LAVH/RSO and gas relief | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH/RSO and gas relief LAVH/RSO and gas relief

Unread 08-01-2002, 06:57 AM
LAVH/RSO and gas relief

My surgery is Monday and I am a bundle of nerves. Saw the doc on Tuesday and they wanted to do surgery Monday.
Anyway, I am concerned about dealing with gas pain from the hyst and the shoulder gas pains from the lap at the same time!

I just had a lap in May and I read that if you lay down for several hours afterward and not sit upright the gas has an easier time dissapating. It worked and I didn't have too much gas pain in my shouders. How quickly do they make you get up and walk around after the hyst? I know after my lap all I wanted to do was sleep and they kept waking me up asking if I was in pain. If i'm sleeping I'm not in pain right?

Also, is there anything else out there besides morphine? I absolutely hated it. I had wierd sort of scary sensations when I slept or closed my eyes. It was awful.

O.K., one last question: my doc says that if you keep one or both ovaries you are still subject to pms because you continue to have monthly hormonal fluctuations. I have never heard of any of my sisters or friends complain of pms after their hysts. Is that true?

I just a wreck, although I know I'll be better soon.

Thanks,
mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2002, 07:24 AM
PMS

My also said that I'll go through PMS with just the ovaries left behind.
Unread 08-01-2002, 07:25 AM
lavh questions

Hi! I am recovering from my lavh/bso 2weeks ago. In my case I had surgery at 10:30 am, out of recovery around 2:00 pm and did not get up & walk until after 9:00 the next am. Don't know if that is typical or not. I do have to say the shoulder pain was pretty bad even at that - it hurt to breathe & at first I thought I had pnuemonia until the nurse explained it to me.

I had morphine in recovery and demerol in my room (that made me nauseous!). Talk to your dr about pain meds in advance. When they switched me to tordal it helped a lot!

PMS - there are a number of threads on this subject, one last week, if you do a search you should be able to find it pretty easily. Basically, according to my dr. pms is the same post op if you keep an ovary. Some women are reporting that their symptoms do lessen over time. Talk with you dr. about your pms symptoms. If they are severe (I had pmdd, very seriously & killer migraines) you might want to take that into consideration.

On the up side - the recovery for lavh has been pretty easy for me. I take motrin for incision soreness if I do too much. Otherwise, I've had very little pain after the first 2-3 days. (no vaginal pain at all - I thought my episiotomies were much worse!)

God bless you - the waiting will soon be over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2002, 07:31 AM
LAVH/RSO and gas relief

Mary,
I just had a TAH on July 22, 2002. I can try to answer some of your questions. First of all they try to get you out of bed the next morning after surgery. I had surgery on Monday and was walking early Tuesday morning. The incision burned when I first got out of bed but it wasn't too bad. About the morphine, It made me vomit many times, which HURT the incision bad! It took the Drs./nurses a while to get me off the morphine (6 hours) but once they did I was fine. They gave me fentenal (don't know about spelling), which is administered the same way, a pump.
Regarding the PMS, I don't know yet but I have had hot flashes (still have my ovaries).
Hope this helps you!
Robin
Unread 08-01-2002, 12:03 PM
Gas/etc.

Today is day three after my LAVH/BSO on Monday. Girls I must have a wiz bang of a doctor. One of my close friends is a nurse and she is just amazed that I have no brusing at my lap site. All are closed with derma=bond. I've no real soreness. Gas pain has been minimal and I had my first bm today. The gas yesterday was alittle painful, but the gas pain from the lap was almost nonexistant. I never had morephine and have only been on percoset which has worked wonderfully and I'm only taking one pill about every six to eight hours now. My surgery was at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, I was back in my room at 2. I had some shivering from the anesthetic and only one bout of nausea and that was when I got up the first time at about 5 pm. One shot took care of that. I am alittle nauseaous today, but have been taking ginger and drinking pepsi on chipped ice and that's helping. I never avoided the carbonated drinks as that's what the hospital brought me. They never seemed to bother me though. I've had a really easy time of it. My only real problem was getting my bladder to cooperate, but that worked itself out as soon as I got home (I mean I came home with a self-cath kit and within two hours was going normally). This morning I walked alittle outside and plan on doing so again this evening after it cools off some. I take a nap every few hours. My best friend came up and is staying a few days doing laundry, cleaning and cooking, so I feel like I have it made. Let's just hope this wonderful recovery keeps it up. Blessings, janet
Unread 08-01-2002, 05:34 PM
LAVH/RSO and gas relief

I'm glad everything went to well for you! It is a relief to know it is over! TOday, I walked a half mile, slowly, but I did it (with 8 inch ab scar and all!).
Blessings to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register