what would you do? Options for treating PMS or do I have a hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what would you do?  Options for treating PMS or do I have a hysterectomy? what would you do? Options for treating PMS or do I have a hysterectomy?

Unread 04-29-2014, 04:58 PM
what would you do? Options for treating PMS or do I have a hysterectomy?

I hope I'm posting the right place new here. 46yrs old having pain in my left ovary the only one I have. The other removed cause of same things happen.Doc suggested to do hysterectomy with it removed. Have really bad pms too. To where it makes my family not like me around. Just to say a B want to know if anyone has done hysterectomy with similar symptoms and it helped.I know it will put me in to menopause but will be nice or still a B. I hate the way I'm when I pms. Are the the hot flashes and night sweats worth it all. Doc said can do homo replacement afterwards does that help. To do the surgery or live with the pain and being the big B. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2014, 04:09 AM
Re: what would you do? Options for treating PMS or do I have a hysterectomy?

Well though some women do report having horrible menopause it's really, really rare for women to have it so bad that by comparison it makes having PMDD look like happy times.
Unread 04-30-2014, 07:48 AM

Thanks replying I hope that would not happen. I'm hoping someone that has done this would reply and give me opinion. I'm scared after reading on afterwards what happens.family say do it they want me to be a better person.
Some people say hot flashes are horrible. I know I will in future be in menopause anyways. HELP need opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2014, 11:13 AM

I have severe PMDD and was wondering the same thing. I believe my PMDD is caused from low estrogen so I ordered a cream to try the week before my cycle starts. For me, 3 weeks out of the month are okay, but that 1 week - nobody wants to be around me.
Unread 05-02-2014, 08:18 PM

Hi I had severe PMDD! I also have a serious Mental Illness which would push the PMDD into overload!! I had several doctors tell me I would be miserable after my hysterectomy because of it. Boy were they wrong! I had my Hysterectomy on April 8th by a really good Gynecologist and he listened and didn't think I would have a problem with my moods all he warned me about was severe Hot flashes. I had everything taken out but one ovary my right one.

Let me tell you something my moods have Improved greatly! My hormones seem more balanced and I am happier then I have been in a long time. I admit the hot-flashes come and can be a little bit harsh but I wouldn't trade them for before for anything!

I hope that helps I know each experience is different.

Lisa
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:06 PM

That helps but the doc is going to take everything I also have depression. The doctor has me taking lupron to see if pms goes away.
but now I have mood swings I hope just med side effect.
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:13 PM

lupron is horrible for mood swings. I took it and became suicidal and made my depression worse!!

Have you brought up to the doctor your concerns regarding mental health and Hysterectomy? Can he take you off of Lupron? I just know that doctors told me that having a Hysterectomy wouldn't cure my mood swings and PMS and depression. Boy were they wrong! I know each case is different but I also know how I feel and the moods and depression is gone and I feel so MUCH better and Physically.

If they take everything I guarantee you will still be fine If it's hot-flashes you are worried about they aren't as bad as what you are dealing with right now.

I just know treating PMS and Depression is difficult with BC for some people because the side effects are worse for it.

I say go for Hysterectomy...but that again is my opinion you have to do what is best.
*hugs*
Lisa
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:40 PM

Thanks Lisa I was hoping it was side effect cause I don't want to be a "B" for ever. I can handle the hot flashes. There not to bad.
Calling the doc tomorrow to talk about just doing it. Cause this med sucks happy,sad,and mean. not fun and wants me to try this for 3months
my kids and husband will kick me out of there life. I was scaried of what it would be like after the hysterectomy. So doc thought let see thats what the med is for experiment. well I don't like being a guinea pig anyway.
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:15 PM

Have you been diagnosed with Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)? It's sort of like PMS magnified. I got really grumpy and mean with PMS and one doctor suggested it was PMDD, but I didn't learn just how nasty I could be until I had my ovaries removed and entered surgical menopause. Here is an article about Oophorectomy for PMDD. Since you asked what I would do, I would try antidepressants or even hormone therapy before removing my ovaries. I had no choice when it came down to it, my ovaries were so diseased they had to go. It's been well over a year now, and I could not handle surgical menopause. I cried almost all the time except for when I was yelling at my DH. I started HRT and life became much better, but only for a few months at a time, and I would crash. When I would start a new therapy I would feel great, only to crash again. Since having my hysterectomy/BSO my thyroid has gone compeltely off kilter. I am still anemic, and I eat a really good diet. I have lost nearly 40 pounds but I'm puffy. Tomorrow, I start yet another hormone therapy with my fingers and toes crossed that this is the one that will work. When I was only 3 or 4 months out, I might have told you to give it a shot, but now, I don't think I would advise giving up a healthy ovary. Not all women have a hard time like I am having, some have it easy. Just know that this is a risk. I would exhaust all other options first. I wish you the very best.
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:57 AM

Thanks my ovarie a problem too. I hope your levels get fixed and it would hope that would never happen to me. I think I'm just going to go through with it and put it in Gods hand.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register