How long did you use advil? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long did you use advil? How long did you use advil?

Unread 12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
How long did you use advil?

I'm 2 weeks along and I still live for advil.

I used vicodin and advil when I came home from the hospital. I cut back the vicodin to only before bed the first week, but still took 600mg advil every 6 hours.

I no longer take the vicodin at night and I wanted to cut back on the advil, so I switched to 400 mg every 6-7 hours. I was a little sore, not in pain, but just not comfortable at all. If I do ANY activity I'm not happy.

I asked the doctor at my 2 week check-up yesterday, and he wasn't too concerned. He didn't really give me a time frame that I should be off advil either. The nurse mentioned supplementing with tylenol for pain.

My question: is this normal? Are other people still taking advil at 2 weeks?

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Re: How long did you use advil?

Absolutely! ;-) Many women are still on pain pills at 2 weeks. You are doing great.

Unread 12-08-2009, 01:08 PM

I had my abdominal hysterectomy on November 5th and I am sill having pain. I am down to 1 percocet in the evening. My back hurts and my incision is sore. Advil doesn't work for me so I would say you are doing great. I am not happy when I do things either and no one seems to understand they just push you to do more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2009, 03:54 PM

Hey thanks. I guess I have ants in my pants to be "all better" and it makes me question my healing process.

hoppidy - I also feel the push to do more. I'm sorry no one understands. I seem to have a mix around me of those who do and those who definitely don't. Hang in there!
Unread 12-08-2009, 06:24 PM

I am almost 7 weeks postop and on 600mg advil still. I pretty much take it around the clock or my body protests. My doc said everyone heals differently, so keep popping the pain meds of you need them
Unread 12-08-2009, 09:53 PM

Thanks uclasister!
Unread 12-10-2009, 09:53 AM

I had my LAV on Nov. 4th.I also have arthritis,so the Advil is necessary as breathing to me.I had Darvocet after surgery,along with my ibuprofen I still had pain,but it was managed.I still take 4-5 ibuprofen daily,for my arthritis,my DR says it helps with inflammation.Istill have cramps,the ibuprofen keeps it manageable sort of.
Unread 12-11-2009, 05:56 PM

Hello, I'm 5 1/2 weeks post-TAH, done via full abdominal incision. This week I've really started to feel better. I do take 2 Advil, 3x/day, and will keep on that through my 6 week app't (was on prescription meds until Thanksgiving, then prescription ibuprofen until last Thursday). But in the mornings, I've been feeling really good this week; get tired in the afternoons, though. Went to the office for a couple hours yesterday, and we'll see about next week. I guess I'm amazed at how much better I started feeling this week...but definitely not pushing things because we have "only one chance to heal right!"

Good luck to you!
Unread 12-11-2009, 06:07 PM

Thanks mississippigal and love2ski -

I went back on the 600 mg advil. Decided walking was more important than cutting back the advil right now. I'll try to cut back again in a few days. When I take the advil I feel pretty good, better every day. Just hope it's the right decision.

It's so hard to decide what is normal, what is not. What activities are good for you and what is too much. I really appreciate your input.

Thanks.
Unread 12-12-2009, 04:07 AM

If you need extra pain meds, even if advil, to compensate for your activity, that can be a bit dangerous because it can be a way of not listening to the pain your body is telling you about so that you can cut back the activity. But I don't know how much pain your in or howmuch walking your doing, so it's, of course, up to you. ;-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register