afraid to have a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

afraid to have a hysterectomy afraid to have a hysterectomy

Unread 10-09-2006, 07:43 PM
afraid to have a hysterectomy

I was told by my ob/gyn that i need a hysterectomy, because i have fibroids as big as a person that is four months preg. and i also have pre cancer cells of the uterus. she said to get rid of the fibroids and cancer cells to have a hysterectomy. i suffer from aniexty and i am pretty shook up about the thought of being put to sleep. i need some support asap. i put the surgery off until the first of the year, but my family said i should have it as soon as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2006, 08:26 PM

Hi congrim and

We're happy you joined the Hystersisters community. There is a ton of solid information on the site and the members have unlimited cyber-hugs to dispense to you at all stages of your journey to good health.

Please let your medical provider know that you are feeling anxious about your upcoming surgery. Doctors can help you cope with this through medication. I wasn't a bit scared of getting anesthesia...for me, it was a breeze. I know that fears vary widely from person to person however, and sometimes our fears are not grounded in reality at all, but it still doesn't mean we are less afraid.

I read something here on the site one time, that was posted by a member who, like you, was afraid of being put to sleep. She said that her anesthesiologist explained to her that his job is a "two-way street." It's not just about putting someone asleep, it's about bringing them back to consciousness as well.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 10-09-2006, 08:35 PM

Hi Congrim,i am 22 and just had my hyst last monday and i too have aniexty,so naturaly i was very shook up about it and scared,but if it depends on your health and everyday living it really is the best. When you are put to sleep its not that bad,and you have a anest. with you at all times monitoring you making sure everything is good. I asked my doc and he was able to give me something through my iv before they took me for surgery that calms you down.......and it really is a life saver. Hope i helped alittle bit and wish you the best of luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2006, 12:00 AM

It's alright I think everyone gets scared.

I know I was a basket case. The waiting is really hard on you. It can make things worse I think. If you can bump up your surgery I think I would. If you know in your heart that you have to do it why not just get it over with. I wish you the best of luck!
Unread 10-10-2006, 02:25 AM

I would schedule the surgery as soon as possible as the waiting is the worst part of the whole thing. I was terrified of the anaesthetic. Always have been my entire adult life. I had never had one until this and was always convinced I would either wake up mid surgery or never come out of it. It was actually remarkably easy on the day. They gave me a pre-med by mouth that really calmed me down. I was practically asleep before they gave me the anaesthetic. Its weird, there is no sensation of going to sleep at all. One minute you are chatting to them and the next second you wake up in recovery. There is nothing to it. There is no sensation of time passing at all. When I woke up I felt very peacefull and calm. It was like waking up from the best sleep ever, very gentle. I would not be frightened if I had to do it again. Now I think of all that wasted energy on a fear I didnt need to have. There is no doubt you need this surgery so I would advise that you just do it and then its done and you will be on the other side on your way to recovery and a life where this isnt taking up your every waking moment. While I was waiting for my surgery (and it was only 4 weeks from when I first went to the Dr and the surgery date) it drove me mad. I couldnt function, I couldnt think of anything else. It seemed to be my only topic of conversation. I was sick of thinking and worrying about it and I think everyone around me was too. Get it behind you as soon as you can.
Unread 10-10-2006, 08:01 AM

Based on my experience the last few weeks and what I have read on this site the waiting does seem to be the worst part. If you can move it up you may want to consider doing so. I scheduled mine about a month ago for Jan 8th, I cannot do it sooner due to work etc but at this point if I could figure out a way to move it up I would.

I have never had any kind of surgery and have never spent a night in the hospital since I was born. I am so nervous about the surgery itself it is becomign consuming, without this site I think I would go mad!!!! I had such a bad case of depression last week that I am actually going to start seeing a therapist again to get me through this.

My husband had a hernia op a few weeks ago and he said it was a breeze, of course I was an absolute wreak. I didn't realize how nervous I was for him and myself (somehow I was looking at it as a test drive) until he was home a few days and I just crashed from the emotional energry !

I would talk with your doctor, he/she may be able to help.

Good luck and if you can't move it up keep coming to thsi site, it is a little ray of sanity when you start to lose it!!!
Unread 10-11-2006, 07:24 AM

Good luck and we are all here for you. I am ok with getting the anestisea but I am always scared of the aftermath when you wake up...not knowing mcuh as you are so out of it. But that is caused by the amnesia that is in the anestsia to help you not remember the pain. I made it through3 now so I know you will be fine I am here for you and if you need to talk im here
Take care
mezmerized
Unread 10-11-2006, 08:39 AM

I'm a big chicken and had a TVH on 9/15. It was OK! If you're not ready yet, I guess the first of the year is when to do it. I wish I had had mine in February, instead of going on Lupron (anemia problem) for six months, and having it in Sept. I felt some discomfort.

Good luck to you! Really, it wasn't at all what I expected.
Unread 10-11-2006, 09:38 AM

Hi Congrim,

Please do not be afraid to have this surgery. It really isn't that bad..honestly. Chances are the pain you're experiencing now with the fibroids are causing more pain than what you'll feel after the surgery. I was frightened to death at first and now that I am 2 weeks post op here....I keep thinking how silly I was to have this done..it's not bad.

So just go have it and be done with it and put it behind you. You mentioned precancer cells in the uterus..I was told this, but my pathology report after the surgery showed 10% had already turned to cancer...I am not telling you this to scare you, and it may not be your case..but get it out and don't wait until it does turn to cancer...you do NOT want to mess with this precancer stuff.

I wish you luck. Go and make that appointment and get it done. You will be surprised how well you do..and also, you have all your Sisters here who will be right with you holding your hand and answering any questions you have.

Best of luck to you!!!
Hugs, love and prayers!
Unread 10-11-2006, 10:25 AM

Welcome! You came to right place for GREAT support!
I am a big chicken too! I hate needles and I have to say my experience was a great one, I am happy it is done! I had 3 bad hours in the hospital and that was it, I had a little pain a 2 on the 0-10 scale and I was nauseous for a few hours, hot tea took care of that. I went in on a Tuesday morning and home on Thursday morning.
Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register