TAH weight gain 6 weeks post op can i exercise? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

weight gain 6 weeks post op can i exercise? weight gain 6 weeks post op can i exercise?

Unread 03-26-2013, 03:43 PM
weight gain 6 weeks post op can i exercise?

Hi all
I was just after your advice and thoughts please. I had a TAH just over 6 weeks ago and my surgeon said i was fine to exercise. He didnt do an internal examination and when i told him my tummy feels bruised above my scar he said that will be adhesions and i just have to get used to it. I have put on over half a stone and feel so unhappy because of it. Im 34 years old and feel like my life is over. Dramatic i know. Do u know if its ok to do all exercise now. Zumba spinning gym etc. even with a sore tummy? I would appreciate your thoughts comments and any help as i feel alone right now xxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Re: weight gain 6 weeks post op can i exercise?

I was cleared to exercise at 4 weeks, but I started slowly. Walking on the treadmill only for the first week while gradually increasing the speed. The next week I added light , light weights. The third week, I added new machines and have been fine, but I started gradually...good luck to you!
Unread 03-26-2013, 04:53 PM

((BIG HUGS)) to you!! Tou life is not over, it is just beginning! It's okay to exercise, but you may need to go slow. I know that you want change right now but you are going to have to be patient. With an already sore stomach, zumba may be a bit much at first, but you can try. Walking is excellent exercise. I would say for other types of exercise, add them gradually. I know that when I tried to do too much, my stomach would swell. I then had to take a break.
As long as you are cleared, it's okay to exercise, just go easy on yourself at first and work your way up to a more aggressive workout. What ever you do, just listen to your body, watch what you're eating and be patient.
This surgery took a lot out of you. So step by step, little by little you will get to where you need to be. It's said that it could take up to a yr to get to 100%, so sweetie, hang in there it'll happen.
I am one yr post op today, I feel great. I am no where near where I want to be, but I sure am no where near where I was. I'll say it again to you Sarah, you will get there!

Lots if ((HUGS)) to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2013, 08:55 PM

Thank you! I have been swimming and am walking more now and it's great. Thanks for your advice xxx
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah louise View Post
Thank you! I have been swimming and am walking more now and it's great. Thanks for your advice xxx

Good for you! I'm so happy to hear that you are able to do more now. It's a wonderful feeling isn't
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Yes it is. I'm wandering if it would be ok to start using a rowing machine? I'm desperate to lose weight but find it hard to stop eating which is why I really need to increase my exercise. I guess I'm too scared to try anything! I'm thinking cycling may be better to start with before using weights etc. at least I will b doing something!!!
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:30 PM

hi Sarah I also had a tah and also on monday I reached 6 weeks post op. I tried Zumba at 4 weeks and as I shared with our sisters I only lasted 20 minutes and I had to leave the class. I was hurting but nothing serious and I spot all day but very lightly. Today at 6 weeks I gave it another shot and I was pleasantly surprised !! I completed my full hour of zumba and no pain.
I took 400mg ibuprofen (2 pills) before class and during class you are encourage to drink water after every song/routine. So I did that and also adapted some movements, no high impact no jumping instead I marched, no shaking or streaching torso instead move hips side to side and i intensify arm and leg movements. The most important I had a blast my spirit was uplifted and I finished with no pain. I am excited and can't wait to go back tomorrow. Good luck and just listen to your body and keep your self hydrated during exersise.
blessings
carolina
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:50 PM

Thanks Carolina. That's given me more confidence now! I love Zumba but was too scared to go back. I shall try it now and see how I go. Thanks x
Unread 04-09-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah louise View Post
Yes it is. I'm wandering if it would be ok to start using a rowing machine? I'm desperate to lose weight but find it hard to stop eating which is why I really need to increase my exercise. I guess I'm too scared to try anything! I'm thinking cycling may be better to start with before using weights etc. at least I will b doing something!!!
Walking and swimming are excellent forms of exercice. I don't see why you can't try a rowing machine I added bike riding around month 3 post op. Just remember to listen to your body be careful not to overload your body all at once.

You have to consider changing some of what you eat in addition to exercising. They work together. It's an overall lifestyle change. The most important thing is patience and try not to get too frustrated.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register