Going in on Monday for a TAH and I'm scared :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going in on Monday for a TAH and I'm scared :( Going in on Monday for a TAH and I'm scared :(

Unread 01-24-2004, 06:33 PM
Going in on Monday for a TAH and I'm scared :(

Went in to see my gyn on Wednesday, and on Thursday he called me to book me for a TAH on Monday!!

My hemoglobin has plummeted from 118 in November to 107 in December to 98 last Wednesday. I've been bleeding constantly pretty much since November.

While I'm looking forward to having my quality of life back, and to be painfree, I'm SO nervous about this surgery. He is going to leave my ovaries, since I'm only 39.

I guess it's all so final

Did you have a lot of vaginal bleeding after your surgery? How much should I expect? Was your pain well controlled?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2004, 06:57 PM
Monday

Hi,

My experience with pain in castle was very well managed. As a mater of fact, they kept telling me not to be afarid to "push the button". They really made an effort to keep me comfortable during my stay. They sent home perscription for painkillers. They really worked for me. I have to say, I did not suffer at all from gas pains. I believe they gave me gasx but I really did not have any even when I returned home. I didn't bleed at all afterwards. Perhaps other sister will have more info for you. I am glad this will soon be behind you so that you can, after recovery, feel better. Best wishes sent your way
Unread 01-24-2004, 06:58 PM
RE: TAH on Monday and Scared

Hi, my name is Pam and I will be two weeks post op from TAH on Monday. Everything has gone well, and every step of the operation and recovery has been easier and better than I had worried that it would be. I hope that your TAH goes well for you too, and I will be saying a little prayer for you! Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2004, 08:39 PM

Boujie, I am also two weeks Monday for TAH, kept ovaries.

I was soo nervous the week before, but when I got into the hospital, I became really calm, because I knew things could just be better with no BLEEDING anymore. I cried alot and talked weird things/thoughts out with my support system....that seemed to help. It is amazing what thoughts you can allow to go on in the dead of night...

I am 33, and I feel like this is the beginning of a new life.

Surgery was OK, recovery is getting better everyday. It is amazing how quickly your body can get better. First few days it might be a little hard to get around, then each day you find yourself doing something that just the day before you couldn't! Bleeding for me has been pink twinged only - I was advised it can go on and off for 6 weeks while stitches heal up.

Be sure to allow time to heal. that's been key for me, and follow your healing advice of your dr and your hystersisters! They know what they're talking about!

Best wishes. Thinking of you Monday!
Unread 01-24-2004, 09:25 PM

Tia: Please don't be so scared! I just passed my 6 week mark and I cannot tell you how good I feel. Like a new woman. Although everyone is different, I had very little bleeding after the surgery. I wore a pad in the hospital that I barely needed. I noticed bleeding only when I used the toilet. When I left the hospital (I was in for 3 days after the surgery) I was no longer bleeding. As for pain, I felt it was very controlled. I didn't get the pump that so many ladies get, I was afraid of getting nauseous so I opted for the shots of demerol and it worked very well for me. You will be sore and a little uncomfortable but its not bad at all. Honest. Also, the end result is soooo good. No more periods, no more bleeding, ruining clothes, ruining bed sheets, spending money on pads and tampons. Think of all the money you'll save! LOL.

Good Luck to you, You'll be ok!
Unread 01-24-2004, 10:36 PM

Hi Hystersister,
I was totally freaked out also. Scared silly. But, I must say it was all for nothing. My sugery was a breeze. The pain was well controlled. As a matter of fact I can't ever recall being in pain. There was no bleeding after surgery either. My surgery has been a blessing. Yes, it is final so try and not let yourself go there mentally. Let it be a fleeting thought not a persistent one.
Good Luck, and enjoy the time off.
Unread 01-24-2004, 11:12 PM

Hi, Boujie,
I am home recovering from a TAH 10 days ago. Many of us Sisters honestly think that the worst part of the whole ordeal was waiting. I had my appointment for 2 1/2 months. That's alot of thinking about the worst case.

I am now taking less OTC pain drugs (ibuprofin) than I did on my normal (abnormal?!?) cycle. I had zero bleeding from surgery. I just had a little pink when I went to the bathroom. I was up and walking on the second day.

I'm up and moving now, just taking it easy and having LOTS of naps. Taking lots of little walks and aking for help when needed.

Best of health to you.
Gretchen
Unread 01-25-2004, 01:40 AM

Hi Boujie,
I am just 4 days post-op and am quite thankful for having had the surgery. Pain was very minimal and just the tiniest bit of blood came the day after surgery.
I was in a very good hospital in a large city but was disappointed because the nurses were from a registry and not part of the permanent hospital staff so the ones I dealt with weren't familiar with the admitting papers. I can't tell you how many times I had to tell them the medications I was on. Write down medical information that is important to you and keep it with you or give to you DH or DB. Other than that, my hospital time was great.
Keep positive thoughts and know that you're going to be fine. Allow yourself to be pampered. Take your time, move when you're ready and know that there are many of us thinking of you.

Endless HUGGS!
Debbie
Unread 01-25-2004, 05:37 AM

Hi boujie

I am 5 days post-op and was also nervous and scared. It's normal to feel that way.

I will say that my pain is being well controlled and I have absolutely no vaginal bleeding.

Don't worry, things will be fine.

s
Unread 01-25-2004, 07:22 AM

Thank you everyone! Truly!

You've all made me feel SO much better now - I'm so grateful that my gyn recommended this site (and I live in Canada).

What a blessing this site has been to me

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register