What does keeping one ovary really mean? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What does keeping one ovary really mean? What does keeping one ovary really mean?

Unread 03-12-2010, 10:09 PM
What does keeping one ovary really mean?

I had my abdominal hysterectomy feb. 16th removing uterus and one ovary d/t fibroids, cysts, and excessive bleeding. By keeping one ovary, I understand I will not have to take hormones. But I really don't know what to expect as far as "changes". Will I be the same as I was before the surgery once I recover? (without the pain). It's been 3 1/2 weeks and I am still on the couch. Just when I think I'm feeling good and try to help with supper or fold a load of laundry sitting on the couch my body reminds me differently. I also wonder if I am doing enough???? Can someone help me with what I should be able to accomplish at this point, and what to expect with just having one ovary???? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Re: What does keeping one ovary really mean?

i have one ovary. and i am 6 and a half weeks out from surgery. i feel really good. i feel just like myself, i havent seemed to have had any hormonal issues. ive had a couple of hot flashes and a nite sweat or two but it is getting warmer and i do still have the heavy blankets on my bed so im not sure about that. i would HIGHLY recommend doing nothing for as long as possible. i feel that is key to feeling better longer later. i mean you should be getting up and around and doing little things but rest as much as you can, and i would sleep as much as you can. even if its making you a little nutty. rest and sleep are the bodies way of healing, not cleaning and doing the dishes or laundry. let it go. even at this date my doctor still advised me to watch the amount i lift , 20 pounds, and try not to bend or twist or stoop still. she told me to exercise if i wanted, like walking, but not to do any crunches or anything that bends your stomach. i am back at work, i feel good, i have energy but definitely am reclining all evening. and plan on having my feet up all day sunday. i spent at least 5 weeks doing nothing before i started to do things around the house. and it really seemed to work for me.
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:26 PM

Thanks. That makes me feel alot better. Best wishes on a great recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2010, 10:32 PM

you too. and seriously, try to rest as much as you can.
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:34 PM

i'm 3 weeks out and wondered the same thing. I know if I've over done it, i get achy and sore, especially in the lower incision, but I otherwise feel great, I forget I've had major abdominal surgery until i begin to hurt - I dont feel like I've hurt myself, just the lower incision hurts a bit. I have one ovary left too, my doc said I shouldnt feel any different at all - hormonally. Although I have noticed the odd hot flash that I didnt notice before.
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:57 AM

My dr said that by keeping one ovary, I will ease into menopause over the next couple years; the ovary does shut down, but takes a year or two, so your body isn't all the sudden slammed by hormonal changes. I don't mind the thought of menopause, have been heading there for a few years anyway; random hot flashes, night sweats, etc. 3 weeks postop, I've only had night sweats once, and a few "warm-ups," not even enough to call a hotflash!
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellejae View Post
My dr said that by keeping one ovary, I will ease into menopause over the next couple years; the ovary does shut down, but takes a year or two, so your body isn't all the sudden slammed by hormonal changes. I don't mind the thought of menopause, have been heading there for a few years anyway; random hot flashes, night sweats, etc. 3 weeks postop, I've only had night sweats once, and a few "warm-ups," not even enough to call a hotflash!
Do you mind if I ask you a personal question? Please understand I am not trying to be nosy and if you are not comfortable sharing I completely understand. I was just wondering how old you are. I m 36 and no where near ready for menopause. I was told by my surgeon that losing my right ovary would be no different. I specifically asked him. He explained that it may take a while after surgery for the remaining ovary to start producing the hormones I need, but I should go though menopause at my normal age. My mom was pretty young, only 50. But I thought I had at least 15 years or so. I am now a little concerned.
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:23 AM

No problem, I have never been ashamed of my age! I'm 47. I started having perimenopause symptoms at around 41, which is normal for the women in my family; we start early and take a long time to get to the finish line! My mom started perimen at about 40, too, but didn't actually reach menopause until 54!! Can't imagine 14 years of hot-flashes! I have read on other sites that a remaining ovary can shut down sooner than it would without a hysterectomy- sorry for the bad news! But my doctor was guessing that it would happen pretty fast for me based on the fact that I was part-way to menopause anyway.
Unread 03-13-2010, 07:06 AM

Are hot flashes supposed to stop after menopause? I hadn't had a period in two years before the bleeding that prompted my hysterectomy, but I continued to have hot flashes. Since the surgery (TAH/BSO), the hot flashes/night sweats are a bit worse, but still pretty mild compared to some that I've heard about.
Unread 03-13-2010, 07:13 AM

Thank you. I was a little confused. Yeah he did mention it may be a little sooner. I just thought that one or two years was a LOT soon. LOL I am glad to see that you are not ashamed of your age. I just thought that maybe you might be a little uncomfortable giving out personal info to a stranger.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register