Don't know anything about da vinci - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Don't know anything about da vinci Don't know anything about da vinci

Unread 09-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Re: Don't know anything about da vinci

sabin3 - the doctors laughed so hard I thought they would fall over. The anesthesiologist said he "just let me make a quick trip to the car for my checkbook" The nurse from the next room poked her head in just to see what was 'going on.'

I think it just helped us to realize it's okay to have a sense of humor no matter the situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler01 View Post
I had my daVinci hysterectomy two weeks ago and am so glad I did. I had my moments of worry like you are having, but once the actual day of the surgery came I felt prepared and ready to get it over with.

My nurses were great and I joke with my ob that I wasn't worried about his work since most hospitals malpractice cases come from the anesthesiologists. We all had a good laugh and it did help to relieve the little bit of tension before my surgery.

I also had two nurses and anesthesiologist right next to me while my doctor was about 15 feet away at the robot. I never felt alone and knew my doctor was still close enough that he could 'save me' if needed. (History there is my ob had saved both my and my daughter's life in an emergency c-section just a year ago so I completely trusted him to be there for me). My doctor was wonderful and explained that he always looks at his patients as if they are his mother or daughter.

My surgery took just under two hours and removed my uterus, cervix, tubes and my left ovary. When they 'got in there' the doctor found I did have more damage than he thought and my ovary was attached to my large intestines so he removed it. When I woke up in recovery it really did feel like it hadn't happened yet. I had a morphine pump so I could manage my pain myself that night in the hospital. I did end up with the itchies - a common side effect of morphine, but my nurses quickly gave me medicine for it.

I was up and walking within hours of surgery and have to say that while I was in pain the worst of it really was day two for me. I took my pain meds and slept a lot; that really helped those first few days. While I wish I could have waited a few years to do this so my kiddos weren't so young, they are one and three, it really has been the best medical decision I have made in my life!

I know everyone is different, but my experience has been so much easier than when I had an emergency c-section. This is major surgery but knowing what to expect was a huge help. And with my mom and both of my sisters who have had hysterectomies I definitely believe this is not like what my mom or sisters had - it is so much better. I think if I had to have had the full incision I wouldn't have done it, at least not now.

Best of Luck!!!

And as a side note, my mom had stomach surgery in her 60s and said that having hers done laproscopically helped with healing and pain. It did take her almost six weeks to feel the way I do at two, but the major difference is when she had open surgery before it took her four months to feel like she did at six.
Thanks a lot. With all these posts I am starting to not feel so scared about it. I just hope that everything goes well. I am still in the state that this is really not happening but tomorrow I start my pre-ops. If it takes me longer to heal and feel myself it's okay because at 72 years old I don't have little kids at home. My husband can cook and do the laundery so that will be a big help. I was just worried that no one would be close by me. Thanks again, and I keep saying that I can't believe all you wonderful women that have answered me. You are all blessed.
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:57 PM

petname2,
I was like you. Very nervous and researching the internet over and over. I had the dvh 5 weeks ago. I was so relieved when i came to after surgery. You will be too. Recovery wise, it was so much easier than my laproscopic a few years early. Just remember, you still must take it very very easy for 6 wks. The dvh is a wonderful method, but you can have bleeding w/ the vaginal cuff if you overdo and get a tear. You should be fine if you remember no heavy lifting and go slow getting your energy back.

you will have days when you feel fantastic and that is when you are at risk of doing too much. If/When that happens, your body will tell you and you will end up resting the next day or two. Best wishes on your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halesredrose View Post
petname2,
I was like you. Very nervous and researching the internet over and over. I had the dvh 5 weeks ago. I was so relieved when i came to after surgery. You will be too. Recovery wise, it was so much easier than my laproscopic a few years early. Just remember, you still must take it very very easy for 6 wks. The dvh is a wonderful method, but you can have bleeding w/ the vaginal cuff if you overdo and get a tear. You should be fine if you remember no heavy lifting and go slow getting your energy back.

you will have days when you feel fantastic and that is when you are at risk of doing too much. If/When that happens, your body will tell you and you will end up resting the next day or two. Best wishes on your surgery!
I will take it easy. I already told my husband that when I come home I have to be in bed. What is the vaginal cuff? Do I have to buy sanitary napkins? The nurse at the doctors office told me that I will have some bleeding after.
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:22 PM

the vaginal cuff is what the dr. uses (forms using tissue?) to close you up. Just look up vaginal cuff. Remember though that the internet can have alot of info, sometimes too much. Read with caution. I just mentioned it because of my bleeding. I would not have known otherwise. It is fragile which is why you need to be really careful not to lift much or bend much. Again, dvh is the way to go and you will see that the hardest thing of all of this is resting!

I purchased pads to have and have used them for the spotting. The hospital actually sent me home with a pack that i was using there.
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:29 PM

I just had the DvH this morning...I feel pretty good! I'm trying to keep up my water intake & taking pain meds as recommended by my nurse. I was very anxious when I got to the OR, and pretty much slept all afternoon. Best wishes to you!
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingannie View Post
I just had the DvH this morning...I feel pretty good! I'm trying to keep up my water intake & taking pain meds as recommended by my nurse. I was very anxious when I got to the OR, and pretty much slept all afternoon. Best wishes to you!
WOW!!! and you are on the computer already. Are you home? I will be one night in the hospital. I'm sure that the meds are still working on you and tomorrow you will feel different. I hope I feel this good when I have mine. Thank you and best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halesredrose View Post
the vaginal cuff is what the dr. uses (forms using tissue?) to close you up. Just look up vaginal cuff. Remember though that the internet can have alot of info, sometimes too much. Read with caution. I just mentioned it because of my bleeding. I would not have known otherwise. It is fragile which is why you need to be really careful not to lift much or bend much. Again, dvh is the way to go and you will see that the hardest thing of all of this is resting!

I purchased pads to have and have used them for the spotting. The hospital actually sent me home with a pack that i was using there.
You are so right about the internet giving too much info. I was going out of my mind with what I was reading about ovarian cysts and cancer. I am so glad that I was led to this site. So different and I feel so much more at ease even though I am still nervous and scared but each day is better after reading all these posts for all these woman who have gone through it.
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petname2 View Post
WOW!!! and you are on the computer already. Are you home? I will be one night in the hospital. I'm sure that the meds are still working on you and tomorrow you will feel different. I hope I feel this good when I have mine. Thank you and best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.
I'm still in the hospital. Husband left my iPad & they have wifi
Dr says if I follow recommended pain meds schedule I should only feel cramp like pain (fingers crossed!)
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Don't know anything about da vinci

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingannie View Post
I'm still in the hospital. Husband left my iPad & they have wifi
Dr says if I follow recommended pain meds schedule I should only feel cramp like pain (fingers crossed!)
Good luck. I had little to no pain. Problems more with gas pumped into me. Then they gave me big passion med. That threw me for a loop. Good night and peaceful rest

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register