Pre-op visit - more questions for you gals | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op visit - more questions for you gals Pre-op visit - more questions for you gals

Unread 11-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Pre-op visit - more questions for you gals

I went for my pre-op visit today and no one said anything about laxatives or enemas or citrate of magnesium (sp?). Are they just going to hand me an enema bag when I get there and expect me to use it or am I going to get lucky enough to get by without that horrible part of the visit? I'm hoping for the latter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2003, 09:12 PM

apenn, If nothing like that was mentioned to you at your pre op appt. then I would assume no enemas or laxatives are needed. I did NOT have any form of laxatives or enemas prior to my hyst. If you are uncertain, then I would give the doctor's office a call to make sure and ease your mind.

Emily s
Unread 11-17-2003, 09:18 PM

That was one question (of three pages of questions!) that I asked my dr. a few weeks ago. He said that "they" don't do that now, and I don't know if he was referring to the hospital or his office (he's one of about 8 OB/GYN's in the office). He did comment that he wished "they" did do it though. But as for me, well I'm relieved that I don't have to deal with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2003, 09:22 PM

Hi,

I was given an enema by the nurse at the hospital the morning of my surgery. I knew that I would be getting one because it was on my pre admit order forms. If you really are concerned about it, a call to your dr might be in order.

Best wishes.

s
Unread 11-18-2003, 12:10 AM

When I went in for my pre-op this past week, I asked nurse about bowel prep before my surgery. She told me that there would be none and just not to eat after midnight. BUT! She told me "off the record", that the less substance you have in your intestines, the less chance of gas post-op. She suggested eating very light the day before my surgery.
Unread 11-18-2003, 05:36 AM

I also had no bowel prep before surgery, but also was told that it would be in my best interest to eat lightly for the day or two before surgery so I had less food in my system. So, that is how I handled it. I think it helped me out. I have IBS and was very worried about how my bowels would react, but I really didn't have any problems, although it still does hurt to have a bm.

Good luck!
Unread 11-18-2003, 06:48 AM

My surgery is tomorrow, YIKES!! In my case my doctor was adamant about the bowel prep, as she thinks I may have adhesions in that area. Normally she does not reccommend them.
Their biggest concern is if they accidentally nick the bowel or have problems seperating the adhesions from the bowel, it is easier to get infected by the leak of the feces. I am only allowed breakfast today, then liquids until midnight. And, of course, I am starving!!!
They usually give you a small sip of water before surgery to take a couple of pills (at least this has been my experience) for prevention of stomach upset from the anesthesia. Don't worry! All will be fine. Just make sure to tell the A doctor you need something to calm you before surgery, and you'll be comfortable. Good luck!

Blessings,
Unread 11-18-2003, 08:53 AM

Hi

I had no bowel prep either (I've had them in the past and they're no picnic!). My pre op nurse made sure to tell me that I should drink A LOT of juice and/or water the day before - lots more than normal. She said one of the biggest problems in recovery is dehydration (not eating after midnight, then surgery then recovery, then feeling yucky = lots of hours without liquid = dehydration). I drank like a fish the day before and as soon as I woke up too (I was very thirsty).

Good luck!
Shelley
Unread 11-18-2003, 01:36 PM
pre-op routine

My surgeon also said "no bowel prep". However, not only was I not to eat after midnight, I was to have only clear liquids the day before. The nurse at my pre-op told me ('cause I was just starving) I could have veggie soup (but no meat) -- just chew thoroughly so it would digest quickly.

After the surgery I ate tons of fruits/veggies/bran cereal. Raisins really helped! My DR said I could take Dulcolax Stool Softener (not the laxative) 2xday for a week, then 1xday for a week. Smooth sailing! But, of course, check with your DR first.

lucyblue
My wish for All Princesses is to have the same wonderful care that I had during my Castle Visit.
Unread 11-18-2003, 01:57 PM

Lots of liquids sounds sensible. I drink lots of green tea, nothing added, not very strong either; I wonder if that would be ok the day before, and the morning of? If I have too much juice, the sugars do weird things to my system, and water is just plain boring.

Why no meat broth? I'm curious. Does it stick around in the bowel longer than veggie broth?

blessings

Orin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register