Internal cystitis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Internal cystitis Internal cystitis

Unread 12-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Internal cystitis

I am almost 10 weeks out from multi prolapse repairs and was wondering if anyone has experienced frequent urination issues. I think I may have internal cystitis symptoms. They started 4 weeks after my surgery and haven't stopped since. I have trouble getting any sleep at night as I am woken up constantly with the urge to go. I continue with urgency every 1/2 hour to hour throughout the day. My surgeon wants me to try and space bathroom visits out longer and to put me on detroplan (spell?). I'm not do sure about going on medicine as I'm afraid it will be a life long thing.

I hope my bladder just needs to settle from all the trauma. But I wonder why I didnt experience this the first four weeks.

Has anyone had to deal with this and did they get through it successfully?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Re: Internal cystitis

The main symptom of interstitial cystitis is pain. If you find that when your bladder fills up, it feels painful, and the pain subsides somewhat once you go, that is a big red flag for IC.

It sounds like you are having urgency issues. Is that from pain, or you just feel that you are going to go soon, like it or not? IC sufferers have urgency because their bladder is becoming very painful, but not because they are afraid they might leak. A few might also have incontinence issues, but most IC patients don't.

If frequency is your only symptom so far, it might be a temporary thing due to irritation of the bladder. If that's the case, I would recommend giving medication a try or waiting it out.
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Internal cystitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junipersunshine View Post
The main symptom of interstitial cystitis is pain. If you find that when your bladder fills up, it feels painful, and the pain subsides somewhat once you go, that is a big red flag for IC.

It sounds like you are having urgency issues. Is that from pain, or you just feel that you are going to go soon, like it or not? IC sufferers have urgency because their bladder is becoming very painful, but not because they are afraid they might leak. A few might also have incontinence issues, but most IC patients don't.

If frequency is your only symptom so far, it might be a temporary thing due to irritation of the bladder. If that's the case, I would recommend giving medication a try or waiting it out.
Juniper sunshine,

Thanks for your reply. It's not painful. Its more extremely uncomfortable. It's just that my bladder does not hold as much as it use to. I use to be able to wait 4-5 hours to go to the bathroom and now I can't hold it for 1/2 hour to an hour at a time. I wake up all through the night having to go also.

Thank-you for your reply and explanation. You've given me hope. Maybe it is temporary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2012, 09:15 PM

If they put in a bladder sling, it might be too tight and holding urine in which makes you feel like you have to go all the time. Pyridium does help a cranky bladder. I'm not sure if that's the same as what your doctor wants you to try. But, I would say, try it! It does help!
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Unless it's just due to swelling from the bladder prolapse repair, I'd say you have a case of cranky bladder. I always get a huge increase in frequency when my bladder area is "bumped" during a procedure, or after I have had a catheter or scope in there during something like a cystoscopy. It sounds like it's really aggravating! I hope your bladder mellows out soon, it sounds like it will. If it continues, there are a few medications that lessen the bladder spasms that are very effective. Vesicare is a new one that works pretty well.

Good Luck! I hope you feel better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register