect the nerves. I found out my lower back was out of alignment partially because of the way I've been walking for years. I shuffled along with an old lady gait and my husband would always be yards ahead of me in the store and I’d have to tell him to stop and wait for me. I've walked trying to move my hips as little as possible because I've always had the sensation of a jackhammer bearing down on my private areas and radiating to my lower back. I had one huge fibroid near the vaginal opening that the dr could feel it when he did an exam and he pressed it lightly and I had pain shooting across my back and down my legs. I asked and he said it was nerves that affected the back.

My shoulders still hurt a little but not nearly as much as they used to. I used to always hunch over my keyboard and be practically in a ball because of pain. I used to go 2-3 times a week but now I’m sure I won’t have to go but once every 1-2 weeks for maintenance. My Chiro is also a Licensed Natural Medical Doctor, NMD, and he’s the one who prescribed my hormones. I’m not taking the ones my dr recommended because I’m afraid of taking artificial/manmade hormones because of the risks of cancer and other problems. I’ve been taking natural estrogen and progesterone for 2 mths and one week now and not having any problems.

Disclaimer: This is what works for me. I'm not recommending this for anyone but just telling my experience. You're probably best following the advice of your doctor. I've known my chiro since I was 14 years old and I really trust him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2006, 07:03 AM
Chiropractor

Dear February,
I went to my Chiropractor 2 weeks after my surgery. It was very helpful for my low back issues, and painless.
There are many styles of Chiropractic and he uses the low-force technique. It is a very gentle style- he uses a clicker thing to make the adjustments, and my experience is that this type of adjustment lasts longer than forceful manipulations...
It may be that because you had a LAVH, and I had a TAH, that you can handle the movement. My suggestion is to try it once and ask your Chiro to stop if it hurts!
Hope this was helpful...
Unread 12-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Chiropractor

So sorry but I don't know about a chiropractor. I did just have my hips adjusted by a physical therapist but I was almost five months when this was done. After a few treatments with her my pelvis is now stable and not slipping back out of place. If your doc feels it may not be safe yet ask about a PT who specializes in women post-op from hysterectomy. Believe me it feels wonderful now.
Unread 12-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Chiropractor

Thanks everyone for the posts. I'm definitely going to have to have some sort of adjustment soon. I've used a heating pad off and on all day today. Honestly, I don't think I would even need to take advil now if it wasn't for my hip and low back.

Other than that pain I"m just really tired.

I will let you know what happens when I go.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Unread 12-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Chiropractor

My chiro said she would not do a low back adjustment for 4 weeks post TVH. She would do eletrical stimulation on the low back if I needed it. This is basically little electrodes that vibrate your back like those crazy "you don't have to workout ab thingys on infomercials". I also agree about the clicker thing. Another chiro in the same office uses that and it isn't painful or forceful at all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register