anything i can do to prepare for surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anything i can do to prepare for surgery? anything i can do to prepare for surgery?

Unread 04-09-2007, 01:57 PM
anything i can do to prepare for surgery?

Hi Everyone,
My surgery is scheduled for next week the 16th. I'm feeling all of the emotions that everyone else is feeling, crying, nervous, scared ALL of them. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help prepare my body for what it is about to go through. I just want to make sure that I'm going to make my recovery as easy as possible for me. I don't make a very good patient and am a very independant person so the more I can do to prepare myself the better. Or is it just to late to do anything? It stresses me when I have to rely on others to help with the things that I normally do, and I guess you could say that I'm a type A personality because I think that I you want something done right. . . do it yourself. HELP

Thanks,
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2007, 02:11 PM

Well as far as for your body, you can try to keep up with your water in-take, and get used to drinking 6-8 cups/day if you aren't already. You may also want to scheudule hair appointments close to your surgery date since you may not feel up to it for a while after surgery. Also, no one told me how long my belly would be sore, and that I wouldn't want/be able to wear my "regular" pants for such a long time. You may want to stock up on some elastic waist sweat pants or shorts. Good luck, and God bless. )
Unread 04-09-2007, 02:39 PM

Ditto on the water.

Good luck!

Sherri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2007, 03:23 PM

Oh my gosh...are you ME? The worst part of my recovery is happening right now...my brain is pulling out of the fog, but my body is nowhere near ready to be independent again, so I'm feeling really frustrated and cooped up. It's now that I'm disappointed in having to rely on others.

You just have to remember, people who love you and care about you WANT to take care of you, so let them. You can "repay" them later and think of all the times you've been there for them. Accept everything in your life...let go. It's VERY hard and I'm not here to tell you otherwise; you just have to do it. The first week, week and a half after surgery you won't mind people waiting on you anyway...you'll need it.

I took iron prior to surgery. Figured it would build up my iron stores since there is some blood loss during something like this. I took it when I got home from the hospital, too. Slow FE...I think it has helped.

Good luck.
Unread 04-09-2007, 09:26 PM

Hi J
I also posted this yesterday for someone, but can't find the post now...
Your nutrition is important post surgery, so learn about what foods will be best for you when you come home and maybe prepare some dishes in advance for the freezer.
I found this book a great help in educating myself on all aspects of healing and it took my mind off the fear of surgery. "The Rapid Recovery Handbook: Your Complete Guide to Faster Healing After Surgery" by Elizabeth Motyka (and a couple of other authors). I also believe that by following their suggestions that I really did have a positive influence on my own healing. There are other books out there too, but this was the one I used.

In addition, I took a diary into the hospital and kept records of medication etc - it was amazing how many times staff "forgot" scheduled doses. I continued the diary when I got home with the medication and to record other things. Brain fog is unfortunately guaranteed with this!

Sending you positive thoughts. Take care
MP
PS Horizon, I think you were right to keep taking the iron. i stopped, thinking that no periods meant my iron would replenish quickly. Blood tests 4 weeks post-op showed iron at lowest ever for me. i am back on the iron now! I guess it is best to check with Dr what to take especially, pre op, there are many things to avoid taking then.
Unread 04-09-2007, 10:07 PM

I agree with megapixel that you should have meals ready in the freezer. You probably won't have the energy to stand and cook for a week or two.
One thing that I did before I went to the castle is to get my table ready! If you don't have a table next to your bed, put a chair there. Gather the things that you think you may need and set them up on your table. Be sure to leave room for your meds! Make sure your phone is where you can reach it. Have a notebook there to write down what time you take your meds. I had my back scratcher nearby. I also had a place to set up my water. I kept a shoe box size plastic container there for my mail. Whatever you think you will need, set it up before you go.
A few other things that I kept nearby was my chapstick, magazines, and hand lotion. Good luck, I hope all goes well for U!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register