Surgery Scheduled---Ovary Removal Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Scheduled---Ovary Removal Questions Surgery Scheduled---Ovary Removal Questions

Unread 04-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Surgery Scheduled---Ovary Removal Questions

Needless to say I'm getting ready emotionally and physically for another surgery. This makes 3 within a 10 month period. Anyhow, I had a TAH December of 2003 and kept my ovaries. I've had nothing but pain on my right side since then. Both my gyn that did my hist and gyn/onc ( I don't have cancer, my ovary is wraped around my ureter and I need a really good surgeon) thinks it needs to come out.

I have pre-op appt May 6th and surgery is scheduled for May 10th. He is going to do laparotomy and take out the right ovary. One of my questions is what is the recovery like? He said there is a possibility that during the removal of my ovary that he "might" have to cut the ureter. I have so many questions and worries running through my mind now, I just need some input from my fellow sisters. Thanks, TechChick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 05:07 PM

TechChick,
I'm sorry to hear that you're going to need more surgery. I hope that this one will have you on the way to feeling better.

I had a laprotomy many years ago. Mine was a full abdominal cut. Depending on the amount of work the doctor does I would think that you would have to be off work for 6-8 weeks. I was off 5 when I had my laprotomy, but the doc didn't remove any internal organs.

Good luck! Do keep us posted on how you're doing.
Unread 04-21-2004, 06:45 AM

Hi ((TechChick)),
I'm sorry to of all you've been experiencing and now need additional surgery I had my right Ovary removed 12 weeks after my TAH. Mine was done via Lap with 3 small incisions...my recovery was nowhere near that of my Hyst The pain was far less...
Pls discuss each of your concerns with your Dr before undergoing this surgery....exp concerning the risks of damaging your Ureter
Here is a link to our Resources Directory, it contains lots of good info concerning issues & complications that can occur Post-Hyst:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/link.php?s=

Pls know my thots & prayers will be with you that all goes well!! Good Luck with everything & pls keep us posted...(((hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2004, 07:08 AM
My prayers

I hope that things go smoothly. I had to have my BSO done in FEB 04. hopefully he won't have to cut your ureter. if he can successfully do it without that complication it would make your healing process so much easier. But still a laporatomy is going to take a little longer than just a simple Lap. Good luck to you.
Take care and I will pray for you.....
Please ask your dr all your questions and concerns before surgery. That way your pain control can be handled completely.
lOL
Jeni
Unread 04-21-2004, 03:01 PM

Thank-You ladies for your replys. and advice I'm going to go armed with lots of questions at my pre-op. I'm going to start typing out questions as I think of them and take them to the appt.

I know in my heart that this is the best decision. I have tried alternative treatments(drug treatments to supress the ovaries). I just don't understand why the ovaries have to act up after a hyst (at least I get to keep my left one). It gets dishearting sometimes, but I have to keep my head up One thing that makes my mind at ease is that my gyn/onc is one of the best in the nation.

dabearzzz and SHERI, what was the reason you had your ovaries taken out?

Thanks again Ladies, you all are wonderful!!!!

TechChick
Unread 04-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Reason for my BSO

I had a 6x 10 mass on my left ovary that was causing me alot of pain and my right one also had some pretty good size cysts on it. I did not want to go through Lupron again. So DH and I decided to go ahead and remove them... Good thing we did because upon entry the dr found major adhesions and several that were causing my intestines to be pulled from one side of my stomach to the other. i am still having difficulty from that.
So far I am not having any trouble with the hrt. Thank goodness.
Good luck in you decsion I know it is not an easy one.
lOL
Jeni
Unread 04-23-2004, 06:38 AM

Quote:
dabearzzz and SHERI, what was the reason you had your ovaries taken out?
During the first several weeks following my Hyst, I kept experiencing this worsening right-sided pain. My Surgeon finally agree to do some testing, an Abdominal & Transvaginal U/S. They revealed a large mass atop my right Ovary. The Ovary itself was enlarged 2-3x's it's normal size & covered in multiple blood-filled cysts :O My Dr was concerned over the fast growing mass so suggested its removal immediately. We discussed the pains and he mentioned how Pre-Op, I had always complained of my right side causing me problems. Thinking it was the ongoing cause of my pains there he suggested its removal while he was in removing & determining the origin of the mass. I agreed....

The mass turned out to be Adhesions that had formed a large, dense mass I was soo relieved as I was soo concerned it was Cancer...

I do still have my left Ovary tho it was left nonfunctioning During one of my surgeries, it's blood-supply was altered. Shortly after I found out I was in Surgical Menopause, I was dx'd with a blood-clotting disorder that left me unable to take HRT < another battle I thot I had avoided but didn't *sigh* >

Good Luck ((TechChick)) Hopefully, this surgery will provide you with some much needed relief!! Pls keep us posted on how things are going

((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register