vaginal hysterectomy recovery??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal hysterectomy recovery??? vaginal hysterectomy recovery???

Unread 07-23-2004, 04:44 PM
vaginal hysterectomy recovery???

Hi- I am new to this web site. I am 34 and am scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy on Aug. 31st. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on recovery? I have read so much about an ab hyst. but very little on vaginal except that it is easier and recovery is quicker...My DH thinks I'll be up and about in a matter of days...UGGG...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 05:08 PM

Hi and welcome to the site.
I had an LAVH (laproscopically assisted vaginal hyst.) 2 weeks ago yesterday. Tell your husband that you will not likely be up and around in a few days.
Certainly everyone heals at different rates, but I am only just starting to feel better. Also, I spoke with my doc tonight and he reminded me to still take it easy...still no lifting, heavy housework, driving...etc.
And when I say that I am feeling better, I am only saying that I am not taking narcotics for pain any longer, just 800 mg motrins every 6 hours. I still feel like I need a nap every day and haven't done anything much more strenuous than a few short walks a day.
I have heard other women saying that they are doing a lot more than that, but I am listening to my doctor and taking the opportunity to heal properly.
There's my 2 cents.
Hang in there and good luck,
Susan
Unread 07-23-2004, 05:20 PM

Hi Tlynns, I had a TVH with an A & P repair on June 6, and I just had my 6 week post-op appointment yesterday, and I can assure your DH you will not be up and about in a "matter of days".

Yes, I am amazed at how well I feel today as compared to 6 weeks after I had a laproscopic gall bladder removal 10 years ago, but believe me, this is major surgery, and it is no cake walk. Any time you have an organ removed, it takes a lot out of you, and it's so important that you rest, rest, rest for the first few weeks.

I think I slept for the first 2 weeks, not that I didn't want to do anything, but there is a lot of weariness, and just plain lack of energy. You won't have the get up and go to do much of anything for a while. Stamina was a word that was not in my vocabulary for a good month.

You will feel better each day, and you'll think you are really feeling good, till the next day when you feel better. It's easy to overdo because you don't exactly know what your limits are.

This is truly the first week I have felt more "normal" and haven't needed to nap mid morning or mid afternoon.

Lovingly let him know that he is your caretaker and hero, and resist the urge to help him do things because he's not used to it. As I have read so many times on this site, you have only one chance to heal correctly, so make the most of it.

Don't get discouraged and hang in there. You will recover, but it does take some time, and it does get frustrating.

God bless you and I'll be praying for you for your surgery and recovery. You can e-mail me anytime you'd like. Take care, Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 05:23 PM

Hello,
I had a TVH 8 days ago.
Remember, recovery is different for each person......
I was walking the next day, nurses orders, and using the bathroom on my own, home after dinner.
I went straight to bed when I got home.
For the next few daysI walked around the house, walking is good for you, I had cramps and in the beginning the gas was very painful.
Let all the chores go, you need to rest and it is your time to be pampered.
My Parents gave me a bit of advice, don't get dressed and do not leave the house unless it is to walk, because as soon as you do they will think you are all better and will want you to take care of them again. (them-husband and kids)
My recovery has been good and today is the first day I have not had cramps, one more week for me till I see my doctor for post op.
I am going to take it easy for the next week. Rememeber, you may feel good, but you are still healing on the inside.

Best wishes.

DeeDee
Unread 07-23-2004, 06:29 PM

Hi! I had a TVH and post. repair 3 weeks ago! I feel pretty good now but have very little energy. I get tired very easily still. I am feeling better each day but as mentioned before this is major surgery. My pain has been very minimal even from the start. The first week I did sleep alot and rest but by the 2nd week I was up walking more. Everyone is different in how they heal. I have been taking it slow and easy so tell your hubby no you won't be up after just a few days! Many s to you and good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Barbara
Unread 07-23-2004, 06:32 PM

HI THERE.. I HAD A LAVH FOUR WEEKS AGO TODAY.. I DID FEEL GOOD IN A MATTER OF A FEW DAYS, BUT WITH THE MISTAKEN SECURITY OF FEELING WELL, I DID TOO MUCH AND SUFFERED COMPLICATIONS.. YOU NEED TO REMEMBER THAT JUST BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ANY OUTSIDE REMINDERS OF YOUR SURGERY, THAT INSIDE THERE IS ALOT OF HEALING THAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN... HOPEFULLY YOUR DH WILL UNDERSTAND THAT... GOOD LUCK AND I WISH YOU THE BEST.. DIANA
Unread 07-23-2004, 07:46 PM

Do you still get the "gas" pains with a vag.? Also, did anyone have a spinal vs: general? I am able to have a spinal. I guess that is good ?!?!. Thanks-
Unread 07-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Listen to your Body

I had a TVH w/posterior repair on July 6 around 1:30 in the afternoon, I was up and walking around 8 that night, very lucky I had no gas I was released from the castle about 2pm the next day. My release orders were two percocets every 3 to 4 hours, which I did not need, regular diet, and as far as activity my doctor said as tolerated. I was up and around doing light cleaning and walking within a couple of days of being at home.
At my two week checkup my Doctor said I was doing pretty good and have release me to go back to work on the 2 of Aug. with restrictions of taking it easy and not to lift anything over 30lbs.
I think the main thing is to listen to your Doctor and then listen to your body and every thing should be alright.

I hope your stay at the castle and your recovery be as easy as mine.
Unread 07-23-2004, 10:01 PM

I had TVH exactly 4 weeks and 2 days go....I am 1 month post op today. I am feeling pretty good. I did have those dreaded gas pains.....oh my gosh did they hurt.....for about 2 weeks or so. The best thing to do for them is walk it out.

Do take your time in your recovery. Do not over do it.....don't rush it. It is a pain to start rushing into things as I did. I have a 5 month old....and as soon as I started "feeling" better, everyone just assumed that I would be able to start carrying her around and doing everything that I was doing pre-op. Anyways, you will pay a price for rushing things too fast. I am still spotting a little blood since surgery. It does it mostly when I do carry the baby around.....but when they are teething and hurting, it is hard not to!

I had general anesthesia. I am 28 now...was 27 at time of surgery...recently had b-day! But recovery will go well if you do just as the doc says. No lifting, pulling, pushing, driving, SEX, no anything basically. Just relax, and let everyone pamper you for a change. Let them wait on you hand and foot as you have done them!!!

Take Care and Keep us posted.

Alle
Unread 07-24-2004, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tlynns
Do you still get the "gas" pains with a vag.? Also, did anyone have a spinal vs: general? I am able to have a spinal. I guess that is good ?!?!. Thanks-

yes, you get the gas with a VH..........

I had general, and did great, I did not want to be awake during the surgery. There are many different opions on that subject, you and your doc should decide what is best for you.

Best wishes,
DeeDee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register