TLH 3 days after surgery and no BM :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days after surgery and no BM :( 3 days after surgery and no BM :(

Unread 09-13-2013, 11:21 AM
3 days after surgery and no BM :(

Hi ladies : I had my surgery on Sep 10 I've doing well so far. I'm also doing better with my gas pain (and shoulder pain). Now my concern is that I don't have BM Yet. I have to say that I have bowel prep before surgery. So I was empty.I'm drinking lots of water since I was allowed to eat and drink. Not eating a lot of food (cause not so hungry) but still eat. Idk if a should call my doc now or just wait cause is "normal" ..any advice to start moving on.... thank u in advance sisters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Re: 3 days after surgery and no BM :(

Do you feel like you have to go? I had my TLH on 9/11 and was told not to expect a BM until Saturday. I have been eating mostly softer foods like cottage cheese, yogurt, pudding, etc but I had my first BM today! I definitely felt the need to and then it easily happened.

I also had a prep so was very empty. They told me to take colace and miralax from day 1. I took 1 colace each day and 1 dose of miralax. I truly believe that helped to get on top of things early. I have no ability to push down hard, so if it wasn't already soft, I would have been in trouble.

Good luck!!!
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:09 PM

I had surgery on 9/6 and it took 4 days post op to have a BM. I did take a laxative on the 3 night PO. Hope this brings you some comfort. Keep drinking water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2013, 02:10 PM

Hi Melanie : I'm glad you doing well. I actually don't feel hat I have to go and I don't feel bloated. I'm too taking one Colace each day (dr didn't say anything about Miralax) I'm eating soft food too. Oatmeal and cold cereal too. One cup of coffee each day. I'm just worried cause I don't know what to expect or when to expect to happen lol. THANKS!!
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:01 PM

I had my surgery on August 29 and just had my 2 week post op appointment yesterday and everything is well so far my doc says. After surgery I hadn't had a BM till four days later. I found on this site somewhere where someone suggested warm prune juice and ginger ale, drink it like coffee. It worked on me within a two hour period. My doctor suggested stool softeners but they didn't work. It is normal for your bowels to be very slow getting back on track. Also walking helps get things moving as well.
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:24 PM

Try drinking small amounts prune juice. Starting drinking as soon as returned from hospital, per my hubby's instruction, 24 hrs post op and had first BM 24 hrs later. Only taking 1 gas X/day. Keep moving about, walking and drinking fluids! My best to you!
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:55 PM

Sounds like you should be ok. When you are ready for you first BM remember not to strain. What I did was take a deep breath and blow it out slowly. Take your time. Make sure you are eating the right foods so you do not have a hard time. I did not have my appetite the first few days too. My first BM was three days later after I finally took a half dose of my lactose Rx from a pre-op bout of constipation. By week three my bowels were more normal. Best wishes for you!
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:09 PM

Walk. I had Miralax and colace to get things going, but walking was what really helped. I didn't go for 4 days either, but I had full fledged abdominal surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register