Premature Pre-Op Consultations??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Premature Pre-Op Consultations??? Premature Pre-Op Consultations???

Unread 07-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Premature Pre-Op Consultations???

Okay ladies! The ball started rolling today when I got the call that my surgery is scheduled for August 17. Yikes!!!! That is just a little more than 3-weeks away with so much to do and so little time. Thanks to this message board I feel equipped to move forward with my preparations.

In addition, I have a pre-op consultation with my surgeon and the hospital for drawing blood, etc. scheduled for 8/3. That is 2-weeks prior to my actual surgery date. Prior to reading this board, I would never have thought of this 2-week delay being out of the ordinary. However, after following the boards for a couple of weeks, I have gotten the impression that most pre-op consultations are within the week of surgery specifically due to the drawing of blood. Is this something I should be concerned about and question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2006, 07:10 PM

I asked the same type of question because my pre-op appt is not until the day BEFORE surgery so I thought that was out of the norm and it made me a litle uneasy but, after reading so many pre-ops were at least a week or two out on the board I found out that all doctors do things differently. Where I live we are not big city really (small town) so this works for my doctor. I wouldn't be worried about it because like I said it all depends on your doctors preferences and schduling really. Hope this helps.
Liz
Unread 07-26-2006, 08:41 PM

My pre-op appt. with the Dr. and the Hospital are 3 weeks before my
surgery date.

I just assumed that it was to see how anemic I am and maybe do some kind of iron therapy if needed. My hospital is in a big city, so maybe they do things different. I wouldn't worry too much about it..seems Like Liz mentioned... What ever the Dr. prefers.

Gen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2006, 10:37 PM

No fear, the day I scheduled the surgery with my doc was almost six weeks prior to the actual surgery. I had to go to the hospital for pre-op bloodwork about 72 hours ahead of time so maybe you'll be scheduled for that too? I was lucky, no bowel prep at all!!!
Unread 07-27-2006, 06:51 AM

The pre ops seem to vary quite a bit from dr to dr. I've seen some that are a couple of weeks before and some closer. Mine was the day before, that worried me for "just in case". I didn't like the idea that my surgery might be postponed in case of a problem being found.

Best wishes, I hope that all goes well for you.

S
Unread 07-27-2006, 07:54 AM

I was told when I did mine that the blood was okay as long as a woman is not pregnant. They can actually keep it for awhile and use the results. Mine was 2 weeks prior to my surgery.
Unread 07-27-2006, 10:14 AM

Thanks ladies for your input and I will put this concern in the trash and move onto something else to worry about!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register