Should I have an epidural with my total hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I have an epidural with my total hysterectomy? Should I have an epidural with my total hysterectomy?

Unread 06-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Should I have an epidural with my total hysterectomy?

Just found out I need this because of masses on bother ovaries and endometrium. Surgery is July 7. Trying to decide if I should have an epidural or just go with IV meds alone. I had an epidural with the vaginal delivery of my only child with no problem. Anyone have a perspective on pros or cons with the epidural? Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Re: Should I have an epidural with my total hysterectomy?

I had both. The epidural was for lower pain, they also put morphine in it, and I also had a general when I was intubated.
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:15 PM

If you're looking for some good information from an actual doctor this site has videos about epidural and pain medicine. It is in regard to labor, however still applicable.

medtwice.com/pain-medicine/
medtwice.com/epidural/

The doctor there explains the options really well. I would get an epidural. They are really safe and effective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2012, 07:35 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I had one for a uterine fibroid embolization a number of years ago and had no problems with it. Also had a PCA pump for pain and with all that didn't have much pain to speak of - very tolerable. So with that experience I figured I would have it again for this. My surgery is Monday. Once I left my office today (for who knows how long) my mind then started to come up with a million questions about surgery and recovery. This was one of the things I was pondering.
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:41 PM

I have experience with spinals and the pain control just can't be beat. The meds they give us during surgery cause a lot of women to not even remember recovery. If you're like that, then an epi probably isn't necessary. I, however, and very lucid. I can hear, talk, and feel before I can even open my eyes. I woke up in a lot of pain and it took an hour to get it under control. I would have loved an epi, but my doctor didn't offer one. Either way you'll be ok. They'll medicate you and take good care of you. If sedatives and meds work well for you then an epi may be overkill, but if it takes a lot to knock you out or to control pain, then an epi is a great choice.
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:59 PM

I wish an epidural was an option for me, while in holding room i thought about asking my anesthesiologist to ask my dr for it but thing turned to chaos when he saw in my chart i had asthma and immediately requested a breathing treatment to be safe then freaked out over antibiotic choice and argued with my dr about it due to my drug allergies (penicillin but only makes me itch) so through all that i forgot to ask. Next thing i remember was waking up in so much pain and pain meds werent helping but only dropping my oxygen so ended up on oxygen rest of day and overnight. So wish i had the epidural. Was a 5 hour davinci hysterectomy. Id ask about the epi.
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:24 AM

Thank you all for your input and encouragement. Your comments gave me the reassurance I was looking for. I will definitely go with the epidural.
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:52 AM

good decision! I had mine with it, and it was the best thing! God bless
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Should I have an epidural with my total hysterectomy?

Yes ... I would recommend you did the epidural. I could not have one due to the shape of my spine. I assumed the anesthesiologist would give me something else to control pain before I woke up ... He did not give anything for pain. Waking up was the worst experience of my life. Every person and doctor are different. I would suggest to everyone to het the epidural, but if you decide not make sure they will give you something else. I wish I could have had the epidural I know my recovery would have been so much better. Just remember its your decision in the end and do what you think is right. I hope you have easy and happy recovery!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register