partial hyster. and MS | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

partial hyster. and MS partial hyster. and MS

Unread 12-04-2011, 05:45 AM
partial hyster. and MS

Hello....I am scheduled for a partial hysterctomy...uterus only....on 12/15 and have MS. They ar doing the da vinci robotics. I am very nervous and wondering how everyone is doing.
Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Re: partial hyster. and MS

I am 37, have MS and had my uterus and cervix removed via DaVinci lap surgery on 1-10-12. I am exhausted! Of course we all know that is not abnormal with MS. I just feel like my doctor didn't take my MS seriously. I even talked to my doctor about my trouble sleeping and the anxiety issues I have. Without my restoril, I can't sleep at all, and without my occasional xanax which I need when I am very anxious, I freak out. He assured me that all of my anxiety and sleep would be adequately controlled during my hospital stay. I only got 30 minutes of sleep in the hospital, and was having serious anxiety issues, which we all know is bad for MS. When I asked the nurses about these issues, they said that I could not have my xanax or my restoril because I was on a pain pump. I feel like my doctor lied to me. He knew I was going to be on a pain pump. I also feel that my healing suffered a setback due to these things. I was vigilant in my concerns at my pre-op appointment. He also said he was leaving my cervix, and when I woke up it had been removed. I know I will heal, but I think I am in more pain and more tired than I would have been if what he had said was going to happen actually happened. Doctors get irritated sometimes when you question them, but if I ever have anything done again I will go over everything again point by point like I did before and also get the doctor to initial each point. My 4 week post-op is coming up on 2-8-12, and I plan on bringing these things up. My best advice to anyone having this surgery who also has MS is to treat your body extra carefully. We already are tired, in pain, etc. I think the recovery just needs careful attention, so you don't overdo it. At almost 4 weeks post-op, my recovery seems more comparable to that of 2 weeks. Just be careful and take extra care of yourself.
Unread 02-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Hi girls,
So glad to read this...i am scheduled for my surgery on 2/27 and also have MS. I am more concerned about how the surgery will affect my MS than anything else. I was diagnosed almost 14 years ago, only had one major flare up and that was after the birth of my second child. I know that the stress of the surgery on my body is a concern.....trying to keep it calm. I know we are all different, keeping my fingers crossed that my recovery won't be compromised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaathome8763 View Post
Hi girls,
So glad to read this...i am scheduled for my surgery on 2/27 and also have MS. I am more concerned about how the surgery will affect my MS than anything else. I was diagnosed almost 14 years ago, only had one major flare up and that was after the birth of my second child. I know that the stress of the surgery on my body is a concern.....trying to keep it calm. I know we are all different, keeping my fingers crossed that my recovery won't be compromised.
Hi there---

I have MS too --and had my TAH BSO ON January 30th. Doing okay, flare-wise, but leg is starting to get that familiar heavy feeling, and slight numbing on the bottom of my foot. Of course, I eased up on percoset today, so maybe the pain would have already been there?

So glad the surgery is behind me. I hope you will feel that way, too.
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:51 AM

Hi all,

I do not have MS, but Cerebral Palsy. Scheduled TAH for 2-29-12. I expect my recovery to be slower than normal as well. I have hypertonia and am spastic, so any trauma-surgery- increases these. My main delimma is whether to keep the ovaries or not (assuming they're healthy). At 38, I'm still far from menopause, but beginning to feel the arthritis forming from the CP, lower energy and stamina and strength. Wouldn't I be better able to cope with menopause now than 15 years down the road?
I'm very new here, but everything seems to slant toward 'keep the ovaries'--for the non-disabled sisters.

Good luck everyone in your processes!
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedelenm View Post
Hi all,

I do not have MS, but Cerebral Palsy. Scheduled TAH for 2-29-12. I expect my recovery to be slower than normal as well. I have hypertonia and am spastic, so any trauma-surgery- increases these. My main delimma is whether to keep the ovaries or not (assuming they're healthy). At 38, I'm still far from menopause, but beginning to feel the arthritis forming from the CP, lower energy and stamina and strength. Wouldn't I be better able to cope with menopause now than 15 years down the road?
I'm very new here, but everything seems to slant toward 'keep the ovaries'--for the non-disabled sisters.

Good luck everyone in your processes!

Does your doctor have a recommendation? You are still so young, and the ovaries protect your bones, heart, skin and so much more... And down the line given your current health status, do you want to contend with osteoporosis or heart issues instead of the symptoms of natural menopause? It is a difficult question you are facing. Good luck!!!
Unread 02-06-2012, 10:45 AM

My doctor is leaving it up to me. My CP is not severe (I walk, drive, have had a DD, and can do most things in my own way), but I can tell already my functioning is not a high as 2+ years ago.
At this point I feel like it's a toss-up whether it'd be better to keep the ovaries or not. And I've never found doctors who have experience with a person like me (disabled but quite independent). So, I'm just getting as much info as I can. I'm leaning towards keeping the ovaries and hoping the surgery induces menopause early.

Any insight is helpful! Thanks.
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedelenm View Post
My doctor is leaving it up to me. My CP is not severe (I walk, drive, have had a DD, and can do most things in my own way), but I can tell already my functioning is not a high as 2+ years ago.
At this point I feel like it's a toss-up whether it'd be better to keep the ovaries or not. And I've never found doctors who have experience with a person like me (disabled but quite independent). So, I'm just getting as much info as I can. I'm leaning towards keeping the ovaries and hoping the surgery induces menopause early.

Any insight is helpful! Thanks.
Does the doc say a hysterectomy may induce early menopause?

What are your reasons for wanting early menopause?

One good thing about losing your ovaries while 'in there' is that you will avoid ovarian cancer, I should think. No cysts, etc. why is your uterus going? Is your cervix going too?

You could go on HRT for heart and bone health.

Does cancer risk play a role in your decision?
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:39 PM

While appreciate the "keep your ovaries" opinion, I'm somewhat confused as to the reasoning. I understand they produce hormones etc, but these hormones can be obtained outside the body quite easily. In my case, I chose to remove them to prevent future surgeries due to malfunction or cancer. I feel that my hormones are better maintained without my ovaries. My DR and I have tweaked the dose to perfection. I feel great!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register