Question about pre op appt | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about pre op appt Question about pre op appt

Unread 12-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Question about pre op appt

I have been reading some post about people meeting with their dr for a pre op appt where they decide which surgery to perform and do an exam... Idk if this the same as the appt where we decided to do the surgery and he told me we are gonna do the divinci... I assumed I would just have to do hospital pre op and the office would call me to set that up ... Is that how it usually goes or is there a different way for each dr ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Re: Question about pre op appt

I had an exam with my doctor when we chose what type of surgery. My pre op appt. is within a week of my surgery to check my blood pressure, ekg, and other last minute things we need to go over. My doctor did not schedual my pre op until he had a date set for my surgery. I don't know if all doctors do it this way or not. I hope all goes well for you.
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine2319 View Post
I have been reading some post about people meeting with their dr for a pre op appt where they decide which surgery to perform and do an exam... Idk if this the same as the appt where we decided to do the surgery and he told me we are gonna do the divinci... I assumed I would just have to do hospital pre op and the office would call me to set that up ... Is that how it usually goes or is there a different way for each dr ?
I think each doctor does it differently. My pre-op appointment with my surgeon is scheduled for 3 weeks prior to my surgery. While we've already talked about what type of surgery, she wants to go over the details of what to expect pre- and post-op. She also requests that my husband (or other responsible person) also attend, as she wants "two sets of ears" to absorb all the info.

The hospital is to be contacting me to discuss any pre-op testing/blood work that needs to be done. I'm hoping if I need to do any of that, I can do it the same day I do my pre-op with my surgeon, as it's a bit of a drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2012, 07:16 PM

I kno they said I might to come in and sign papers but nothing about another appt with the dr ... He is usually booked a month in advance ... I'm very type A and wanna kno what to expect and how to plan for it this surgery wait time is so hard because all I can do anymore is think of all the things that will need to do when I really don't have much control in the situation.... If only the drs kne what we all go through during this waiting limbo
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:11 PM

I met with my Dr prior to my surgery to go over everything. I also brought my husband. She said she likes when another person comes in with the patient. It is a good time to go over any questions and make sure you understand what to expect. I made a list of questions and found many of them on this site. The hospital pre op nurse also called me the week before my surgery and went over my health history with me and what to expect. She also sent a copy in writing (as did the Dr's office) so I would have all my pre op requirements in writing.
Unread 12-04-2012, 05:37 AM

I think each doctor and hospital does it differently. I had my doctors visit with exam and we decided on the the davinci hysterectomy. Two days later her scheduler called me and scheduled the surgery date and pre op and post op date. The pre op is 13 days before surgery for me. They then sent an email confirming all dates and times.

In the email I read I also have to schedule a pre op at the hospital. What??? How many pre ops do I need? I scheduled at the hospital for the next morning after my pre op at the doctor. I will fill out pre registration ppwk at the hospital and then go back to pre op, I imagine for testing, blood work and whatever else. So, I am thinking the pre op with my doctor might just be talking to go over the surgery and to ask questions. Unfortunately, my DH has to work, so no one will be going with me pre op. He has the kind of job that is he isn't there first thing in the morning, then he doesn't work all day. So, I am going it alone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register