Scheduled TAH Deciding between daVinci hysterectomy and Abdominal procedure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Deciding between daVinci hysterectomy and Abdominal procedure Deciding between daVinci hysterectomy and Abdominal procedure

Unread 03-24-2016, 08:12 PM
Deciding between daVinci hysterectomy and Abdominal procedure

Hi,
I am scheduled for a Davinci hysterectomy taking everything but my ovaries. I have fibroids and have been bleeding heavily during my period for years. I recently had to have a transfusion of two pints due to blood loss over time. I am worried that the Da Vinci carries too high a risk for spreading cancer since they can't check your fibroids beforehand. I just would like to hear from ladies who have had a Davinci hysterectomy and some who have had an abdominal one. I am currently leaning more towards an abdominal but will need to be concrete about my decision soon. Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2016, 08:37 PM
Re: Deciding between Da Vinci and Abdominal procedure

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy (only kept ovaries) last August and I was fortunate to have a textbook recovery. I had no pain (except gas pain and I drank peppermint tea for that) and I totally followed my doctor's orders which were to rest as needed but to also take walks and to not rush my recovery. I was prescribed Percocet for pain after I was discharged from the hospital but I never had to take it. My doctor advised me to take Motrin for the first couple of days after discharge and that worked fine for me. I took three weeks off from work and I returned to work without any issues. Everyone recovers at their own pace. I hope you choose the best option for you and good luck with your surgery.
Unread 03-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Re: Deciding between Da Vinci and Abdominal procedure

Hi...I had robotic 5 1/2 weeks ago and have felt good. Dr. Wasn't sure if he could complete mine because of the size of my uterus and scare tissue from 2 precious c sections and tubes tied. So happy he could complete it without cutting. I was driving within a week. Mind you only picking kids up from school.
Either way you choose will be the right choice for you.
Good luck!d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2016, 06:38 AM
Re: Deciding between daVinci hysterectomy and Abdominal procedure

I had an abdominal hysterectomy for endometrial cancer. Mine was a vertical incision, 7" from navel to pubis. Despite this, I had an easy recovery, with minimal pain and no complications. I had a three day hospital stay and was already off narcotics by the time I was released. At home, I had no trouble taking care of myself and my cats. I went for lots of short walks outdoors and could walk a mile in 15 minutes at two weeks.

I returned to work at a part-time desk job at four weeks, with restrictions on lifting more than 30 lbs. All restrictions were lifted at six weeks. By eight weeks my body felt back to normal except for some minor abdominal swelling in the evenings that lasted another month.
Unread 03-25-2016, 11:36 AM

The risk of cancer spread comes from cutting the uterus open in the abdominal cavity . The uterus can still be removed though vagina during laparoscopic and robotic hysterectomies as long as it is not too enlarged. Other times another might incision might be made to remove it. It depends on how large your uterus is and how the doctor plans to remove it.
Unread 03-25-2016, 03:11 PM

Please read other this article for a good overview Surgery Options for Fibroids

There are many other great articles in this section to explore. Please take your time making this important decision.
Unread 03-25-2016, 04:03 PM

Thank you so much ladies for your insight, it is truly awesome!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register