Hello.....Im the "Newbie" !! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hello.....Im the "Newbie" !! Hello.....Im the "Newbie" !!

Unread 06-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Hello.....Im the "Newbie" !!

I posted my Introduction message, and now I will post briefly here. I am in my second week of recovery, and slowly VERY SLOWLY getting back on my feet. Im hoping that I can get through all of this weird mood swings, and at least walk down my deck without feeling like my backside is gonna fall off. The hardest part that Im dealing with is all this crying. Not more than an hour ago, I finally got to sit down in a ever so longing to do nice hot bath. But, to my suprise the minute I sat down.........I started to cry..and at that point I said to myself.....what in the world is going on. Reality I think is finally hitting me. And it scares the "pa-jezzus" out of me. I live alone ( with the demon cat from Haites ) and Im dealing with this emotional rollercoaster the best way that I know how. I can have a total of about 2 hrs a day to where I dont have pain...then Its back...I was just curious to how long it is going to take before the surgical pain starts to diminish. I go back for my check up tomorrow, and Im scared to pour my heart out to him again. Im beginning to think Im crazy myself!!!..Dont want to ruin my rep with him !!!!! Any-who...Did any of you all take an anti-depressant? And if Im still having pain ( due to surgery ) should I ask for pain meds. I took my last one today ( with no refill ) I just dont want him to think Im gettin hooked!! Please excuse me for rambling on.......Im new to this and needing someone else to talk to besides my Mom and Sister.

Thanks...
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2005, 08:46 PM

Hi there. I'm three weeks post op and I didn't have the emotional roller coaster and still don't - but that could be because I've been taking paxil for five years anyway for depression/anxiety. Somehow I hadn't even thought of that.

I would talk to the doctor both about your emotions and your pain. I ran out of pain pills in about six days with no refills, but I popped a lot of tylenol and aleves and am still taking those occasionally.

Don't feel bad about talking to the doctor about this stuff. They know about it, and they'll know what to do.
Unread 06-16-2005, 08:58 PM

I am three weeks post-op and in my second week I cried over everything. I even cried on the way home from my post-op appointment for no reason. I would feel good and then just feel so down and depressed. I still feel down in my third week (which just started yesterday) but I am feeling better and better. I think that I feel better because I can do more. I am still following the lifting restrictions but I am doing more and more of my regular routine. I have four kids, my hubby and my father all living under one roof. That can make life alone very emotional. lol
Do you have anyone that you could call when you get down? Maybe a family memeber or a friend or a church member? I call one of my best friends when I got really down and that helped a lot. At one point I was so depressed (at the beginning of my second week) that I couldn't even stand to look at my husband. Part of it was due to his lack of help. But my friend helped me through it and now things are SO much better.
As for the pain meds just give your doctor a call. My gyn was stingy about giving refills but that isn't the norm. Most doctors will gladly refill your pain meds. You are still early in your recovery and there shouldn't be any problems about being addicted. Remember you did just have major surgery.
And know that you are not alone in your feelings. Many of us are going through it or have gone through it at one time or another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2005, 09:00 PM

If you are in pain, ask for another refill.Most Drs will understand and want their paients free from pain.
As for the depressants, I am on 50mg of Zoloft a day.Mine was authorized/prescribed for PMDD though and not depression.
I'm sorry I can't help with the rollar coaster of emotions either.I kept both Ovaries and maybe that is what is helping me.
Good luck and keep your chin up.In a few weeks, you'll look back on this time with little thought.
The 3-4 week mark, was the turning point for me.8 weeks is EVEN better!!!!!
Unread 06-16-2005, 09:14 PM

I really appreciate all of your wonderful posts. It has been hard, but I think Im gonna make it. I do have alot of friends, but they just dont seem to understand this emotional time. My sister is the only one that understands, because she has been there. I am fortunate (sp) that I was able to keep both of my ovaries. Much longer at putting off the surgery and I wouldnt have. I think that some ppl just need to realize that even though it was a major surgery......I had a piece of my heart taken out as well...Its almost as if you feel so empty inside..( lacking the organs ) !!...But, on a nice note.....Hospital Bills are coming in.....Thank God that is a chuckle to make u feel better....!!
And what in the world is that strange pain that makes you feel like there is a car trying to drive out of you ??
But, serioulsy Thank You from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to respond....I will definelty make this my new home ( besides POGO!!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register