5 Weeks post op today and bleeding! concerned! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 Weeks post op today and bleeding! concerned! 5 Weeks post op today and bleeding! concerned!

Unread 05-23-2011, 09:30 AM
5 Weeks post op today and bleeding! concerned!

I didnt bleed at all until about the 4 wk mark. Now spotting some. It isnt enough to fill up a pantyliner,but it gets dark for a couple days and then turns to bright red. When it turns red I have some pressure on my low abdomen. Where I would say my ovaries are. Not a sharp pain, just pressur and a little swollen belly. I had total hyst. with ovaries left. Uterus and cervix taken. Called on-call doc about a week ago and they said unless it fills up pad not to worry probably stitches dissolving. Im still concerned because it hasnt stopped and its been a little over a week now. I realize it could be my stitches dissolving, but if the blood is bright red wouldnt that be fresh blood and that something may be coming apart too early? Is this normal? My six wk check up is next tuesday. Need answers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Re: 5 Weeks post op today and bleeding! concerned!

Bright red blood may mean internal stitches have burst. If I were you I'd head for the doctor or ER and get it checked out.
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Bleeding has gotten dark again now.. Hmmm. Not sure what is going on. I'm betting that it is just overdoing it. Wife, mother of three, full time job too... What would our families do without us??

Bleeding really only occurs when I use the restroom and I am sure it is coming from vagina. I can also tell that my stomach slightly swells too. So I think I am just overdoing and need to take it easy. I am a very high strung person and cannot be still very long. Have to be constantly moving or doing something.. go to doc next week. I may have to have nitrate treatment.

Anyone else spotting 5 wks post op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2011, 07:34 PM

I had no spotting until week three. I straightened up the family room by picking up magazines, toys, books etc. Nothing heavy. But I must have done something because bright red blood started flowing. About the same as you have described. Then to spotting and now has stopped. I know I must have pulled a stitch or something to cause it. I stopped almost all activity for the next 3 days and now it is gone. At 5 weeks you are not totally healed and could have done something similar. The guide is if you are filling a pad an hour you need to go and get checked. Glad you called the Dr. Sounds like you are okay. Just take it a little easier.
Unread 05-24-2011, 10:54 PM

How ironic. I'm 5 weeks post-op tomorrow and started spotting again yesterday with some bright red blood after a week of nothing. I came on to see if anyone else had experienced the same thing.

I had a LAVH. He took the uterus and cervix and left everything else.

I called the dr to be sure and he said it was normal and not to worry. There isn't much but I just wanted to make sure. The bright red is what had me worried.

I'm a bit tender and was sitting funny working at the computer and wondering if there was too much pressure. I'm glad I'm still working from home this week.

Hope everything is ok.
Unread 05-26-2011, 07:30 AM

My bleeding tends to be more with any straining. (BM, urination, etc.)
If I strain too much I bleed some. Was brown again til this morning when I went to restroom. Had to strain a little and bright red came out. I think that my stitches are dissolving and maybe when I strain they break loose maybe a little too early?? I go to doctor Tuesday.
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:23 AM

I am glad that you called your doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.
Unread 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM

I am only 15 days post op and my doctor warned me that in week 4 or 5, I would have some spotting. He said it is just from the internal stitches dissoving and not to worry unless it looked like I was having a period.

I just hope I can wear underwear by the time I reach 4 or 5 weeks. I may just have to break down and get some that are a couple sizes too big. I still have so much swelling in my belly that my regular underwear digs in and makes me very uncomfortable.

Hope all of you ladies are feeling great. Keep an eye on that bleeding and go the ER if you are bleeding like a period. Hugs to all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register