The TAH that wasn't. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The TAH that wasn't. The TAH that wasn't.

Unread 09-25-2012, 12:10 PM
The TAH that wasn't.

Yesterday, I was packed and ready, eagerly signing my consent forms and smiling while changing into my hospital gear. I lay on that tiny gurney, joking with my intended and waiting for the next step. A nurse came in, carrying a cordless phone. She hands me the phone, saying "your Dr. wants to speak with you." Confused, I take the phone. My surgeon explains that she has been very ill for the past week and would not perform my surgery today. She asks if I would come into the office on Wed. to perform the pre-op visit that had been cancelled the week before. I sadly removed my OR wear, dug into my bag for a fresh pad and tampon (day 14 of what I had hoped was my last period) and returned home. I cannot express my disappointment, frustration and anger. I thanked and apologized to my sister, who took the day off from her teaching position to be with me; hugged and thanked my cousin, who drove my mother the 20 miles to the hospital to be with me; smiled and kissed my Mom, thanking her for getting up early and traveling to support me; reassured my significant other that I was ok and headed to the nearest drugstore to purchase more tampons and pads. When I walked in the front door, I was greeted by a surprised son and ecstatic chihuahua. I thanked my son for taking the day off to care for the dog and explained why I wasn't at the hospital. I spent the next few hours returning phone calls and texts from 5 brothers and sisters, 2 BFFs, aunts, cousins and friends explaining the change of plans and informing my volunteer recovery team that their services for the upcoming weekend and following week would not be needed. I was too disappointed to eat and too frustrated to sleep. As watched the sun rise this morning, I burst into tears when I realized none of my support team would be available for the rescheduled surgery. I decided to share this with you, but I have to stop typing cause the tears are making it hard to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Re: The TAH that wasn't.

I am so sorry that things didn't go the way you had planned. I just wanted to give you a few in the hopes they make you feel a tad better.
Unread 09-25-2012, 02:16 PM

Oh I'm so sorry, how awful and what a shame you weren't told until the last minute like that.

I hope you can be rescheduled quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2012, 02:30 PM

Hugs. I can't believe the courtesy of a phone call the day before wasn't given! Ridiculous! Hopefully your support system will still be able to work it out. I'm sure they will do everything they can to help. Hugs.
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:31 PM

She was sick for a week and couldnt call sooner? You poor thing! I would have went Beserk. HUGS!!!!
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:33 PM

Ouch! I know I would have been a wreck. I'm so sorry you have to face this.
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:47 PM

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. They should have called you at least the day before. I hope they get u rescheduled sooner than later. Hugs
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:57 PM

So sorry to hear that you went through this. Keeping you in my thoughts in the hopes it will get rescheduled soon for you!
Unread 09-25-2012, 04:28 PM

Big ((HUGS)) to you sweetie. Somewhere in all of that is a good thing. It may not seem like it right now, but there is. Your doctor did not come in and perform your surgery sick, which could have caused all kinds of problems for you. God wants the right people, in the right place, at the right time for you.

Hang in there. This will happen for you.

Lots of ((HUGS)) to you
Unread 09-25-2012, 07:23 PM

Oh, (((sister))) I'm so sorry things didn't go as planned.

I can only imagine how hard it would be to be mentally prepared for the surgery and then have it not happen.

Many and I hope that you will be able to reassemble a support system for the new surgery date. We'll be with you in spirit, cheering you on.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register