Ovarian cysts - why a hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian cysts - why a hysterectomy? Ovarian cysts - why a hysterectomy?

Unread 01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Ovarian cysts - why a hysterectomy?

Im very new to this. Trying to make decisions an welcome all the input. Im 41and have been diag w ovaian cysts. Been watching left ovarian cysts grow for 8 months. Rt jst develped small cyst. Lt ovary measures 6.2 5.6 4.4 dr which i have had three opinion four if u count my general practice dr. All which say needs to come out. We recommand taking utrus and cervix too. They say since they will leave rt ovary. My thing is why do they need to take health organs (uterus n cervix). All been biop and clear reports. Only one bad pap at 25 yrs and no family history of female cancer. No periods sounds good but im not sure i want to lose health organs which may or maynot change sex life. What is anyones input. My pain level and periods can be bad i would not say it stops me but may slow me down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Re: Ovarian cysts - why a hysterectomy?

I am not sure why your doctors are recommending a complete hysterectomy along with the left oophorectomy if you do not have a condition that affects the uterus! A hysterectomy is a major surgery and if your uterus is healthy, I would not recommend removing it!

I would suggest sitting down with your doctors and specifically ask why they feel the uterus needs to be removed. If there is no medical condition that dictates its removal, I would look for another doctor!

s
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:12 PM

I have sought out three opinions. All say ovary should come out. And take cervix and uterus with it. They all say can save rt ovary. Ive had blood clot and can not take any hormons treatment so they agree to save rt ovary. I have asked why take health organs they all look at me like do what you want youll be back. Its standard and cervicial cancer and uterunan cancer prevolant. As i say no family history and i am done with kids. No real answers i feel accept well you wont get cancer in those organs. With all three dr's. This is their recommandtion. Im glad im at this site. Great information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2010, 08:18 PM

If the three doctors are suggesting a hysterectomy because it will prevent cancer, then I would suggest getting the opinion of a GYN/oncologist! They are the ones who would know if you need a hysterectomy to prevent cancer!

With what you have shared, I have to disagree with your physicians. But as three doctors agree, I am wondering if there is more information that is influencing their decision. Do they suspect you have endometriosis? Do they suspect what is causing the cyst is a condition that affects the uterus? Have any of them given you a diagnosis other than ovarian cyst? Maybe you have a specific type of cyst that would dictate a hysterectomy?

Unread 01-11-2010, 08:20 PM

I would get another opinion just in case but I can give you my story. Over the summer I was telling her all the pain I've been in and she did an Ultrasound. She said she thought the cyst was an endometrioma. If you are in pain and you have cysts and for your age I am gonna take a guess they think you have endometriosis. But then not sure why they would leave the Right ovary. Just my guess but definitley ask and get another opinion too. And look into endo and see if it sounds like your symptoms! Hope that helps and hope you feel better!
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:44 PM

My regular obgyn is the one who found it. No mention on endom. The other 2 opinion are gyn/oncologist 1st referral from my ob. To oncologist sent me for mri again no mention endo. 3 opinion totally independ with referral from bestfriends breast oncologist. So thank you please keep input coming. Im calling this wk appt with first oncoloigst ill call her Dr A. She is very good with conservative approach and gave me her cell phone # if i had quick questions.
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:46 PM

If you have been referred to oncologists, then I am guessing your doctors have reason to believe the hysterectomy is necessary for prevention of cancer. Do give the first doctor a call and ask her why she feels a hysterectomy is necessary and if there are other options you can discuss.

in there! s
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:52 PM

Yeah, I'm with Weiser.

Unless you can try to find someone who won't take it all but if they all think you'll be back - they are probably just thinking of you and so you don't have to keep going back in for surgeries and like she said must have reasons. I have seen so much of that on here. As long as it isn't endo and you can keep one ovary you'll avoid HRT's which is a plus side.
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:24 PM

Lol i had so many questions soon as my obgyn said surgery that he said perhaps an oncologist may answer better ct125 elevated to 30. Oncologist both said unrelabley not to worry about cancer no where near cancer levels. Dr. A says she recommands uterus/cervix removed b/c once when i was 25 yrs old had 1 abn pap with dysplasa. (Sorry sp.) no family history. But she considers that history. thank you again for helping me think this out.
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:26 PM

Oh whts HRT?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register