Just had EA, quick question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just had EA, quick question Just had EA, quick question

Unread 11-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Just had EA, quick question

Just curious to you ladies that have had Endometrial Ablation.

Had my period when going in ( day #6 of it ). They did the D&C, tubal, and partial fibroid removal. This was on Oct 22nd. I'm still dripping, but still with blood. It's not as heavy as a period, but it's definitely the drips tinged darker w/ blood. I'm reading where many ladies have had drips but they are clear.

I'm hoping that my ablation wasn't a failure. I know it's a wait and see. Just curious to see whether or not some of you ladies have had this and still had some success. I would hate to think that all I went through was for nothing.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2007, 09:30 AM

Hi I remember the discharge lasting a long time and changing throughout the course of healing. The initial bleeding I had is rather vague, but I remember it later changing to dark brown/w pink, then dark pink, light pink etc - but it also went back & forth a little bit for me.

It's too soon for you to know what your result will be, but I understand your concern. I know it's not easy to be patient waiting for your body to adjust because it's such a big wish that is wished for - ya can't wait to see if it will come true! No way to rush the results though. I won't say to relax and 'go with the flow' but I will say to try to relax and understand that the healing process takes time. The ablated lining still needs to slough off and will sort of "weep" as that occurs, but don't hesitate to call your GYN if you have questions or concerns about the amount you are experiencing.

I remember requiring a light pad or liner for several weeks (more than a month.) It got a little discouraging having to wear a liner for so long, but I had to remind myself that it was much better than flooding.

Crossing my fingers & saying a that you will have significant improvement in your symptoms.

s,
Beth
Unread 11-02-2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks Beth,
You're right that I need to be patient. It's difficult for me. I have had a year full of flooding, so this should be a breeze for me. I think I'm just so sick of wearing pads continously. The good thing is, I would go through 32 of them in about 2 days and now I'm just using 3-4 a day ( just for good hygiene, I probably don't even need to ). After having a period that lasted a month, at least this is much lighter! I just hope that the length of my periods is cut down to just a few days of spotting which is what the doctor says is the norm for the type of ablation I had perfomed. Only time will tell.

Thanks for your concern and prayers. They are much appreciated. :-)

In the meantime, I'll try to be patient. It's already been almost two weeks, so at best I'm halfway done with the dripping. :-)

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Re: had EA, quick question

Not sure if it helps, but I can relate my experience. I had a Thermal Balloon ablation done in June 2005. Pre-EA, my periods were 21 days apart, lasted 10-12 days, and I would easily go through a box of 60 super plus tampons AND a package of super overnight pads! Talk about getting expensive!! Not to mention the anemia. My GYN and I decided that since I had just turned 40, and was several years away from menopause, an EA was a good option. I had a D&C done with my EA too, and was halfway through my cycle on the day of the surgery. Post-op, I wondered what the ladies were talking about, as I had NO drips at all. However, day 6 they started, then it led into my first PAP (period after ablation). I bled for 10 days again, and dreaded the thought that my EA hadn't been successful. I ended up with discharge of nearly every colour in the rainbow (not really, but it seemed that way! ) until about the fifth week after the surgery. Then it stopped. My second PAP was much shorter, only lasted 4 days, and was much lighter. By the time I hit my 6 month mark, I was down to a period that lasted 3 days, and used about 4-5 regular tampons, with a pantyliner backup (can't get rid of the "flooding" paranoia!! ) Now, 2 and a half years later, I am still only bleeding for 3 days, and still using about the same amount of protection. I think the hardest part of the EA was waiting for the final results. That and some of the unexpected results that I ended up with. For two months after the EA, my emotions were on a constant roller coaster, and the sore boobs that I suffered during my PMS days were enough to drive me out of my bra!! However, I got through them, and am still very happy with the results! I have just recently joined the hystersisters (am still a member of a forum dedicated to EAs) as I recently found out during a regular physical that I have some issues going on. My dr. ordered a pelvic ultrasound, and as a result, my referral back to my GYN has resulted in my finding out that I have multiple fibroids, and a cyst on my right ovary. (I had NO fibroids before, or else my GYN would not have chosed to do the EA). My uterus is now the size of a 10 week pregnancy!! UGH! My mother had a hyster at age 46 for fibroids, and it looks as though I may be headed down the same road. The GYN isn't sure how quickly the fibroids are growing, so he has rescheduled a repeat ultrasound for March. If they are growing at a strong enough pace to warrant a hyster, he has suggested doing one in the spring. (He told me that had I presented with a 14 week uterus, he would have discussed a hyster before Christmas!! ) I have noticed that sometime in the change between the summer and fall, I started to notice a difference in my bladder, and it's functioning, so I am guessing that's when the fibroid symptoms first started. I just wasn't quick enough to clue in! I have recently lost 30 lbs, and was enjoying fitting into a smaller pair of pants. Now, I am wondering what size I should truly be in, as I was wearing maternity clothes by 11 weeks with each of my pregnancies!!
Unread 11-07-2007, 06:08 AM

Crafting addict,
Thanks for your input as well. I hope that everything goes well for you. I know about the dreaded fibroids. ( I had one, but they did the ablation anyway, which is why I'm worried that I'm still bleeding. ) I'm wondering
since you haven't had any increased bleeding, what type of fibroids that you have. Congrats on losing 30 pounds! That is fantastic! I need to
lose about that much myself. The way I'm feeling it's not going to be anytime soon. LOL

Hang in there and hopefully everything will work out for you as well.

Thanks again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register