Surgery postponed - venting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery postponed - venting Surgery postponed - venting

Unread 01-17-2002, 07:50 AM
Surgery postponed - venting

Well, after all my planning and getting everything ready, structuring my entire life around my January 15 surgery date (as well as other people's lives who were helping me), I came down with a nasty case of the flu with chest congestion and the whole 9 yards. I was so bummed about the whole thing. My doc moved it 3 weeks into the future, Feb. 5th, just to be sure my lungs are clear and I'm strong and healthy again. The biggest thing is the mental letdown of sorts. You get yourself mentally prepared, which in my case was a HUGE deal, only to arrive on the day of surgery and be turned away. Anyone else had this happen? Oh well, more time to go on some long walks and do even more to get ready for my surgery and recovery.

Take care all! I love this site and really appreciate the supportive women here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 08:00 AM

I'm sorry you got postponed! But welcome to Feb 5! I've told my whole family that from here on if anyone even thinks about catching anything and giving it to me they're in deep trouble!
Unread 01-17-2002, 09:01 AM

Oh, Cindy....I'm so sorry your surgery got postponed and that you are not feeling well. That is quite a let down! But, you'll be good as new for surgery on Feb. 5. Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 10:43 AM

Gee, that's a bummer for your surgery to get cancelled after all you've done in preparation for the surgery. Plenty of LIW's have had their surgeries postponed due to illness. Sure, they get bummed too.

Because my surgery was being done in February of last year, I visited my internist 20 days prior to my surgery for another flu shot. I isolated myself from other people as much as possible and didn't get the flu or cold prior to my surgery. Hard to do when you have a family or are around a lot of people.

I agree with Mary Lou about giving anyone grief if they even think about catching anything and trying to pass it on to our LIW's.

Take care!
Unread 01-17-2002, 11:34 AM

CindyO,

I'm so sorry about your surgery being postponed. Mine is in less than two weeks and I have been paranoid about getting sick. I told my kids to try to stay away from sick kids at school, been making them wash their hands all the time. I teach Pre-School and I've tried not to get too close to the children. I have been washing my hands like crazy and using that gel for hands, too. Luckily I got a flu shot this year, so I won't have to worry about that!

I hope you get better soon! I know how disappointed you are. This waiting game is the pits!

Take care of yourself--
Unread 01-17-2002, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the support, gals! I knew I wasn't alone. My problem is that I work in an office of 100+ where it is very commonplace for people come to work sick. I really wish it weren't that way....UGH!! AND I had a flu shot back in October. Just goes to show it doesn't make you totally immune.
Unread 01-17-2002, 05:46 PM
Blessing?

Perhaps think of it this way, your immune system was low enough to get sick! Maybe it's a blessing of some sort, if you can force yourself to think of it this way. Build up your immunity and get plenty of rest & proper nutrition.

I went for my hospital pre-op visit yesterday, I received a handout for coughing exercises; apparantly after surgery you need to do coughing exercises every 2 hours to keep your lungs free of secretions (weird huh?)

Take care,
Renee
Unread 01-17-2002, 06:09 PM
mine was cancelled

My TAH BSO was cancelled the night before surgery because of my ekg done at pre op. I know exactly how you're feeling. A good friend who believes there are no accidents told me that she thought there was a reason for it. Maybe my Dr would be having a bad day, etc. Well, I went to his office to talk to him that day and sure enough, he looked miserable. I'm glad they postponed my surgery.
I can tell you that you'll probably be more nervous this time. You'll have too much time to think about it. Just keep coming back to this site for encouragement. It really helped me.

Get Well. Use lots of Purelle and Lysol spray. Don't shake hands. I was really affraid they'd cancel again on me up until the last minute. Keep positive. All will go well and you'll feel great after surgery. JH
Unread 01-17-2002, 06:38 PM

Well sweetie, we're in a similar boat.

My surgery was scheduled for a week from today (Jan. 24th) and due to another poor woman's fate (cancer) they're moving me out a week -- let's all take a few minutes to pray for this unknown woman who is facing such a terrible challenge, hhmm?

I was just getting "comfortable" with my upcoming surgery so at first I panicked at this setback, but then I figured "Hey! It gives me LOTS more time to read up and talk to you wonderful ladies and be better prepared" so now I'm not upset anymore

From the "I can top that" department...

The first time I went in for sinus surgery I got to the hospital, went through all the paperwork and getting the I.V. put in and being all prepped when the doctor called to say she had woken up with a horrible respiratory infection and couldn't do the surgery today after all and her office would call me the first of next week to see about when they could reschedule!

Since I was already doped up partially I couldn't go in to work (which did NOT please my boss) and wound up wasting a day of vacation/sick time on the couch.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register