Bladder/Urination issues/questions (TAH 02/04/08) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder/Urination issues/questions (TAH 02/04/08) Bladder/Urination issues/questions (TAH 02/04/08)

Unread 02-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Bladder/Urination issues/questions (TAH 02/04/08)

Hi

I have not had the energy to post since my TAH last Monday but do need some help/support if possible.

TAH on 02/04/08. Foley Catherter removed the next morning. 6 hrs later i still could not urinate. They straight catheritised me to get my bladder emptied. After that my urine was very slow to come, very short streams, horrible odor and milky color. Went back to the Dr on Friday with a urine sample and they said I had an infection (well I told them that even earlier). So I am on antibiotics. But here is the issues:

1) I do not feel my bladder - no feeling that it is full or anything.
2) I have to go make myself urinate and it is very hard work to acheive any output - takes a long time, stream is weak, only small amounts come out.
3) I do not have a temperature, the urine is a better a color and is now odorless.
4) I had morphine on 02/04/ and a bit on 02/05. I had Percocet on 02/05 and 02/06. I am now on Advil
5) I find that I walk aroundthe block I can come home and get some urine out of my body...
6) BUT I do not feel my bladder and my brain is not getting signals to make it release urine.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so - what did you do? Are you better? Will my bladder get better? This effort trying to empty my bladder is totally draining me.

Thanks in advance
Jax

PS - Lovestorun: I will try and post more about how I am doing when I feel a bit stronger - but it is great to see how well you seem to be doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2008, 08:15 AM

Hi Jax
I can sympathize with the bladder struggles and I think there are many who have also had this experience. I had a bladder sling done so I had some trouble emptying my bladder for a while too. My dr ended up having me self cath for a while. It was a help because I stopped having the UTI's from retaining so much urine.

I don't know your exact situation but bladder problems to some degree are very common because the bladder lays up against the uterus so during a hysterectomy the bladder has to be handled and moved around. I have read where in many cases they have to peal the bladder off of the uterus. This all can cause swelling and a generally unhappy bladder.

I think this will clear up for you in time. I'm sorry I can't really tell you how long it will take. We're all different in how quickly we heal and with exactly what was done during our surgeries. I know it's hard to make yourself do, but you need to be drinking a lot of water. Try a regular schedule of trying to urinate. Make sure your dr knows how hard this is for you and keep asking questions. Your dr is the best one to be able to explain what's happening in your body.

I hope you begin to see an improvement soon. Keep us posted on your progress.
's, Rita
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:24 AM

I have this exact same issue going on, but my TLH was on 12/7/07. I am actually going to a urogyn on Tuesday. I will let you know what he says. I do know that my gyn told me that it can be normal a few days after surgery but he doesn't know why it is still like this 2 months later.

Take care,
Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2008, 08:40 AM

Hi Jax

I'm sorry that you are having this issue, but glad to see that you are home. I was wondering "where" you were.

I didn't have this problem, but my bladder got nicked and I ended up with a bladder repair. I have been seeing a urologist since then. I'm just wondering if you need to be referred to one.

I agree with others that have said that when our parts and pieces get moved around during surgery - it takes some time to get things going again. I ended up with a UTI because of the amount of time that I had the catheter post-op and the said that when they removed it, I may have some issues wit h retraining my bladder.

Other women have said that they had to run water and other things to get things move. I pray that this is quickly resolved from you.

I am glad to see you posting.

Blessings on you ....
Unread 02-10-2008, 09:45 AM

Hi Jax:
I too had difficulty maintaining a flow of urine and I did not have an urge to 'go'. I made it a habit that I would try every two hours when I got up to move around. It took several weeks for me to have an urge to urinate. I mentioned it to my doctor and he monitored it on my weekly appointments (I had complications p.o.).
Shelly
Unread 02-11-2008, 04:20 AM

I agree with the other ladies... sometimes it is just a matter of time.. I just sit down every three hours whether I feel like it or not. Hopefully this will resolve itself. I also force myself to drink more fluids to keep things moving.. can't imagine a UTI on top of the hyster pain. Good luck
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:59 AM

Jax! So good to hear from you. I am sorry to hear about the bladder woes. I cannot give you any info or advice. My doc told me that i had severe adhesions and scarring with uterus attached to bladder. He had scheduled a urologist to assist with the surgery ahead of time, and thankfully I have had zero issues.

It sounds from the other ladies comments that this is a common problem and will heal with time.

Otherwise it sounds like you are doing well??? I hope so?!!
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:39 AM

Hi Illtaketherain!

I am doing a bit better today I think with the bladder issue - I did read the following out on the web about Narcotics and bladder issues which made me feel so do feel better intellectually about the whole thing- all of the symptoms they list I have but it seems a bit easier to urinate so far today (but a bit more painful..I think the past few days have just taken their toll.)

Narcotics: Any drug that produces analgesia, narcosis (stupor or sleep) and drug addiction. Effects retention of urine because the bladder is relaxed. Bladder symptoms consist of lack of concern or desire to use the toilet, difficulty in starting the urinary stream, straining to void, voiding with a week stream urinating between voids and frequency. Examples include Percocet® (oxycodone-APAP), Demerol® (meperidine), morphine.

I of course had all that morphine and some percocet - which I stopped Wenesday night. So have only had Advil since then - over the counter as I did not get a script for anything else (who even knew there was stronger doses..I did not until reading the posts today).

I dread lying down or standing up (that is bad pain for me) and am not very comfortable sitting or standing. I feel the best when I am walking! SO i walk and walk.

My uterus and firbroids were the size of a 22 week pregnacy and weighed 1.75 pounds. It was huge (7 x 5 x 4 inches I think) and the photograph of it shows a thing that looks nothing like a uterus in shape. It looks like it is out of Alien - and the Nurse said the same thing. Glad it is out of me but concerned about what the future holds - I did not deal with that at all pre-op and so am unprepared for the journey I am embarking on now. Oh well -with Hystersisters I will make it through.

My best to you all
Jax

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register