Post LSH Recovery Time? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post LSH Recovery Time? Post LSH Recovery Time?

Unread 03-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Post LSH Recovery Time?

I'm scheduled for an LSH (Keeping ovaries and cervix). I had read in the brochure the Dr. gave me that LSH has a recovery time of 2-3 weeks, but he said it's more like 4-6. As in not going to work for 4-6 weeks. I was courious as to the recovery rate of some other ladies. I'm 38...getting REAL close to 39, but technically, still 38. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Post LSH Recovery Time?

Hi,

I'm 44 and had LSH on 1/28. At about the third week I had the feeling I could've gone back to work, but remembered what hystersisters and the hospital told me -- remember you're still healing even though you feel great. So, I took it easy until my 4 week post-op Dr. visit (yesterday). I was cleared to do anything I want to, with the caveat that I must ramp up and not do too much too quickly. At the hospital the release paperwork said 4 weeks of pelvic rest for LSH. I do not plan to return to work until the full 6 weeks are up. That will give me almost two weeks to ramp up at the gym and build my energy.

Remember to rest, drink lots of water and walk every day!

Good luck,

Linda
Unread 03-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Post LSH Recovery Time?

Hi,

I'm also 38 (but getting close to 39 as well). Had my TAH/BSO Vert. Incision six months ago. I took the full six weeks to recover and with the big incision I needed it. It was at least another month after that before I felt like my normal self. The first week back at work I was so tired when I got home - I returned full-time and all I did for two weeks was go to work each day and then rest when I got home.

During my recovery - I felt like myself by the 4th week and wanted to go back to work part-time, but the doctor said no because he wanted me to take it easy and get myself really well rested - I did more moving about - I did lunches with friends etc., and it all went well - although the days I spent out I did feel it when I got home.

Stay home for the six weeks if you can so that when you go back to work you will be ready.

Hugs,
Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Post LSH Recovery Time?

I had LSH/BSO on Feb 9th, and today had my first post-op appt. My doc cleared me to go back to work - I've already been going in for half-days a couple times a week. My work right now is not physically demanding, except in 2 weeks I'll have to be on my feet for 4 hours at a time each day.

She also cleared me to do yoga and walk as much as I wanted. I have some bleeding, so no strenuous exercise until that stops.

I am 48, was in great physical shape pre-surgery, and feel really great now. The surgery for me was not a problem - I felt good every day afterwards. Hope you experience the same!
Unread 03-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Post LSH Recovery Time?

I'm 31 and just had LSH on 2/2. I'm going back to work 3/3. I took the 4 weeks off. At first I thought I could go back sooner, but realized that I needed the 4 weeks. I would like to think that I was in pretty good shape beforehand too.

The first two weeks were kind of hard. But by the 3rd week I was feeling better. And this week has been great!
Unread 03-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Recovery time LSH

My LSH was on February 21st and so it's barely a week. I was in the hospital 2 nights. I felt really great coming home, only a little fatigue from the two hour ride, no pain.
I have tried to do some work in my home office the last couple of days. I find it difficult to sit at the computer or dinner as regular chairs seem to make my abdomin uncomfortable. I tried a pillow today, not much help. I am borrowing an aerobics ball from a friend and will try that tomorrow, just to sit on.
I went in to my office yesterday (day 7) and "observed" ( I own my own retail store). After 2 hours I was getting a little discomfort and my swelly belly increased so I headed back home to the couch. I don't plan on going in the rest of the week and am just hoping the ball will help me sit at my home office computer a couple of hours a day with breaks.
I'm guessing I will only put in a couple hours at my office in my third week and not back for half days until the fourth week. I can only hope it will be easier after that.
I have no real pain just a full feeling and as the day goes on I'll feel a twinge or two in middle of my abdomin. And all else including water works is doing fine. I have a thing for buckwheat pancakes and that with a stool softner seems to have worked.
The surgery went really well and I took Lupron 3 months prior to shrink fibroids and it worked very well.
My post op appointment is 3 weeks and the van ride to work yesterday (about 15 minutes one way) did not bother me at all.

Take as much time as your allowed. I'm just a little anxious. It's different when you are the boss. My personal opinion is that rest up front is the best way to approach recovery and no one wants to get back to normal more than me.

Good luck. I think LSH is the way to go if you can do it. My doctor said it's two weeks less recovery on average than other methods.
I think at this point that is accurate, so about 4 weeks.

Nan
Unread 03-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Post LSH Recovery Time?

Hi there,
I was cleared for everything, sex included at 4 weeks post-op. I still didn't push myself for the following couple of weeks and stopped if I felt tired.
Every one recovers differently, but please remember to take the time to take care of yourself. I would plan on taking the 4 weeks off, and if you can, maybe go in part-time for the next 2 weeks. Again, it's up to you. I'm glad I took it easy as I feel absolutely wonderful now at 8 weeks post-op!
Good luck.
Unread 03-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Post LSH Recovery Time?

Nan,

Sitting on an exercise stability ball requires a lot of ab work. It seems kind of early for you to be stressing that area IMHO. I'd recommend you check with your Dr. before you start using it. I'd hate for you to hurt yourself so early in your recovery.

Best wishes,

Linda
Unread 03-02-2005, 08:00 AM
Post LSH Recovery Time?

Hi Linda,

You are probably right. I thought my legs would help support as in a chair my abs still seem to be involved.
My friends craft partner had a hyst the first week in February and uses it but she probably has been using it for some time.
I will proceed with caution. Perhaps the sitting thing is unique to a few of us. The couch and bed is a bit depressing.
It seems I'm involving my abs as I move around and am trying to really be good. I feel good and keep reminding myself I have to allow healing time. I don't feel any aches until evening.
I have quaranteened myself to the house the rest of the week so I don't overdue it. I hope to get out to walk when our weather warms a little in a few days.
I am on my feet a lot generally and can do whatever I need to do at the kitchen island but my back does get a bit weary.
I am going to be patient for another week.

Thanks for your advise.
Unread 03-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Post LSH Recovery Time?

Hi Nan,

The sitting thing was hard for me too. Sitting for long periods, over 30 minutes, was absolutely painful during the first 3 weeks. Nothing helped. I've read here that as your internal tissues heal, sitting takes an extra toll on them. I found that reclining on the couch worked best for me.

Take care,
Lori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register