Things that made a difference | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Things that made a difference Things that made a difference

Unread 03-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Things that made a difference

Hello Ladies in Waiting,
I had my TAH/BSO on 11/30/02, so I am on the other side of surgery. I thought I would write with some suggestions for having as good as experience as possible.

Before surgery: on the doctor's advice, I used calcium citrate as a bowel prep and was very glad I did. Cleaning yourself out before surgery and then eating lightly might really help you too. Because I did such a good job of "prepping," my doctor didn't make having a BM a requirement before I could go home.

Product endorsement: I bought Shower to Shower body wipes before going into the hospital and found them to be GREAT. They leave your skin feeling smooth and lightly powdered. They helped me feel clean and ready for visitors. I was fine not showering until I got home--believe it or not.

Use your pain medicine! At first, I was resistant. I had gotten so used to being in pain, I thought I could tough my way through it. I had heard that pain meds could make you constipated, and I didn't want to face that with my sensitive belly! But I didn't really have problems with that, and it was a great relief to be out of pain. I got a prescription to take home and got another 1 week post op when I went to get my staples out. I didn't use up all of that one, but I was glad to have it.

The pain I did have didn't compare to a really bad period (except for when I first woke up after surgery).

I bought a wedge pillow from a medical supply company and it was great--kind of cradled me. I am a stomach sleeper normally and was concerned I wouldn't be able to get comfortable. This helped until I could sleep on my side.

Everybody says not to overdo, and it's true. You won't necessarily notice right away, but you might, as I did, notice it the next couple of days. Do walk as much as you can, but don't exert yourself.

That's it for now. Best wishes to you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 01:37 PM

Fiorile, thanks for the great ideas. I'm such a frazzled LIW that every little bit helps a lot.

Melissa
Unread 03-05-2002, 01:48 PM

Thank you for all the great tips! I have my surgery on Thursday & have taken many of the tips so far on these boards. I think I'm as ready as I can get thanks to everyone here!
Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 02:29 PM

Thanks for your suggestions!!! Every little bit of knowledge helps!!!
Unread 03-05-2002, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the tips. Trying to get ready and think of everything you need can be overwhelming at times.

Smiles
Lisa Ado
Unread 03-05-2002, 09:13 PM
A WORD OF CAUTION

Hi, Fiorile,

I think some of your suggestions are great. Thank you for sharing them with us. I would, however, like to caution all ladies-in-waiting about preparing your bowels.

Each doctor has her/his own bowel preparation directions. It's extremely important to check with your own doctor before planning a bowel preparation program. Some women have posted here about their surgeries being cancelled because they didn't follow their own doctor's bowel preparation instructions. I remember that one women had become very dehydrated because she listened to the wrong person on this issue, and she developed serious problems in the operating room as a result.

So please check with your doctor before using laxatives, etc. Some doctors require no bowel preparation, and others have more detailed instructions.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 03-06-2002, 12:51 AM

Yes, be careful. My doctor had me do nothing for a bowel prep. Also, I was given no special diet order for the few days prior. He said as long as I had nothing after midnight, I was fine! And, fortunately, I was!
Unread 03-06-2002, 05:37 AM

I was not required to do a bowel prep either. If you are required to have one, follow your doc's instructions. One of the nurses gave me this tip about post pain meds. She told me to take the pain meds as prescribed for 3 days when I got home, whether I had pain or not. I was taking Ibuprofen 600 mg, not any narcotics. I told her I didn't have any pain and she said just do it, that way any pain after being at home and more active won't creep up on you. That's what I did and I never felt any pain, whether I was truly pain free or the meds kept it in tow, I will never know. She had had a hyst and another nurse had advised this to her. I don't know if I would do that with a narcotic as they can slow down bowel function and make you fuzzy.

And rest is definitely in order.....do not be a slug, but be kind to yourself!

Unread 03-06-2002, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the advise.

My Dr wants me to eat all I want and what I want prior to the surgery nothing after midnite on Sunday (castle date is Monday) and do an enema on Monday AM 2 hrs prior to leaving the house.

I'm praying that I don't have the bowel problems afterwards.

Get lots of rest and take care.
Unread 03-06-2002, 06:21 AM

Today I am on a liquid diet & nothing after midnight to be ready for surgery tomorrow. I guess every dr. is different & they know what is best for you. Good luck to everyone!
Barb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register