How important is a post-op appt? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How important is a post-op appt? How important is a post-op appt?

Unread 11-20-2008, 02:08 PM
How important is a post-op appt?

I ask how important this is because looks like I am not getting one anytime soon. I had a TVH on Oct. 30. My doc is military and they only do their schedule so far out. So I call to get my appt. and they tell me... brace yourself..... they can't see me until Dec 24.

First off why are they open Christmas eve? I was also told if I didn't take that one I would have to call back in Jan to set up an appt.

I'm a little peeved because I have not seen or talked to my doc since surgery. Now there really isn't any reason for us to talk. BUT, I have no clue on my pathology report, what happened during surgery other then I kept my tubes and ovaries.

After reading about everyone going in at 2 or 4 weeks and 6 weeks I'm wondering about the what ifs... How the heck do I know if everything is healing inside the way it should. I can't see in there. Granted it is all internal and I am in no pain, but still. Don't you think they want to take a look or something?

Sorry for rambling I just can't make any sense of this. I do love my doc, but the woman who answered the phone needs to work on her people skills. I told her to have the doc call me to tell me what I am allowed to do at 6 weeks since she isn't going to see me and I sure as heck am not going to continue to wait on sex past 6 weeks if she can't see me.

I feel like just showing up and saying I'm here.. see me or see how I freak out your other patients. I will roll on the floor crying and clutching my tummy in pain, telling them how horrible the surgery was and make up all kinds of complications. LOL I am kidding I won't do that. I don't think.

Cristy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2008, 02:45 PM

Hi Cristy

Here in the UK we only get a post op appointment if we go privately!

I didn't see my Dr until 7 weeks post op and she was very dismissive of my concerns and said she wasn't used to her patients coming in with a list of questions (they can't know about Hystersisters then!), she only did an internal because I was concerned about a discharge.

She didn't have my pathology to hand and eventually agreed to post me a copy but she did say it would have been all clear or her team would have been chasing her to see me earlier.

But, I still wanted to be seen before I got up to any activity with DH and I wanted a speculum up there to check nothing was wrong first!

If you feel the need to roll on the floor clutching your tummy go ahead!

Hugs

Katy
Unread 11-20-2008, 03:26 PM

LOL Katy. Thanks. It just kills me. Someone called from the docs office to tell me at six weeks I can resume all activity to include sex and any exercise I want. I do have the option to call daily to see if someone happened to call and cancel an appt. But with our military doctor offices people do not call to cancel, they just don't show up.

I do feel good to know I am not alone with waiting so long for an appointment.

Cristy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2008, 05:15 PM

cristy can you make an appointment with your PCP, maybe they can do the 6wk exam to give you the all clear?
Unread 11-20-2008, 06:33 PM

I went yesterday for my 5 week exam, and after everything I read on this site, I was shocked that he never did a pelvic exam. He released me from all restrictions, and told me to follow up wth my regular doctor.
Unread 11-20-2008, 10:15 PM

Umm...that appointment is only 10 days after the 6 weeks mark......sounds good to me.
Unread 11-20-2008, 10:41 PM

Oh, Cristy, I am sorry you are not getting the postop care you feel you need from your doctors.

I was really pampered by my surgeon and my primary care physician. I saw both of them at 2, 4, and 6 weeks. My PCP has continued postop care after the surgeon released me at 6 weeks. I have seen him twice since then - at 9 weeks and at 12 weeks. My next appointment is in 3 months (6 months postop). I had complications with severe anemia and a possible heart defect, however, that needed to be monitored closely, and I am still taking anticoagulants for a DVT which was discovered only 6 weeks prior to my hyster, so my case may just require more visits than an ordinary hysterectomy would require. But it has been very reassuring and comforting to receive the care and attention I have gotten from them.

PCP has also been carefully and slowly weaning me from the enormous amount of meds I was taking to control high blood pressure and anxiety. I am happy to say that I have only two meds I am taking now - the Coumadin (anticoagulant) and one high blood pressure pill. I feel great now that my system is cleared of all of those drugs!

I hope you get the answers you are looking for. Maybe you should just keep calling and bothering them until you get more attention! At least then you can take comfort in the fact that you have been a thorn in their collective behinds!
Unread 11-20-2008, 10:53 PM

I went in for a 2 week post op today, didn't seem that important to me. I thought he'd do an exam but didn't. We went over the surgery and why my ablation wasn't successful. The appt. was interesting, but not vital.

He said at 6 weeks he'd do an exam.
Unread 11-21-2008, 02:32 AM

Cristy:
I think that if you are feeling good, then by all means go about your routine. The appt. is only 8 wks from surgery so it is not that far out.
I had to go back in 10 days to have the staples out but other than that, I didn't see him until after 6 wks also.,... However we had to wait 10 wks to have sex.
Unread 11-21-2008, 05:13 AM
post op

hi i was interested to see your reply i also live in uk had tah 15th oct and im not seeing surgeon until nxt march which im concerned about have phoned hospital but they are not interested,how do i know im ok to resume all activities till ive been checked?did you see surgeon at 7wks or local gp also did you pay for appt if with surgeon?i was not informed that i would have to pay.have started complaint procedure
  Quote:
Originally Posted by MatyMoo
Hi Cristy against hospital?

Here in the UK we only get a post op appointment if we go privately!

I didn't see my Dr until 7 weeks post op and she was very dismissive of my concerns and said she wasn't used to her patients coming in with a list of questions (they can't know about Hystersisters then!), she only did an internal because I was concerned about a discharge.

She didn't have my pathology to hand and eventually agreed to post me a copy but she did say it would have been all clear or her team would have been chasing her to see me earlier.

But, I still wanted to be seen before I got up to any activity with DH and I wanted a speculum up there to check nothing was wrong first!

If you feel the need to roll on the floor clutching your tummy go ahead!

Hugs

Katy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register