A Uterus Eulogy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Uterus Eulogy? A Uterus Eulogy?

Unread 10-12-2012, 07:32 PM
A Uterus Eulogy?

My therapist suggested I write a eulogy for my uterus to help me cope with the hysterectomy. So here it is.

Not sure exactly what to write. It’s strange writing a eulogy for your uterus. What is a eulogy? What does it mean? What does it represent? I guess it’s the summary of the purpose that life was given and how that life gave meaning. So, my uterus was created to hold and nurture a baby. It protects my baby from harm and helps comfort and nourish it. Ok! Check! My uterus did that. It aided the healthy development of my beautiful children. SUCCESS! I fulfilled my biological destiny. I created life and delivered. Now, I’m not going to pretend my uterus always produced such beautiful results. I definitely had a love hate relationship with it.
I was so excited to get my period as a young girl. It means you are on your way to womanhood. The next chapter in development after producing small boobs and growing some hair. The summer between 7th and 8th grade it came. YES! I wasn’t the first or the last of my friends to get it so that made me happy. I couldn’t wait and now that I had it I hated it. OMG the bleeding the pads the mess the smell and all the emotions going along with it. It was a cruel joke. Why did I want it so bad when it makes me and the people around me so miserable? But deep down inside, biologically, my body was preparing for what it was created for, life. So I had no choice but to grin and bear it.
My period, however, did serve a great purpose. It got me out of physical activity, work, boring sex and most important it meant I wasn’t pregnant! WHOOO HOOO! So many times I would pray for my period to come to know I WASN’T pregnant even though that is the whole purpose of it. LOL!
OK there were good times and bad times but in the great scheme of things it has treated me well, very well. It produced two happy, healthy, BEAUTIFUL children. With death comes birth and the death of my uterus brought about a REBIRTH of my relationship with my husband. Because what good is two beautiful children if there isn’t a strong bond of a mother and father behind them. Well, that’s not entirely true but you get my point. My husband and I have become so close since the death of my uterus. Our relationship has reached a new level that I didn’t think could be possible. The love, trust, laughs, and respect between us is off the charts. So if something had to die for this relationship to be possible then so be it. I would have my uterus die 20 times over.
The emotions surrounding the death of my uterus I still don’t fully understand but I do understand that it’s important to say goodbye and not hold on. It’s going to be a journey dealing with the loss of the organ that defines me as a women but the reason I was created stands in front of me every day, my children. So thank you uterus for giving me such great gifts. You did an amazing job. You fought hard and in the end you died. You gave everything you had just so my husband and I would have perfect children. I thought I wouldn’t miss you because why do I need you now but we were suppose to grow and die together. Now that you have died I must live. I must move on without you and always remember how great you were and how much you have given me.
Here lies my uterus. May she rest in peace. May she know her death was not in vain. She successfully completed her biological destiny even though it was cut short. I won’t miss the pain but I will mourn the empty space and the CHOICES that came with having her around. Goodbye old friend. Sleep well. Job well done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Re: A Uterus Eulogy?

What a great idea. That's beautiful, lammy. Thank you for sharing that on this site.
Unread 10-12-2012, 08:30 PM

That was very beautiful sister. I couldn't have expressed that any better myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2012, 08:32 PM

Very nice...I had been thinking a lot about that lately. Why, even though I wanted it to be gone so badly, would I miss it. But you said it. It allowed me to have some of the best and worst moments of my life. Thank-you for posting that. It actually brought some tears to my eyes.
Unread 10-13-2012, 12:22 AM

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Puts feelings into perspective. I have hated it for so long because of pain, it did house and birth my two perfect kids, inspite of irregular ovulation and tumors, and for that I am deeply greatful and fortunate.

My uterus worked hard, played hard and didn't go down without a fight.
Unread 10-13-2012, 05:43 AM

Lammy, that was perfectly said. Who knew that we would be mourning an organ that produced so much pain and so much beauty? Thanks so much for sharing. Hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register