bioidentical hormones | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bioidentical hormones bioidentical hormones

Unread 05-13-2004, 07:50 PM
bioidentical hormones

what is all the rage with bioidentical hormones now? Don't they realize this is a big $$$ operation? If it was so good, why don't all md's use it? Just wondering...anyone have any thoughts or good sites to read up on this topic? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2004, 08:02 PM
bio-identical hormones

Vib911,

I have such an interet in learning more. I bought the book by Suzanne Sommers, " The Sexy Years". I checked with my PCP and he is not at all familiar with them. I have spoken with a componding pharmistist, and I plan on taking the saliva test he recommends and having him work with DR to prescribe whatever it is I would need. I sure hope they come up with solutions/answers for all the women who choose to take this course of action. Anyway, the book is worth while buying and maybe it could answer some of your questions. I am curious for anyone who has been on bio-identical to give us their input. Thanks ladies!
Unread 05-18-2004, 05:33 AM
bioidentical hormones

This isn't something new.

Its only new to Suzanne Summers....

Add to that many doctors know about them and prescribe them...but they are usually the doctors who have an interest beyond being educated by the traveling pharmaceutical salesman.

I've personally been on compounded hormones for almost 6 years and know women who have been on them over 10.
Unread 05-18-2004, 08:59 AM
bioidentical hormones

I was told that most gyno's take only two hours of hormone training in school. And, they are educated by pharmaceutical companies. I love my bio identicals......I pay less for them than I did my Premarin and feel 100% better! Do your research...as with anything...nothing works for everybody,but I know many who they work wonders for.. Good Luck! Laura
Unread 05-18-2004, 09:07 AM
bioidentical hormones

Hi...the way my Gyno explained it to me was.....he was putting me on Estrace(which is bio-identical, which means it is exactly what your ovaries used to make) as opposed to Premarin (which is made out of pregnant mare's urine). I guess he just prefers the one he put me on. I was happy about it too, not knowing ANYTHING about hormones. (I just didn't like the fact about the the mare's urine thing). (But I'm sure many women do fine on it!) So far, I'm almost 1 yr. post op and I'm doing GREAT on my Estrace! Good Luck!
Unread 05-18-2004, 12:39 PM
bioidentical hormones

I've been using compounded HRT for over 1 1/2 years and I'm a happy lady. I prefer to use hormones that are an exact duplicate to those my ovaries made. Not everyone cares one way or the other. Not everyone has problems finding the right HRT. Not all doctors are educated about bio-identicals, nor are all women who might benefit from using them. As to the $$$ operation, my compounds cost far less than the conventional HRT I used before but my insurance chooses not to cover at the same percentage. I could save myself money (and cost my insurance more) by going back to the "standard issue" but since I feel better on the compounds that's what I'll continue to use.

As to resources for reading up on them, search this site and you'll find plenty! You could start with our drop-down menu of More Hyster Sisters! and select Hormone Article List. You can also click on Resources at the top of this page and find loads of information.

Happy reading and s!
Unread 05-18-2004, 12:52 PM
bioidentical hormones

I was first prescribed compounded bio-identicals twelve years ago when I was having problems conceiving... my GYN, bless her, didn't want me taking fertility drugs or synthetic "hormones" so she prescribed compounded natural progesterone suppositories, which did the trick

When I had my surgery two years ago, bio-identicals were, for me, the logical first choice. There are tons of options available that are bio-identical, not just the compounded HRT's. For example, the estradiol patches (including the Vivelle dot, Climara, Esclim, Estradot, Estraderm and Alora, among others) are all bio-identical. Prometrium and natural progesterone creams are bio-identical. Estrace and its generic Estradiol (oral) are bio-identical. The compounded HRT's such as bi-est, tri-est and natural testosterone creams and gels are all bio-identical, too.

None of these are new options... they are just newly receiving media attention because a celebrity has written about them.

As (((April Dawn))) mentioned, our Resource Links directory is a great place to read about all the options. To get there, click on Resources at the top of the page, and scroll down to the Hormone Jungle section. It includes links to websites with detailed information on particular HRT's as well as reviews of books which deal with hormone replacement, some of which have been around for a while .

Happy Reading!
s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register