Upcoming hysterectomy 11/30: I never had period problems... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 11/30: I never had period problems... Upcoming hysterectomy 11/30: I never had period problems...

Unread 11-02-2016, 11:56 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/30: I never had period problems...

Then everything changed! I'm a 55 year who was having a period every 28 days or so, usually with one heavy day and no cramps. Then one day my period came and wouldn't end... 15 days, 20 days... I travel regularly and one time getting off the plane it just kept on coming. This time was very different because I was experiencing pressure, like I was being hugged all the time.

A visit to my gyn, several tests later and I was shown to have an enlarged, fibroid filled uterus. I was put on provera to suppress my period, that lasted about a month before the bleeding started up again, the provera was increased to get it to stop again. I'm fortunate that I do not have pain to accompany the pressure.

After weighing my options, I've decided to have a hysterectomy on 11/30. The plan is for LAVH with removal of tubes and cervix. I'm hoping things go as planned but we all know things can change.

I scheduled the surgery back in September and have been avoiding the topic as a conversation piece but have been reading and researching since hysterectomy became a possibility. Now I'm down to the last four weeks and know that my nerves with be something I'll have to deal with as the date approaches.

I just thought I'd come on and share what brought me here and where I am in this journey. I really appreciate all of the support and information here for the sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/30: I never had period problems...

Hi, I'm sure that each of us deals with the nerves in a different way and you will get all kinds of varied opinions.
My nerves were shot in the last few weeks of waiting. My surgery was scheduled back in August, for October 31st.
I did my best to keep busy with housework, my job, and getting ready for the surgery.
I cooked and froze meals, did lots of cleaning, rearranged the living room where I chose to stay for recovery etc.....
I would say that the last week was the worst for me. I had such terrible anxiety that my heart rhythm was acting up and I would get chest pressure sometimes. Anxiety is a terrible thing for me.
Once I got to the day before surgery, the anxiety intensified. Then at the hospital, still very anxious, everything went smoothly and I don't even remember getting wheeled into the OR. When I finally woke up after the procedure, the anxiety was gone and I wondered why I had myself so worked up.
All the prep that I did helped, since I could come home and get right on the couch. Everything was done and ready to go except for someone to help me get on and off the sofa for the first day.

Sending you warm wishes!
Unread 11-03-2016, 06:29 AM

We're not too far off from one another - I'm 54, had irregular periods after coming off birth control and they were nothing like my periods before, couldn't tell if I was in menopause, so I knew something was up. Turned out that the single 5cm fibroid doubled in size in 4 months and invited a bunch of 'Broid Buddies over for a flippin' frat party in my uterus. My surgery was laparo, took the uterus only, and everything from surgery to recovery has been textbook. I'm quite happy that they were all served a warrant and an eviction notice!

It was about 6 weeks between my diagnosis and surgery, just to have the right timing for work and my daughter's school schedule (I didn't want her to be distracted from her finals). The best thing I found for the nerves was to keep busy. I continued working, working out, cleaning, my family participated in a neighborhood yard sale which helped declutter, putting frequently used things in easy reach, and freezer meal prepping. Meal prepping was the most enjoyable, and so useful - hospitality meals from friends, church and other groups eventually run out. If I had to add one more thing to the prep list, I'd make sure I had more expando-waist clothes, so yeah, I suggest a shopping spree - woo hoo!

If you haven't downloaded the free What 350,000 Women Know... guide, do so. It takes you from where you are now, pre-op, to 6 weeks post-op and touches on issues through a year. It became my recovery manual and I still refer to it.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and textbook recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2016, 09:02 AM

I've known since the end of August that I was going to be a total hysterectomy, and there are times when my surgery date has seemed so far away that I wish I had just scheduled as soon as possible instead of waiting until December. I'm scheduled the day after my last final this semester because I didn't want to miss out on school after I'd waited so long to go back, plus this gave my husband plenty of time to get the time off to help me recover. I'm still 6 weeks away, and the time seems to be flying incredibly fast and incredibly slow at the same time. Thankfully, school and work and family are keeping me busy enough that I don't have time to freak out, but there are still times when I can't help it.

One of the things that is helping me, other than this site (which is awesome!) is that I started seeing a counselor to help me deal with the anxiety and stress. While my husband is wonderful, I don't want to overwhelm him with my obsessive research and preparation. I know he can handle it, and he's more than willing to handle it, but, for myself, I want to have that outside source available. It also sort of limits me to how much I worry, as I know that I have a set time with her to do all my worrying, LOL.

I haven't really gotten started on all the prep work, like getting meals together. I did make a list about what things I'll need afterword. After reading all the post-op recovery reports, I told my husband that I wanted a balloon the first time I have a BM after surgery.

Good luck with everything! I know it's hard, but try to find moments throughout the day when you are only focused on what's around you, and not what the future holds. We can prepare and prepare, but we'll never really know how things will be. Since my surgery is after yours, I'll be looking forward to hearing how it all goes for you.
Unread 11-03-2016, 01:08 PM

I'm scheduled to have my TAH on November 30th. The reason for mine is a positive BRCA test and my family history. And my uterus is completely covered in fibroid cysts. I recently started having my periods coming every couple of months. I will be 57 in December. I'm getting nervous about the surgery and having to go through menopause. I have bladder problems now, I hope they don't get any worse.
Unread 11-03-2016, 05:45 PM

I am 43 and never had period problems until now. I don't know how all you ladies go for years with period problems, it's miserable.
I hope all goes well for you.
Unread 11-03-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie56 View Post
I have bladder problems now, I hope they don't get any worse.
You might actually find relief as you heal. I had to go frequently, and when I had to go, it was urgent - either better high-tail it to the bathroom or wet my underwear. I never had an accident because I always knew that when I felt the urge to not delay. Sometime in the last 10-12 years I also started having loose bowels. Both the bladder and bowel issues disappeared post-op, like poof . I had a post-op appointment at 12 days and got to share that "cure" with my doctor - that's how quick and noticeable it was.

And I thought I was getting old and decrepit !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register