i keep second guessing my decision to have a hysterecyomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

i keep second guessing my decision to have a hysterecyomy i keep second guessing my decision to have a hysterecyomy

Unread 05-27-2001, 11:12 AM
i keep second guessing my decision to have a hysterecyomy

since 1996 i have had heavy bleeding problems caused by fibroids, polyps and hyperplasia, always leading to anemia. i've had two d & c's and provera therapy. Now aftre two and a half years since the last d & c i'm bleeding again. my dr. is recomending a hysterectomy. the second opinion dr. says that its is one way to deal with the problem but i could continue to use the d & c method until menopause. i'm 49 so that is a few years away. i did schedule surgery for may 17 2001 but the day before i cancelled it. i just don't know how to make this decision. any advisce?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2001, 11:26 AM
WE NEED A CRYSTAL BALL!

I'm going through the exact same thing you are! I have agonized over whether or not to have a TAH on 6/15.
I have a 5cm pedunculated fibroid and a uterus full of smaller fibroids. I have pretty much decided to cancel the surgery and adopt a "wait and watch" approach. I don't suffer with the dehabilitating cramps or Niagara Falls bleeding. My symptoms include some
pressure, bloat and constipation. My quality of life is not that altered.
I'm 50 so menopause should be right around the corner. The surgery and after effects could end up being worse than my symptoms! I figure I can
always have the surgery if the fibroids grow more or my symptoms worsen.
I think we should agree to a hyster only as a last resort.
When in doubt, don't!
Good Luck,
Jeanne Z.
Unread 05-27-2001, 12:23 PM

I know what you mean. Surgery is scary. I keep telling myself that I do not need surgery and that I can cope with my heavy long bleeding. I guess we all have to come to the point where we know that we have made the right decision. No one can tell you what to do. But I think that if your doctor thought it would help you , you should listen. That is what they are there for.

I hope that you can make a decision either way that you can live with.

Cath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2001, 12:18 PM

Hi,
I'm going to my Dr.'s today to get the results of my biopsy that I had done last Tuesday,
I guess we will be setting a date for my surgery today, I'm scared to death and I'm not
so sure that I'm ready for this.
I know how you feel, I keep having second thoughts, my doctor said that it's the best
thing for me to do, but I feel like it's so final, so I dont know, I'm very scared, I'm only
38 years old, and I never had a daughter (I have two sons), am I ready for this?

Lisette
Unread 05-29-2001, 02:36 PM

I just got back from a week in Charleston (walked all day, all over the place). I had a TAH on 2/13 and have to say that the hysterectomy was the best decision I ever made. I haven't had so much energy in years.

Second guessing is normal, making the decision and then waiting is the hardest part, but don't get caught up in your underwear about this. If you're not ready, you're not ready. But, you have to ask yourself what you're afraid of. I was most concerned about sexual aftereffects (complications like infection and dying never entered my mind). As it turns out, both the Big O and intercourse are fine and dandy. Once you decide what your individual fears are, you can deal with those and make whatever decision is best for you.

For me, my quality of life has increased dramatically. The post-surgical constipation, bloating, stomach nerve pain, and incision overhang were temporary inconveniences that are nothing compared to the benefits I've reaped. I had tried all the treatment options I could before I decided on surgery because my symptoms had gotten too out of control for the non-surgical treatments to address.

Most important, make sure you are really comfortable with the surgical skill level of your doctor. If you have any qualms at all, shop around for someone you are comfortable with. Talking to friends who've had the surgery about their doctors is a good source. A second or third medical opinion will only help you in making a good decision.
Unread 06-01-2001, 06:48 PM
second guessing

thanks everyone for you input. I've made a decision to go ahead with the surgery. I have weighed all the options and feel it makes the most sense. I don't want to worry any more that this condition could become cancerous, I don't want to deal with biopsies anymore, I don't want excessive bleeding to keep me home. I am ready, I have thought all options through. Surgery is set for 6/20/01. I so appreciate everyone's testimony. it is so comforting to know I'm not the only one going through this decision process. pray for me.
Unread 06-07-2001, 08:08 PM

Hi doubtful ladies and convinced ladies:
I just posted a reply to a completely different thread today and then read this one and realized that I should have posted here instead. Can't believe it! Thought I was the only one who may have thought about cancelling surgery at the last minute. I'm so grateful to have read all your honest postings. Sometimes I can't figure out if I am lacking courage or fighting stupidity to have such an incredibly invasive procedure for the nature of my symptoms. But 4 drs. so far have recommended.
Rosemary
you can look up my post by going to my member name Romagee
Unread 06-08-2001, 06:17 PM
2nd guessing

I've been doing the same thing for years. I have a tentative surgery date for July 2nd. Severe bleeding with fibroids. No pain at all! So I worry that I'll stop bleeding but have pain or other complications from TAH like adhesions, incontenance, vaginal vaulting. But I have a good surgeon who has been recommending I do this for years so I guess I'll go with it on faith that I will be better off afterwards. I think you just come to a point where you are ready. Glad you've come to a decision. I'll pray for you. For the other ladies 2nd guessing. If your symptoms aren't too severe you can wait a bit longer. Who knows maybe a better method for dealing with all these things will come along soon. Jane
Unread 06-09-2001, 12:47 PM
2nd guessing

Hi, I know how second guessing goes. I'm due to go in 6/13. I've had heavy bleeding twice a month. They have addressed it several times. I've been taken off of every birth control. Finally settled on a tubal after three c-sections. Since then the scar tissue on the uterus has cause different problems on top of the others. I have problems with hair growth, but found out that other treatments can be done for that. I've tried to find another doctor. Due to being military dependant, seems it's not that easy to shop around. I know I won't have anymore kids. My fears are the after effects of having this done. I'm only 29. The intimancy between my DH and I is very important. They have done d&c's, laps, hystoscopies. I've also had problems with dysplasia. Which was left untreated till it was pre-cancerous. I'm worried about having another surgery on top of all they have done in the past. I only pray this is the final chapter. My DH is very supportive. I am concerned about leaving the ovaries. I've heard good and bad. I just hope for the best, and an end to all this.

Truely,
Jule
Unread 06-09-2001, 11:15 PM
2nd guessing

I have a submucous myoma - a fibroid in my uterine wall that fills up the cavity of my uterus. My Dr. discovered this after my d&c last month. He said my options are to live with it, have a vaginal hysterectomy or surgically remove it (like a c-section-type surgery). The symptoms are painful cramps during PMS and during my period, bloating, fat stomach. I am depressed with these symptoms. I am leaning towardy the vaginal hysterectomy, but am worried about side-effects, especially normal sex-life stuff. I am not going to live with it, I have to do something pretty soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register