TLH Coughing 3 days post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Coughing 3 days post hysterectomy Coughing 3 days post hysterectomy

Unread 07-01-2016, 12:59 PM
Coughing 3 days post hysterectomy

I'm 3 days post-op recovery. My sinuses have started draining and is causing me to cough a lot. Should I be concerned about coughing a lot? Will the coughing hurt anything? When I cough, I am covering my stomach with a pillow, which helps a lot. My surgery was done laparoscopic, so I only have 3 incisions. Other than the coughing, I am doing super! I didn't have to take any pain meds throughout the entire surgery. I am able to walk around. I'm just worried about hurting something when I am coughing. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Re: Coughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloney View Post
I'm 3 days post-op recovery. My sinuses have started draining and is causing me to cough a lot. Should I be concerned about coughing a lot? Will the coughing hurt anything? When I cough, I am covering my stomach with a pillow, which helps a lot. My surgery was done laparoscopic, so I only have 3 incisions. Other than the coughing, I am doing super! I didn't have to take any pain meds throughout the entire surgery. I am able to walk around. I'm just worried about hurting something when I am coughing. Help!
and you have my total sympathy . You're doing fine by holding a pillow to your tummy. Though I wasn't asked to cough before I left the hospital, I was told in a hysterectomy prep class that we might be asked to do so - just to be sure we could handle it. I've not read any articles or stories that indicate we shouldn't cough, but I think everyone has a post-op story about that time they coughed, laughed, sneezed. Then there are the poor Sisters who have allergies! Unless a coughing fit has brought on bleeding or severe pain, I'll venture to say you're probably a-okay.

My first sneeze was way worse than my first cough! I was 3 days post-op, didn't have time to grab my pillow, and ohhhh, I just about went through the ceiling!

Rest well, Sister
Unread 07-01-2016, 04:14 PM

I had an asthma flare up about 3 days post op, had uncontrollable coughing for several days. I was scared to death, but I didn't open any incisions or anything. The worst thing was that coughing didn't feel great. You can also try bending your legs so that your knees are straight up if you are lying or sitting, that helped me a lot. If I was standing, I kind of bent over a little at the waist. Hope you feel better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2016, 04:40 PM

Hi, most likely the coughing is from being intubated from surgery w oxygen. It can cause congestion & mucus. Youll need to do breathing exercises throughout the day until it clears up. They should have given you a device to breath into. If not, blowing up a latex glove or balloon. Take deep breaths inhale, hold, exhale.

I was aware bf surgery to do breathing exercises & maybe id get a cough... 24 hrs after my surgery, I was in hospital bed, I coughed TMI & I was surprised I coughed some wad junk & it felt stuck. My fast reflexes, I went to jump up to jump standing on the bed to finish my cough. My legs were attached to those darn DVT boots velcro-ed to my legs & they pulled me down. I ripped them off so fast, stood up to finish coughing all while scared thinking, what the heck was that??? My 2nd thought was, Oops! I really shouldnt be jumping around on the bed! Just then, my husband sees me standing in the middle of the bed in my hospital gown & says, "What do you think youre doing?" LOL! Luckily I didnt damage anything!

Im one of those with allergies! Luckily I was OK for a few days bc my surgery was in January..But that was a concern between anesthesia & allergies... Call your Dr ask if you can take allergy meds w any other meds youve been prescribed. My favs are Zyrtec D, Flonase & Astelin. (but yoy need to clear w your DR).. It gets better!
Unread 07-01-2016, 04:57 PM

I'm suffering allergy induced sinusitis so I have been sneezing and coughing a storm! I am 15 days post op....I grab my belly and squeeze my legs together. I haven't had too much pain meds, just my ibuprofen so I added back in my allergy medications and a decongestant. Good luck!
Unread 07-01-2016, 05:27 PM

Thanks sisters. Coughing really do not feel good. I am hoping this subsides quickly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register