7 weeks post-hysterectomy (LAVH) & no internal exam yet? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 weeks post-hysterectomy (LAVH) & no internal exam yet? 7 weeks post-hysterectomy (LAVH) & no internal exam yet?

Unread 07-08-2014, 09:10 AM
7 weeks post-hysterectomy (LAVH) & no internal exam yet?

I'm 7 weeks post-op today and I'm feeling great. I went to my 6 week post-op appointment last Thursday and I was surprised that the doctor didn't do an internal exam. He asked how I was feeling and I told him I feel great and I have no pain whatsoever. He told me I'm ok to have sex again and to call him if it causes any significant discomfort. So, should he have checked my cuff or is it fine because I feel good? BTW...I had sex with the hubby over the weekend and it was spectacular. No pain at all! I was very pleasantly surprised that my remaining parts still work very well...if not better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Re: 7 weeks post-lavh & no internal exam yet?

It seems very strange to me that he didn't check you, but I'm no doctor. You could always insist that he look to make sure it's healed properly, but since sex didn't cause you any pain, I guess it's safe to assume that you healed fine.
Unread 07-08-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisalisa View Post
I'm 7 weeks post-op today and I'm feeling great. I went to my 6 week post-op appointment last Thursday and I was surprised that the doctor didn't do an internal exam. He asked how I was feeling and I told him I feel great and I have no pain whatsoever. He told me I'm ok to have sex again and to call him if it causes any significant discomfort. So, should he have checked my cuff or is it fine because I feel good? BTW...I had sex with the hubby over the weekend and it was spectacular. No pain at all! I was very pleasantly surprised that my remaining parts still work very well...if not better!
I do find it a bit weird that he did not check you with a speculum to make sure your cuff is healed properly. Mine checked me every 3 weeks. At 5weeks I still was not closed all the way so good thing he checked! But 3 weeks later I was healed with only a little bit of granulation. And then he still wanted me to only do halfway penitration not all the way. So weve been very careful still! Even into my 11th week. But I do have to say the first time was really a wowza for me! My doc just wanted to be extra careful with me. Thats why I find it strange that yours did not check you before giving you the go ahead. Most all do. Best wishes and glad you are doing good. From a hyst sis in Tx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstocruise View Post
I do find it a bit weird that he did not check you with a speculum to make sure your cuff is healed properly. Mine checked me every 3 weeks. At 5weeks I still was not closed all the way so good thing he checked! But 3 weeks later I was healed with only a little bit of granulation. And then he still wanted me to only do halfway penitration not all the way. So weve been very careful still! Even into my 11th week. But I do have to say the first time was really a wowza for me! My doc just wanted to be extra careful with me. Thats why I find it strange that yours did not check you before giving you the go ahead. Most all do. Best wishes and glad you are doing good. From a hyst sis in Tx.
Oh jeez...now I'm nervous. I knew I should have said something to him at the end of my appointment. He's such a great doctor and I felt guilty second-guessing his judgment. Thankfully, my hubby is taking it easy on me and there hasn't been any issues yet. My next appointment it two months away so I hope it is healed enough that we're not causing any harm. I'm glad you're doing good now!
Unread 07-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Re: 7 weeks post-hysterectomy (LAVH) & no internal exam yet?

I only had a 10 day follow up to check one of my infected incisions. He told me I didn't have to ever come back - no internal, nothing. And I have a disease where healing is severely delayed (Ehler's Danlos) Everyone keeps telling me to go back to have an internal as well. It was 6 weeks yesterday. I don't know what is up with these docs sometimes!
Unread 07-19-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex327 View Post
I only had a 10 day follow up to check one of my infected incisions. He told me I didn't have to ever come back - no internal, nothing. And I have a disease where healing is severely delayed (Ehler's Danlos) Everyone keeps telling me to go back to have an internal as well. It was 6 weeks yesterday. I don't know what is up with these docs sometimes!
The only thing I can figure is that maybe our GYN's don't want to risk infection if we don't have any concerns or complaints. I still feel great and it's been almost 9 weeks. Although, I would be more concerned if I had a problem that would cause difficulty in healing. Good luck
Unread 07-19-2014, 05:10 PM

I had a 3 week post op check up and my dr didn't do an internal exam either. Just asked his I felt, said felt fine & he said to do what I felt like and see you next year. Had my gallbladder removed at the same time and that surgeon also just asked how I was doing and gave a quick look at my incisions b/c I lifted my shirt to show him. I have a cervical cuff and I'm a little nervous about it after reading these boards.
Unread 07-19-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisalisa View Post
My doctor wasn't going to check me at 6 weeks until I insisted to make sure all was in tack but to be honest if you told your doctor you felt great and had no issues then that's the reason you were not checked. To be honest I wasn't in many pain prior to be being checked. I had discomfort when I moved a certain way. Now since I have been checked I have had to pop a Tylenol for discomfort. My doctor checked to make sure my ovary was in talked, pulled on ligaments and more over pressed on my cuff...screams Ouch! So I say all of this to say I think it's normal. I hope you continue to feel great and I regret my internal exam but that darn curiosity got the best of me.
Unread 07-19-2014, 06:20 PM

Mine didn't do any exam at all...
I think if i still have pain though i will get him to check things out next month.
Just to be safer than sorry
Yeah i dunno why docs don't do it.
Well great you had no pain with sex.
I am hoping that one day
Well take it easy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register