Has anyone tried Acupuncture? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone tried Acupuncture? Has anyone tried Acupuncture?

Unread 09-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Has anyone tried Acupuncture?

I am 49 years old and was diagnosed with fibroids about 10 years ago. They remained relatively small until recently when my Gyn discovered that one had grown to the size of a large orange. It is near the part of my uterus which is close to my right ovary. The MRI revealed no problem with the ovary. She is recommending TA hyst, becuase of the size of the fibroid and because she wants to be sure there is no cancer in the fibroid (sometimes fibroids that suddenly grow very large in premenopausal or menopausal women can be cancerous).
I had heard of some women having success with shrinking of fibroids through acupuncture. Being mostly a "naturalist" I have scheduled an appointment next week with an acupuncturist. Has anyone else gone this route? If so, what was your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2005, 11:06 PM

Hi Teddybear,

I was 46 at the time of my hyst last year for two large fibroids. The fibroids grew between two annual gyneo exams. My Dr. said a sign of ~cancerous~ fibroids can be that they are ~fast~ growing. When I caught my breath a second later, he also added with a smile...that cancerous fibroids only run in 1% of women so not to worry too much. After my hyst, my Dr. said my pathology report showed very ~healthy~ fibroids and no cancer.

The point of my story is, I could suggest you question your Dr. and maybe get a 2nd opinion on having a hyst. And look into acupuncture. I do not have anything to share on it and why not do it??

Possibly you are a candidate for an alternative procedure such as a UFE (Uterine Fibroid Embolization) or a myomectomy, a surgery that removes the fibroids and not the uterus.

Here is a Hyster Sisters Link that goes over the different types of hysts. Possibly you are a candidate for a laparoscopic hyst, a less invasive hyst, instead of an abdominal, more invasive hyst.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=152317

You are gathering information and that will help you make a good choice for yourself.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 09-05-2005, 11:25 AM

I'm 50 and my doctor has been "following" my ever growing uterus for the past 4-5 years. I had a D&C and Hysteroscopy (look inside) last month and was told I have a fibroid the size of a cantaloupe/15 week pregnancy. I'm asymptomatic. I was also told to have a TAH including ovaries.

I'm going to try less invasive stuff and HOPE and PRAY for shrinkage. I had been seeing an acuptuncturist (not for this though) and she has now started her treatments for the fibroid. She stated that she'd like at least 6 months but I'm giving her 3 with an option for more IF I see SOME results. I'm a bit anxious because IF I do the TAH I'd do it in December when insurance kicks in and there is a natural lull in business because of the holidays (I'm self employed). I'd like to avoid the TAH.

I'm going to be a guinea pig for Neprionol and see if that can help. I will post results, good, bad or indifferent. I'm hoping it will be good. I'm also considering adding natural progesterone as I'm menopausal (18 months) and probably have none but have clear signs of estrogen dominence even though my estrogen is low. I've read that if I can balance this more, perhaps the progesterone will also help to shrink. There are mixed reports though about natural progesterone. It will be the first to go though if there are any negative signs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2005, 11:27 AM

I should add too that I'm getting a second opinion. Also that I had a D&C and Hysteroscopy to do the pathology on both the fibroid AND the lining of the uterus. This determined that the fibroid was benign. I would question a doctor who said he/she needed to do a TAH just to decide if a fibroid was cancerous or not.
Unread 09-09-2005, 08:34 AM
thanks!

I really appreciate these responses. Thanks historylady and funnyesq. Because of your thoughts I am looking into all of my options more carefully.

Teddy bear

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register