A NEWBIE[Long] | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A NEWBIE[Long] A NEWBIE[Long]

Unread 03-03-2002, 12:25 PM
A NEWBIE[Long]

Hi,
I'm new to this board, and am I glad I found you. For a whole day now I've been reading posts and soaking up information. You have all answered a lot of my questions.
I haven't seen too many posts with my problem of bleeding with no fibroids or endometiosis. I'm just bleeding. I'm 53 years old and hadn't had a period for 2 years. I was put on estogen cream for vaginal dryness 2 years ago. It caused some spotting and I eventually weaned myself off. But the dryness got bad again and my doctor prescribed the cream again. The spotting started again. SO my doctor wanted an endometrial biopsy done. Negative except for a polyp snagged out & biopsied(negative).
So my nurse practitioner tried me on a combintion of estrogen and progesterone...in one week increased bleeding. ANother prescription change and more progesterone. THe bleeding got worse. I put up with a month of increasing bleeding and finally called for another appointment with my nurse practitioner.
SHe said I could go for a D&C and ablation and hystocsopy(sp?) but she felt the end result would be a hysterectomy anyway. SHe felt with one polyp already(plus colon polyps too) that more were likely . And with a double uterus and cervix this may be part of the problem.
She has had the same problem of bleeding and fought having anything done.SHe insisted on all the procedures. Finally she gave in and had the surgery...according to her she wishes she had done it sooner.
She suggests removing the ueterus and cervix(because bleeding from the cervix is still likely) and removing the ovaries. WIth my increased weight and not having children, my chances are slightly increased for ovarian cancer.
Soooo. I'm set for surgery on April 2nd with post- op on March 26 and talking with the surgeon also on the 26th.
I was put on iron supplements because I am now anemic and told to stay on HRT and to take it easy since i am bleeding so hard.
Of course I am nervous...even a little scared. I worry about the darndest things. My husband and I have our own dental laboratory and I will have to be off at least 4 weeks. I worry about him trying to handle all the additional work, plus the additional stuff at home. I worry about all the steps my house has and how I'm going to get into it. I worry about surgery and being in the hospital. THe last time I was in the hospital was when I had my tonsils out at the age of 4
I'm am so glad I found this board. I feel I can lay it all out and even vent some. I don't want to lay too much on my husband. My sister is helpful, but she is worried and I don't want to worry her too much.
Thanks for being here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 12:45 PM
A NEWBIE[Long]

Hi Virginia,
A hysteroscopy and d & c might help the doctor to determine if hyperplasia or fibroids inside the uterus are causing some of your problems. It's done as out patient and they give you pain medication (I didn't feel a thing and went out to lunch after--though due to anesthesia had to remain away from work all day).

Had my surgery in Nov. No steps to contend with, however doctor would have permitted some up and down as long as I didn't carry anything (also suggested attacking steps one at a time (toddler fashion).

My stay at the hospital was fine (3 nights as my surgery ended up starting quite late the day of the operation). Had wonderful nurse who took me through day 2.

As for work, DH will really appreciate you all the more at home and at work, if he ends up doing most of the work himself.

Do learn as much as possible about your surgery options. The ladies here are wonderful. Janet
Unread 03-03-2002, 04:03 PM
A NEWBIE[Long]

Hi Ginny,

Just wanted to send big s your way. I know the continual bleeding is enough to get a person down and depressed. I go in on 3/14 for a TAH, and I am nervous to say the least. I've never been in the hospital except for having 3 babies and I think that is a lot different from this. Just keep thinking that surely there is gonna be better days ahead when this is all over. I wish you the very best.

Thumbsup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 04:29 PM
A NEWBIE[Long]

I just had to reply, as your situation kind of parallels mine. I had bleeding and some nerve problems about 1 1/2 years ago; I am 53 and my doc put me on Premarin, which calmed my nerves but as time went on I had increasing bleeding and less time between my periods and increasing pain. I had a D&C and endometrial ablation in November 2001, the pathology report showed precancerous cells so I opted for a hysterectomy. (TVH-BSO) The final pathology showed no cancer, but extensive adenomyosis and endometriosis of one tube and lots of fibroids. I am very satisfied that I made the right decision for me to have the hysterectomy. I have elected not to go back to work til 6 weeks; I probably could have gone back part time at 4 or 5 weeks, but that is totally dependent on your recovery. Your doctor will help you decide on that. I think that the first two weeks of recovery is the crucial period, really doing nothing but minimal during that time. I had not had any good experiences with surgery prior to my D&C, rest assured that the anesthesia and post recovery practices have changed a lot over the years! Keep in touch and good luck with your decision.

Unread 03-03-2002, 05:46 PM
A NEWBIE[Long]

Ginny!

I will tell you that bleeding isn't fun. 3 weeks out of a month was too much for me!

Don't worry about the after, everything falls into place. I was worried too, but hubby has taken care of totally everything for me.

It's a tough decision, totally up to you, but, I'm only 5 days post-op and I'm so glad I had this done.

I was at the castle for 2 nights, went in on Wed. morning and was home Friday morning.

What does your hubby think of all this? I talked to mine throughout everything. He just wanted my pain to stop. After 12 years I did too!

Sara
Unread 03-03-2002, 06:24 PM
A NEWBIE[Long]

Sara,
My husband is very supportive....scared but supportive. He freaked out when he saw how much I was bleeding. And yes I can talk to him about anything. He is planning to come with me to see the surgeon on March 26th...that is unless some emergency comes up at our Dental Lab(you wouldn't think this could happen but it does)He also plans on taking surgery day off(I told him he didn't have to because it would be just a lot of tense waiting). He just gave me his "VIRGINIA!" look. And he plans on being home with me the day I come home. So I have to get notification to our clientele this week about those days.
I know I'll be better off without my uterus...but just like when my thyroid was destroyed with Radioactive Iodine(for Graves disease) I felt some depression for losing a body part. Plus I no longer believe the medical communite's statement,"Just take this little pill and everything will be back to normal." Yeah sure. They don't tell you that you can't completely replace what an organ puts out. And they don't tell you how long the adjustment period can be. Three years later we are still working on stabilizing my thyroid levels. Enough griping. I will maintain a positive attitude. And with 5 dogs and 4 of them pups of 1 year and under, how can a keep a negative attitude?
Unread 03-03-2002, 07:08 PM
A NEWBIE[Long]

Hi and welcome!!

Have you had a second opinion? I think you might want to consider it. Sometimes another physician may have some alternatives for you...and if not, you will feel even more certain about your choices.

Please also read on our Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives forum....the ladies there have been going through similar experiences, and you may find some useful information.

I wish you much luck!!!! Keep reading and posting, and we'll be here to help you get through this!

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register