Got my surgery date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got my surgery date Got my surgery date

Unread 05-04-2011, 04:50 AM
Got my surgery date

My doctors office called yesterday and I am scheduled for June 30, 2011. Now I am getting freaked out which I am sure is normal. The plan is for a LSH leaving my ovaries. I am going on vacation July 30, we are renting a beach house so it will be relaxing but I am just hoping I will be recovered enough by then to go away. So many emotions happy, scared, excited and nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Re: Got my surgery date

From reading the post op, post its clear that every womans recovery is different.I am currently in hospital ,not for the hysterectomy its scheduled for 23/6.I am in the gyno ward with other ladies in my ward are recovering from hysterectomys one 1day post op the other 3 days and belive me my fears of the recovery have been eased ! the nurse taking care of me has also had the op and said she was back on her feet after 3 weeks and would like to have gone back to work.Hope you get to enjoy your holiday
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:33 AM

Based on my surgery, I had a LaVH, I could have made it, to be safe, Don't plan on carrying in luggage, heavy grocery bags. Save some medication for the trip.

When you go to the hospital, take ear plugs!!, they put me on maternity ward & the screaming babies & beeping machines will keep you up.

Drive the route to the hospital & find the smooth streets, it will make the drive home much more pleasant. Remind the driver, the smoother stop & goes are the better you'll feel.

When I came out of the hospital (overnight stay) I was medicated & felt great, I came home & felt like baking-- very bad idea, my brain was in slow mode & it was hard to follow a recipe & I had to throw it out, I still have no idea what I forgot to add.

Because I was feeling good, I stopped my pain pills, very bad idea for me, it's hard to play catch up. so just go to bed & relax, I got dvd's, comfy pajamas.

The hospital suggested someone stay with me for 24 hours, great Idea, but I felt like I had company & had to socialize. That was another mistake I made. Staying in bed & sleeping alowing my mom to watch tv would have been a better idea.

in a week you'll look good on the outside & I had forgotten that my insides had some major work done, so don't let yourself be fooled. Take it easy, relax at the beach. Don't plan on surfing, I personally woudn't jet ski or anything like that, but a vacation during recovery would have been a nice idea for me.

Best wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2011, 05:05 PM

I just found out today that my appointment is for June 30th also. I have a pre-op appointment on the 16th. I'm feeling very good about this decision. I had an endometrial ablation in March of 2010 for heavy and painful bleeding, but my problems have only gotten worse after that procedure; in fact, I wish I had never had that procedure done. This whole thing has totally made me into a big mess.

My poor husband has put up with all of this and tries to understand as well as he can. I can see that he's concerned over the whole thing. He was trying to find out information about hysterectomies on the Internet and actually asked me some questions about it. This is coming from a man who really doesn't like to talk about womens periods! :-) I saw something in one posting that talked about a Misterhysters? I believe that was what it was called. I'll have to look into it and have him check that out. I also want him to go to the pre-op with me so he can ask the doc any questions he's concerned about.

I just want to get "back to normal". I want to be able to wear pants in any color, besides black or dark blue, I want to stop carrying pads with me everywhere I go, I want to stop taking pills to make the pain go away and I want to stop using all my sick leave at work for this problem. I'm so tired of the pain and of the heavy and constant periods. The ablation didn't help me at all.

This site has been such a blessing for me and has really helped me a lot. I'm so glad I found it! June 30th can't get here soon enough for me! :-)
Unread 05-13-2011, 06:34 PM

I feel the same way we will have to keep up with eachother. My pre-op appt is June 21.
Unread 05-15-2011, 12:34 PM

Hi Shellybards,

I also had a LSH. I think after a month post-op...you will most likely be up to your trip. I actually went back to work at (2) weeks post-op.

I can suggest just taking it easy...even at the one month mark..and if something sounds like too much to do...then it most likely is. You don't want to tire yourself out too much. Even though a LSH is a less invasive hyst...it is still major surgery...so just take all the time you need with your recovery.

Best wishes ~

Mary
Unread 05-15-2011, 04:15 PM

I agree each person is different. the outside will look like something minor happened, but still take it easy, I shoveled something & started bleeding. I didn't tear anything but I kept reading how "easy" the new surgeries are. for the doctor-- yes, your body No. Don't be a hero in this. Take it easy.

Twisting & leaning for file drawers & things can be hard on you. Take time to heal & don't be afraid to back off when your body says "oops-- that stung"

Diane

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register