Perfect 6wk check but have serious INSOMNIA issue | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Perfect 6wk check but have serious INSOMNIA issue Perfect 6wk check but have serious INSOMNIA issue

Unread 10-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Perfect 6wk check but have serious INSOMNIA issue

My 6 week check went GREAT. The doctor said my cuff healed better than usual. My incision was "wonderful". I had no pain with the internal exam, and no spotting later. All in all it was great. I'm released to ALL normal activities, including light abdominal exercises. I don't have to go back for another 10 months. YAY for me. Here's the thing, I have horrible insomnia. I can't fall asleep until 1 or 2 am. I wake up around 4am. I have these terribly upsetting, vivid, apocalyptic dreams all night long. I cant get out of the dreams easily either, like I have a hard time with that disconnect where I tell myself "it was just a dream". I wake up and then get mad because I didn't find out what happened in the dream. I have songs playing in my head all the time I'm awake. Each tiny noise in the house sounds like a gong beside my head. I've tried Ambien and didn't like it. I have a new prescription for Lunesta but there must be appropriate circumstances for taking it. I've cut ALL caffeine out of my diet. I drink a cup of chamomile tea at bedtime to relax, with no sugar. I do long hot baths each evening. I turn all the lights down hours before bedtime. No television going to bed. What am I doing wrong? Can someone please help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2006, 07:09 PM

I think (and I might be wrong) but it is just one of the side effects of the surgery. And from what I've seen from other posts on here, some women have the problem for a long time. I know my Rx is for three months of pills. My insomnia started the night after my surgery. When I saw my doc at 10 days post-op and he gave me a Rx for Ambien, I was already getting so emotional from lack of sleep, I started taking it right away. To me (when we are trying to heal and get back to a somewhat normal life) we need our sleep. So for me that makes it an appropriate circumstance to take the meds. The past two nights I've been cutting the pill in half. I want to see if I can get by without it. I'm back to waking up several times a night and having night sweats. But at least (for now anyway) I can get back to sleep fairly easy. So the Ambien must have helped me somewhat. Before I started taking it, I would wake up and stare at the clock for hours. Hope you find something that works for you.
Unread 10-03-2006, 07:11 PM

From what I read it is part of the Post Op problems. I usually fall asleep very easily around 10 but then at 1AM I wake up and I am usually up until 3 or 4. Then I get up for work at 5AM. I am done by 9AM and come home and sleep for 3 hours until I have to return to work. I hate it. My house is a mess. I have 0 energy. I was told it will end in 6 months to a year.

Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2006, 07:28 PM

Me too. I haven't gotten a full nights sleep since my surgery almost six weeks ago too. It really stinks. I tried Lunesta, but it didn't do squat for me. I tried Benadryl, and that works for about four-five hours. A glass of wine doesn't help either....I'm at a loss. My doc said at my 5 week appt last week that she could give me some Ambien CR as it is guaranteed to give you a solid seven hours of sleep. However, I decided not to since I have read so many bad things about it on this board. However, I gave myself a timeline of two more weeks, and if I am still not sleeping, I am going to try the Ambien. Good luck. I certainly hope this passes soon for all of us suffering from it!
Unread 10-03-2006, 08:17 PM

I hope you can help me. After my surgery, I have had two major problems. One is that I can not sleep. If I use Ambien I can sleep but, I don't know if I need to use it all of the time. I also keep my weight down when I sleep better. The other problem is that I am so dry and I feel like a little girl. I can't have sex without being in terrible pain, even if I use lubercants. I can't take any form of hormones because they cause me to have problems breathing. When I was a child I had severe asthma. It has been almost 30 yrs since I had asthma, but since my THR it has come back. Specially when I take HRT. I don't have hot flashes or mood swings. If I don't take HRT will my troubles get worse. What can I expect? And what can I do? My weight bounces so much that is it hard to keep clothes to fit right. As I said, when I take ambein I keep my weight off. If you can, please help.

Thank you
kadie
Unread 10-03-2006, 08:43 PM

I got a Rx for Sonata. It doesn't last as long as Ambien (maybe 5 - 6 hours or so) and for me it works much better. I didnt take it last night and I regretted it...have resigned myself that I may actually need to take one at least during the work week. Sleep is so important. I've heard that some women have done well on Trazadone, too...it's an antidepressant but is also prescribed to help with sleep. Good luck, everyone...at least we're in good company!
Unread 10-03-2006, 08:46 PM

Sorry you're having problems, Kadie. For the other issues I would visit the hormone jungle articles and message boards. A lot of women seem to have similar issues. Best of luck...hope you find something that helps.
Unread 10-03-2006, 11:47 PM

ME TOO!!!!
Can't sleep all night..Haven't had night sweats since surgery and last night theeeeeir back. I threw a life raft to the dog so he didn't drown. DH is still sleeping upstairs because bless his heart he has shingles and in our case misery does not love company.
I also started having the shakes 3 days ago and can't figure out where that is coming from.
Any thoughts on the shakes???

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register