anyone hear of starting with davinci but ending up with abdominal??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone hear of starting with davinci but ending up with abdominal??? anyone hear of starting with davinci but ending up with abdominal???

Unread 12-15-2011, 11:02 AM
anyone hear of starting with davinci but ending up with abdominal???

I'm super nervous as I go in tomorrow. He said he will start off davinci, but cannot guarantee that he wont have to stop that and cut me to complete. Has anyone heard of this? I think I am more scared to wake up and not know if I've had the BIG cut or not more than anything else.

Do they staple you for the big cut? I am going to guess just surgical tape or a stitch or two for the davinci holes?

Do I expect to bleed vaginally after this?

Gosh, I'm freaking out just when I thought I learned everything on here from you all, I think I have forgotten it all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Re: anyone hear of starting with davinci but ending up with abdominal???

My Dr gave me the option of starting with LAVH and going to TAH if needed. His reasons were 1) if there were a lot of adhesions or endo that he needed to open me up for or 2) if my uterus or fibroids were too big to get out the other way. I ended up choosing to start off with TAH.

I had internal stitches, glue, and staples. ( it doesn't hurt when they get taken out) My cut was a lot lower than I was expecting. For some reason I was thinking it would be a little below my belly button but it's actually right at your hair line. My laparascopic surgeries were glued shut with steri-strips.

I think a lot of people bleed vaginally some but I myself didn't at all. I never did with any of my previous 4 laps.

I know it's not easy but don't stress yourself out too much (I did). It really isn't as bad as you think!
Unread 12-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Hi Kathy 1970. I also did the DaVinci, but ended up with an abdominal incision, about 5" with staples. I had a VH with repairs 6 weeks earlier, and had the second surgery to do the BSO and finish the repairs. Because of scar tissue and adhesions from the first surgery, DR did the abdominal after setting me up for the DaVinci. So I had 5 little 1/2" incisions plus the 5" incision at the hair line. I don't think it's that common, but it does happen. Why does your DR feel he may not be able to complete the DaVinci? I sure hope the DaVinci works for you as the recovery time is so much quicker.

Each DR does it differently, but I had a staple in each DaVinci incision, and aroung 15 in the ab incision. They were not a big deal, and when they took them out, I didn't feel a thing. They then steri stripped all incisions for a week or so. I did bleed a little, but my discharge was mostly my stitches from my VH dissolving. Again, we are all different.

Hang in there, hon. This is the worst day of all, and tomorrow you'll just go to sleep, and then you'll be fine. Good luck and we'll see you on the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2011, 05:47 PM

abdominal cut is like c-section cut and doc will usually cut straight over c-section scar.mine did and he said most doctors try to do this.i didnt have any staples.they just superglued me.its kinda good but you're alway afraid glue wont stick.but yeah recoverytime is longer but if you've had ac-section thats how abdominal will put you in the mind of but a lot worse.i didnt bleed vaginally though.i've heard some women do and some dont

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register