preop rant hysterectomy TLH 4/9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

preop rant hysterectomy TLH 4/9 preop rant hysterectomy TLH 4/9

Unread 04-03-2015, 05:05 AM
preop rant hysterectomy TLH 4/9

So I had my preop appointment yesterday. Talking to the surgeon again helped settle my nerves. I had to have blood work done. the lab tech ask if a student she was training could draw my blood. I said NO!!!! they both looked at me like I was crazy. I am an EXTREMELY hard stick there was no way I was letting a student near me. The lab tech asked where are they usually able to get blood from. I said my hands. The lab tech was a total snot and said They don't use your arms Well I'm gonna look anyway. Let me pause here I have rheumatoid arthritis too that requires frequent blood work so I KNOW where they can get blood.
so she puts the thingy around my arm and has me pump my fist and she is slapping my arm. She looks and looks and looks and my hand has gone numb. She says to you're right I can't find anything. I wanted to be like NO DUH!!!!!!! so she pokes me in my left hand and the vein blows. Her whole demeanor changed She starts apologizing.She got me in the right hand and then says something like wow you are a hard stick. Why do some nurses and lab techs have to be so cocky and snotty . I KNOW my body but they think they know better. I am a little worried about getting my iv started for surgery. I had surgery in Nov the nurse totally missed twice ad messed up both my hands. They had to get out the vein finder an infrared light and FINALLY found one in my forearm. I've already decided if they miss once they're done and I am going to INSIST on their best nurse or the anesthesiologist to get the job done. to tell the truth I'm more nervous about getting the iv than surgery I full confidence in my surgeon no so much in the preop nurses and techs here's hoping they actually listen to me
Thanks for letting my vent
Good luck to all
The Kermit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2015, 08:01 AM

I am a hard stick too. I'm the one they call the head nurse for. I always tell them, every time. I take a very serious tine, look them straight in the eye, and put my hands up and say, "listen, before we start, I have tiny veins that hide, I've never had an easy stick in my life and I always end up black and blue and sore from all the tries. Do you have someone here for people like me?"

They almost always try once or twice first but not before they agree to call the other person if they can't get it without hurting me. Also the best tip I ever got was during my first, and last blood donation. They said you have to drink a crap ton of water the day BEFORE. Doesn't matter how much you drink the day of, it has to be the day before, and it makes your veins plump and juicy.

Yuck. That was gross, lol
Unread 04-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Re: preop rant hysterectomy TLH 4/9

The last time I had blood drawn the tech hit my nerve and it felt like I had electrical impulse shooting down my arm into my hand. For over 3 weeks after that every time I extended my arm it felt like I was being shocked. It turns out she was very new on the job... I always seems to get lucky that way, and I am usually an easy stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Re: preop rant hysterectomy TLH 4/9

I am an incredibly easy stick. I always allow the students to practice on me. I figure if they practice on me, they won't have to practice on those that are hard sticks.

My mother was a terribly hard stick. It got to where I didn't just ask for someone that was trained for hard sticks. I demanded someone.

Most hospitals have experienced phlebotomists.

If you know you are a hard stick, don't put up with being a pin cushion.
Unread 04-03-2015, 03:45 PM

I'm sorry this happened to you. As a Phlebotomist I absolutely love when people tell me where to get blood from them. As you said you know your body better than anyone. I have absolutely NO veins. I usually give people 2 tries and then I'm like ok get someone else. I think that's what I'm dreading most about my surgery. Good Luck with yours and hopefully they get your IV the first time 😃.
Unread 04-03-2015, 09:46 PM

I can give blood quite easily. However, starting an IV is a completely different proposition.

I usually require premi needles. Also they always seem to hit me at valve. (Good lord that hurts.)

For my surgery, the anesthesiologist did my IV. I had a quick shot of novocaine, and then, after looking at my arm, he went and got the mobile ultrasound. He had to use that to insert the IV. (My vein squiggles and wiggled.)

Don't let them stick you multiple times. You don't know if you'll need another vein. My original IV infiltrated and had to be removed. I was just lucky they decided I didn't need a second IV site.

Best of luck on your surgery. Take (and demand) the best care of you that you can.

- Amy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register