14 days to go | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

14 days to go 14 days to go

Unread 01-03-2001, 07:11 PM
14 days to go

I had pre-op done today plus a bladder check. The bladder check was kind of weird. Had to go in with a full bladder. Drank 50 fluid ounces on the way there and bladder didn't get full. Had a catheter placed in the vagina and then in the urethra. Fluid was put into my bladder until couldn't take it anymore. Did some procedures with bearing down, coughing, etc. When finally got to go pee, almost passed out. Had really bad pains on my right side and my abdomen. It was terrible, thought I was going to be sick. But, got the test done. Pre-op with the doctor got done as well. I will need to go to the hospital a few days before to get my blood drawn, pick up a douche, an enima and the massaging socks to prevent blood clots. Now, have 14 days of waiting (hell) left to go through. Surgery is on 1/17/01. Have to be at the hospital between 6:00am and 6:30am. Will talk with the anethesiologist and surgery is at 8:00am. The rash on my stomach, under and on the sides of my breasts and under my arms is from stress. Ya think?! Oh, well! Work was pain in the butt yesterday. It was payday! I am looking forward to time off, no looking forward to surgery. Alot of mixed emotions. And, my best friend will not be at the hospital like she said she would. My husband will be there and possibly another friend of mine said she would be there. Won't count on it. The husband, he will be there.

Well, one step closer to getting this over and done with. Doctor said he would keep my ovaries in if they looked OK, but wouldn't know once he got in there. Hope they can stay, only 37. But, if not, hormone therapy, here I come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2001, 09:08 PM
14 days to go

I have a vaginal hsyt scheduled at 4:00 pm on 1/17. I'm VERY nervous. Mine is a result of an abnormal pap, followed by a colposcopy which confirmed severe dysplasia but not cancer cells present. Whew!!! I'm 43 years old and because I don't want any more children gyn suggested the hyst. I get more nervous everyday......I'll be a basket case by the 17th!! I'll keep you in my prayers.
Unread 01-03-2001, 09:10 PM
14 days to go

I have a vaginal hsyt scheduled at 4:00 pm on 1/17. I'm VERY nervous. Mine is a result of an abnormal pap, followed by a colposcopy which confirmed severe dysplasia but not cancer cells present. Whew!!! I'm 43 years old and because I don't want any more children gyn suggested the hyst. I get more nervous everyday......I'll be a basket case by the 17th!! My pre-op is on 1/10. The nurse said it was paperwork and pre-admission stuff. She didn't say anything about a bladder check, bloodwork, xrays, etc. Maybe since my surgery isn't until 4:00 pm they're going to do it all the morning of surgery. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2001, 10:29 PM
14 days to go

I know just how you feel about being nervous. The bladder check was done because I leak when I cough, sneeze, etc. This test was to measure pressure and if the problem is severe enough for bladder repair.

I am not as nervous today, don't know why. Maybe the calm before the storm. I have gotten so nervous that I broke out in a rash on my stomach area. Have insomnia, and now have a cold to boot.

I will also keep you in my thoughts and prayers. When you are having your surgery, I'll be out so I'll be thinking and praying for you.
Unread 01-04-2001, 09:24 AM
14 days to go

I also go in on the 17th. Thank Goodness it's at 7:30 a.m. I was fine with things until the holidays ended. Now that the kids are back in school, and things have returned to normal, I'm a mess! I have all these things planned to do, yet I'm such a wreck, I keep putting them off! I'm 31, and constantly wondering if this is the right thing. Do you ever stop second guessing yourself? Also, with my LAVH scheduled for the a.m. of the 17th, my DH will be able to be home until the 29th. My kids are 10 & 12, and able to do a lot, yet I keep wondering if I'll need any additional help after almost 2 weeks. The only thing I'll be required to do is take the kids to school in the morning, 5 minutes round trip. Am I expecting too much to be able to handle this when DH goes out of town?

I'll be thinking of you both, and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Somehow, I think we can get each other through this waiting game. :-)

Unread 01-04-2001, 09:47 AM
14 days to go

You may very well not be able to drive your kids to school after 2 weeks. I am 4 weeks post op and still have not driven. If you are on oral pain meds you should not drive and some people are still taking them after 2 weeks. Also, if you have a general anesthestic, some insurers will not cover you for 4 weeks (it can take a long time for the anesthetic to be totally out of you). You also need to consider the pulling on your abdominal area by turning your head or having to stop or turn suddenly.

My doctor said I could drive at 2 weeks only if I was not taking pain meds (I did not have a general anesthetic) and if I felt no pain when turning my head or moving suddenly.

If I were you I would see if you could do some sort of carpooling thing as a back up if you are unable to drive. I know it is only 5 minutes, but you do not want to do it if you are really physically unable or it would not be safe.

You might also consider cooking a freezing foods now so that all that has to be done for dinner is microwaving. I made beef stew, hamburgers, spaghetti sauce. At 2 weeks I was really not feeling so great-- standing up for periods of time cooking is not the best thing to be doing. It was great having "real food" ready to be defrosted. Also, my friends brought meals several times and also took the kids out to do stuff since I could not and my husband was too wiped out from taking care of everything else !

Good luck with everything ! I have a 9 and 6 year old and they have been very helpful (I taught my 6 year old how to do laundry !) Having a 10 and 12 year old will really help you a lot.

Best of luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register