new here and having surgery7-23-04 and scared with lots of ?????? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new here and having surgery7-23-04 and scared with  lots of ?????? new here and having surgery7-23-04 and scared with lots of ??????

Unread 07-10-2004, 08:37 AM
new here and having surgery7-23-04 and scared with lots of ??????

Hi again Garla,
You will definitely need help with the kids. Does your 15 month old know how to walk and get in his/her bed or crib? My husband made a step stool chair leading to the crib for my daughter age 2 at the time so she could get in and out by herself. I was told I wasn't allowed to lift her at all. She had to do all the getting in and out of her crib if my hubby was not here at nap time. My hubby did take the first few weeks off from work but even after that I still had lifting restrictions till my vaginal cuff healed at 17 weeks. I was told by my dr. that I could lift her after six weeks but I held off because the cuff wasn't healed. I didn't think it was a good idea putting added stress and weight on it. I was able to open up a couch bed in the living room so I could be out with the kids during the day so I wasn't up on my feet or sitting to much all day. If you have a couch that opens up into a bed in the living room I highly recommend it. It will alert the kids that you are not healed and need to be careful. You can explain to your kids that you have a big boo boo in your belly and can't pick them up till the dr. says it's ok. I was able to have my kids join me on the couch bed every night before they went to their own beds so that I could read them books. It was my time with them and they felt close to me that way. Sometimes they would bring a toy or two in the bed and we would play together. They were ages 2, 5, and 7 at the time of my TVH. I would be getting the rest but also bonding with them at the same time. Do you have any family members or friends that could come and help you out with the kids for the first week that you are home from the hospital? I would try and get someone to come and stay with you if your husband can't get any additional time off from work. Also try and have him around or even in the bathroom when you take your first couple of showers. It's not fun when you drop the bar of soap and don't have anyone there to help you pick it up. Soap on a rope is not a bad idea or even one of those back scrubbie things with the mesh sponges on it that you can put body wash on works great at getting areas like your back and legs so you don't have to bend over or reach to far around. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2004, 09:33 AM

garyla,
I had a TVH on 6/29,and I am one of the quick healers.I had my surgery at 3:30 in the afternoon and needed no pain killers beyond 5:30 the next morning.The only issue I had was an allergic reaction to the versed in my epidural that caused them to have to go to general anes. I woke up rough due to the general,but haven't looked back since.But..... I do not have small children.You will really need help with them.I have had zero to no pain but find that when I need to sleep,I need to do it on command! Hard to do with a 18 month old! You should be able to take care of your own personnal needs,but you will not be able to care for one so young.The others in here have given you a great amount of info,but if you have more questions after reading all the posts,feel free to ask.
Amber
Unread 07-10-2004, 09:45 AM

Garyla75 its a good time to call in those girlfriend favors...I had planned to have my sister come up then we found out she going in with me we'll hospital roomies so shes out for help afterwards but her church group is cooking dinners for my family for a week that will help out..My work chipped in and hired a maid to come in the day before surgery and clean my house top to bottom ( I think they only did this cause I'm planning on being back to work at 2 weeks) maybe that will happen maybe it won't.....But I live in a small subdivision only about 40 homes and when the word spread about my surgery I had some volunteers to come and do a few things if needed so ask around you'd be surprised who's willing to help most don't offer for fear of being intrusive...Hope it all works out for you......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register