Pre-Op Helpful hints | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Helpful hints Pre-Op Helpful hints

Unread 01-13-2003, 08:27 AM
Pre-Op Helpful hints

Ladies, A few things. My doctor put packing inside me after the surgery. I didn't know it until the nurse came to take it out. It doesn't hurt to have it removed, but, it's so funny. It was like the magicians trick where they pull on the scarf, and it just keeps coming and coming. Beware. There's alot of long skinny gauze inside you, if they pack you. Afterward I had very little discharge and no bleeding. Once I came home, nothing at all. Yee-Ha. Please do what the nurses say. They may put blood pressure things on your legs. They are good for you. I actually liked it. It keeps the circulation going and helps prevent blood clots. At first, you really arent' moving at all, so they are necessary. Also, if they give you this thing to breathe into, do it. I did it every hour, if I remembered and it made a difference. We need the oxygen for our brains and for our blood. And please bring ear plugs to the hospital. It is a very noisy place. I got a room to myself and that was nice, but still the place is busy and noisy. If you want to nap or sleep, you'll need earplugs. I brought my flannel "Puppy Dog P.J's" with me. Figured I'd look decent if I got visitors. Truth is, it was so hot in the hospital, (and no I don't get hot flashes) that all I could bear was the silly hospital gown. I had my covers folded down most of the time and the heat in my room was turned off. So if you want to bring something from home, pack for summer weather. I didn't care a bit about what I looked like cause I was so medicated on Percaset. I also ended up saying "No visitors", and I'm glad. You can't relax completely if you know people might be walking in to visit. It's only for a couple of days, so think about opting for no friends visiting. Also if you have any urine leakage problems, ask your gyn. if he can take care of that while he's in there. I did and I guess it's a piece of cake for them to do a little repair as long as they're in the vicinity. I ended up with a catheter for a couple of days and it was wonderful. I drank 130 ounces of water both days and it was heavenly cause I never needed to get up to go potty. You feel nothing, no urge to go, no pressure. It's great. Wish I could have one at home, for nightime. Just kidding. It doesn't hurt to have it removed either, so don't fret like I did. And my first pee pee was painless and easy. I was worried about that too. Relax. That would be my best advice. These surgeries are done daily and all the things that are scary to us are common place to the nurses and doctors. I loved the hospital and wished I could have stayed longer. Great care. Every four hours they take your vitals and that made me feel comfortable. As far as relaxing goes, pay attention to your body. I caught myself tensing my shoulders and neck alot. Consciencely start at the top of your head and work your way down, telling youself to relax this and that. It helped me alot. And if you have notice before your surgery, like I did, work on your upper body strength. Do push ups and stuff. You'll need your arms and shoulders afterward. That way you can pull yourself up in the hospital bed and turn over and stuff like that without using your tummy muscles. And one more thing. Ask for your pain medication, before you think you need it. It takes the nurses 1/2 hour or so before they show up with your meds. They need permission from someone else (some of them are just aides). I wrote down when the meds were given to me and called them when I was due. I asked the nurses if they came automatically every four hours to administer the Percaset and they said, "No, you have to ask". So ask. Cause once or twice I didn't cause it really didn't hurt that badly, and by the time I got my meds the pain was bad, and it didn't go away until after the second dose 4 hours later. So stay up on your meds and keep it in your system steadily until you don't need it anymore. On the second day they lowered me to one Percaset and one Motrin and I was just fine, really. Once I went home I never needed anything, didn't even get the prescription filled. But while the pain is there, take care of it. No need to suffer. And ask for stool softeners, if they are not offered. You'll need it. Hope my observations and experiences in the hospital will help make your stay easier and more pleasant. Knowledge is power. Isn't this sight the best? Love to you all. Rest and drink lots of water. Dorothy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2003, 10:39 AM
thank you

Dottie, Thanks for all the great tips. I'm really nervous and you made that a little better.
Unread 01-13-2003, 02:52 PM
Pre-Op Helpful hints

I agree with everything that you said.

The reason for it being so hot in the room is that the pumps that they place on your legs produce that heat. I asked the nurse for a cold wash rag to place on my forhead to help with the heat. As soon as they took the pumps off of my legs, you would have thought that a breeze of cold wind just hit them.. it felt wonderful.

Also a tip on the upper body strength,... if they cannot get the IV on the top part of your hand, sometimes they try your wrist... you cannot bend your wrist with a needle in it... believe me when I tell you this... it makes it difficult to move around... anywhere but the wrist.

Wishing all of you a very speedy surgery and recovery..

Angee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register