bra question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-12-2004, 01:55 AM
bra question

Just got my results from laparoscopy, hysteroscopy and d&c. Results were enlarged uterus, fibroids and endometriosis. Options given were Lupron or hysto. Dr. said to take a week and research, think on it, and discuss. (This site has been a big help!) Lupron does not seem like an effective long term fix to me. Going to call the Dr. tomorrow and set up an appointment to discuss hysterectomy. I've found so much information my head is spinning. But I still have two questions. The first is, how soon post-op can one wear a bra? I'm fairly large and just don't feel comfortable without one. Could someone please share bra info with me? And (I'm so embarassed) when I went in for my results I had a long list of questions, but I wasn't expecting the endo diagnosis and it totally threw me off, so I ended up asking nothing helpful. Anyone else go into it feeling totally prepared and educated and end up feeling like they were in school naked without their homework?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2004, 02:02 AM
bra question

All the time, Christine. Hormone brain has really gotten me hard core in the last few months. I have to write down my lists of questions now. The doc doesn't mind. In fact, now he answers them and emails them to me. He's a great guy. Don't know about the bra question, but i'm not gonna wear one until i have to go out, because i'm having a vertical incision.
Unread 03-12-2004, 03:44 AM
bra question

I was curious about this too. Don't want to have to walk the halls and have visitors without one on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2004, 04:35 AM
bra question

Hi Ladies,
I am also pretty large in the chest dept. and I have bought a sports bra to take to the hospital. I figured that with this, I do not have to try and fumble with hooks and eyes and my arms behind my back and that sort of thing. I thought with a sports bra, I could either get my husband, the nurse, or somone, to help me just put it over my head and then it's just a matter of pulling it down and tucking everything in. That was my idea. It not the greatest for support when you are large like I am up there, but it's something, and comfortable. I, too, am very paranoid about walking around bra-less. Home fine, but the hospital....everything has headed south as far as those are concerned and I would be very self concious.
Unread 03-12-2004, 05:07 AM
bra question

When I learned of my surgery I had 2 days notice but I still went out and bought new everything to wear in the hospital and let me tell you, I did not wear any of it! Why?
Because frankly I didn't care! heh-heh.
Anyway, about the bra thing, I am kind of large but the last thing I was worried about when it came right down to it was my bra! I'd say the first 2 days you won't worry about it but, as soon as you are able to shower that would be the time to put one on if you want to. I'd say get one that is front closing so you are able to put it on and get it off. I stayed in the hospital 4 days and never thought about putting one on! Comfort first!
Best wishes!
Unread 03-12-2004, 05:42 AM
BRA?

Heck i agree with the let it all hang out theory. In the hospital i was so uncomfortable with gas and sore muscles i could have cared less if they dragged the floor. I say if its comfy to wear go for it if not let it all hang out and wear a loose shirt believe me the nurses have seen it all and the other patients are so into their own comfort the could care less too. LOL Be comfortable thats the most important thing.
Good luck with your surgery and have a great recovery.
Tango
Unread 03-12-2004, 05:42 AM
bra question

Good question! I may not have thought to ask! I even sleep in my bra. I can't stand not having some support! And good luck to you also! I had a surprising endo diagnosis and am still preparing questions to ask at my pre-op appt. I am in Michigan also. I am in Souteast area. Hugs, Christy
Unread 03-12-2004, 06:39 AM
bra question

There's no reason you can't wear a bra in the hospital if it makes you comfortable. However, you might want to re-think the sports bra. Getting in and out of a sports bra is very difficult and you might find it too painful. I recommend a front-hook bra like a "leisure" bra, or sleep bra. Cotton will be more comfortable.

Check around at specialty stores...even Sears and Penny's offer these types of bras as well. After my mastectomies, I no longer need to worry about such things, but I'll be going home wearing a comfortable front-hook cotton bra (made by Ameona, they make post-mastectomy/post-surgery bras). It's comfortable, supportive, and easy to get in and out of! But think twice about the sports bra, unless you find the kind that have front hooks or zips.

Best (supportive!) wishes!

Mary
Unread 03-12-2004, 06:49 AM
bra question

I am not large in that department but, like some of the other responses... while in the hospital I could have cared less what I looked like or what anyone saw. I put my bra on to come home, I just had to ask the nurse to hook it for me. Best of luck to ya!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register