Confused about pain mediciation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused about pain mediciation Confused about pain mediciation

Unread 05-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Confused about pain mediciation

I am hoping someone has info about this problem , because I don't know what to do.
A little background:
About 20 years ago I had a bad wisdom tooth pulled and they gave me tylenol with codeine for the pain. I had a headache for a day and a half. Doc said stop taking it and see what happens. Headache stopped. He then told me I had an allergy to codeine, and I have never been prescribed it since.
I'm due to have my hyst.(LAVH) on the 15th, in pre-op I told the doc that my biggest fear is the pain afterwards.She said she starts out with Motrin? I said I would like the pain med pump, she didn't agree, but I think she's probably going to see how I do...and I know that the minute I wake up I'm gonna start asking for the pump! I want to feel as little as possible for as long as possible! Sorry, I am a wimp when it comes to pain!
Anyhow, the prescription she gave me for home use is Percocet. Which is oxyconton with acetomidaphen (sp?). Took it too the pharmacist along with a couple of scrips, and he told me because of my codeine allergy I shouldn't take it because it is related. (By the way, the doc knows that I am allergic) I can't find much on the internet-at least that says, do not take percocet if you have codeine allergy, etc.
Do I call the doc and ask for different prescription, which will probably be Motrin? Or do I have this one script filled, and see what happens?
Any help is appreciated on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2007, 10:21 PM

I am not a doctor, and so you should certainly talk to your doctor and pharmacist!!!

but...

I have a reaction to codeine makes me very nauseus, dizzy, hard to breathe, etc. and I was able to take percocet. It is a related drug and does cause some minor side effects for me, but was not the same as the tylenol with codeine, etc.

Your doctor will be able to help you with this, and a really good pharmacist can talk you through what that might mean for you. PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK WITH SOMEONE AT THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE again before taking the meds. Sometimes the doctor is aware and means to go ahead and give that med, but just double check for you!

Keep me posted, I will check in on you.
Unread 05-03-2007, 10:27 PM

There is always a warning about cross-sensitivities with codeine and oxycodone.
Your reaction to the codeine doesn't sound like a true allergy to me. Did you have any itching or rash? How about any breathing reaction?
(I am a pharmacist, so I am used to asking these questions but please talk to your doctor about your concerns.)
I think you could probably try the percocet for pain if you didn't have any of the above reactions to the codeine.
I think that codeine and hydrocodone (vicodin) cause more stomach upset than oxycodone(percocet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2007, 10:39 PM

The only symptom I had was a massive headache that would not go away. I woke up with it, and the meds didn't take it away...I never had any other problem. I might call the docs office too, but if I tell them the pharmacist warned me about it... I'm afraid there goes any pain meds for me.
The pharmacist did say that I could fill it anyway, and try it but it was kind of against his advice...I realize liability etc. He also asked me about what my symptoms were, breathing difficulties, etc. When I told him about the headache, he seemed surprised. What I can find on the net about codeine allergy does not say headache is a side effect. So therefore my confusion.
Unread 05-03-2007, 11:04 PM

Codeine is only one of a broad range of drugs available for pain relief. Every person's needs are unique. My husband does just fine on Vicodin, whereas I need Demerol for my serious pain. When I was in the castle, they started me with morphine injections and it didn't do much for me -- I ended up with much stronger injected meds (Dilaudid) before we got on top of the pain. Talk to your doctor. Do not give up. The goal is zero pain, not 'tolerable' pain. ANY pain is too much!
Unread 05-03-2007, 11:37 PM

I think you might consider trying one of the pills before the surgery and see if you have a reaction to it. I had a horrid reaction to dilaudid in the castle and then had a heck of a time getting my doctor to switch it. (long story) It is just a thought, but it might be better to find out while you are ok if you can tolerate the pill rather than when you are in max pain.
Unread 05-04-2007, 02:56 AM

You know, if she doesn't want to give you a pump and is looking for ways around oral narcotics, I would discuss Torodol with her. This is IV injected hmm I think every 4 hours.

I had a pump and the Torodol on my chart upon request. I honestly will tell you I think the Torodol did as much or more than the pumo. I think it addressed the inflamation while the pump made me not care.

If you are able to get this, just a word so you aren't surprised, it burns for about 15 seconds when they inject it but then that's totally over. It startled me the first time so wanted to warn you.

Best of luck,

Julie
Unread 05-06-2007, 01:10 PM

I also can't take codeine - makes my heart race. But, I've taken Percocet in the past after a neck surgery and didn't have any problems with it. But, I'd recommend you speak to your doc about it. Best wishes.
vicki
Unread 05-06-2007, 05:23 PM

Hi,

I am sensitive to codeine too and I had oxy conton for my take home meds. I had the liquid, it tastes nasty but worked fine.
BTW; I thought I was allergic to codeine but in the hospital I was told I was only sensitive.
Also, I didn't need the morphine pump, my pain level was about a three, so you never know.

I'm sure your Dr will prescribe something just for you, remember he/she doesn't want you to have any pain either.

Good luck to you.

Peggy
Unread 05-06-2007, 08:37 PM

As other (((sisters))) have already suggested, there are lots of pain meds out there. When I had my hyst, I had some pretty bad itching from the morphine in my PCA pump.... so they said no more morphine for me. (They were worried that I'd develop a full-blown allergy to it.) At my next surgery, they gave me fentanyl in my PCA and it worked just fine with no itching.

I agree that the headache sounds more like a sensitivity to codeine, not an allergy -- which tends to present as a different sort of reaction. (Quite honestly, it could have just been referred pain from your tooth, or maybe from caffeine deprivation! ) And, while hydrocodone and oxycodone are related to codeine, they aren't the same -- and they may work well for you.

With any luck, you'll be one of the (((sisters))) who doesn't need much pain medication after surgery.

At any rate, however -- discuss your concerns with the doctors and I'm sure they'll help you find a solution for your pain that will work. All my best to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register