help....blood clot???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help....blood clot???? help....blood clot????

Unread 02-26-2004, 07:43 PM
help....blood clot????

Can anyone tell me the symptoms of a blood clot. And can it happen 9 days post op? I am having crampy type pain that comes and goes in my right leg mostly behind my knee, but travels up and down my leg sometimes. My leg is also achy. Started last night and was ok today and then started again this evening. I am scared...should I call my dr tonite or in the morning.
thanks
chele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2004, 07:50 PM
help....blood clot????

I would call the Doctor now if I could .Maybe the hospital hs someone who can take calls if yours isnt available . The one I go to directs you to the emergency dept if the call come sin outside of office ohours .During office hours they have what theycall an ask the nurse line .mei
Unread 02-26-2004, 08:13 PM
help....blood clot????

You should call your doctor now - or the doctor on call. It is always best to be on the safe side. Let us know what the doctor has to say.

s
Unread 02-26-2004, 08:25 PM
help....blood clot????

Call now. Any leg pain needs to be reported to the doctor. If you can't reach your doctor, please go to the ER.

I had a blood clot (Deep Vein Thrombosis) at 3 weeks post op. Some symptoms are pain, swelling, redness, warm to touch, but not all symptoms need to be present. My only symptom was pain in my inner thigh.

Do not rub the area. If there is a clot rubbing your leg could cause a piece of it to break off and travel.

Please let us know what your doctor says.
Unread 02-26-2004, 08:29 PM
help....blood clot????

YES, call your doctor, or someone on call, now. I had sinus surgery 2 years ago, and developed a blood clot which traveled to the lung. This happened more than 3 weeks after the surgery. Achy, crampy, or even sharp pain can be symptoms of a blood clot.

I don't want to scare anyone, but as it turns out, I had a genetic blood clotting disorder called "Factor V Leiden", where the blood clots too much. I had no idea I had it. It's a very serious disorder, that I wish more people were aware of. I think anyone who has a family history of clots should be tested. I've been on blood thinners ever since, and so far, have done fine, including with the TAH I had 3 weeks ago.

I hope everything is ok, let us know what you find out.
Unread 02-26-2004, 08:34 PM
help....blood clot????

oh man, now I am scared. My dh just walked out the door for work. I can reach him if needed, and he only works 5 minutes away, but I am an hour away from the hospital, will they make me go in to the er? I will call, I just hate to look like a worry wart, and what if I am wrong?
sorry I am just scared
thanks
chele
what if the pain is not always present? like ok in the mornings and not always hurting, just crampy?
Unread 02-26-2004, 08:39 PM
help....blood clot????

Call the ER and ask to speak with the doctor on call there. Tell him (or her) that you are home alone and have recently had surgery.

The only way to tell for certain if it's a clot is with a dopplar test (ultrasound).

I didn't have constant pain. I also have a genetic blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden which I had never heard of before.

Don't be concerned about looking like a worry wart. If it is a blood clot, it's important to be treated now.

Please call.
Unread 02-26-2004, 08:40 PM
help....blood clot????

(((chele)))

You need to see a doctor - tonight. If you need to have your DH come home, call him now. It is ALWAYS best to be safe! The doctors would rather examine you - if they find nothing wrong that's great - but if something is wrong and you don't go in the consequences can be very serious. Blood clots can be fatal.
Unread 02-26-2004, 08:41 PM
help....blood clot????

Don't ever think you're just being a worry wart. Anytime something doesn't seem right, we should have it checked out.

Since my clot had already moved to the lung, the pain was very sharp in the left rib cage area, under the breast. It was so bad, I could not breathe without pain. I had no choice but to go to the ER, I was miserable. Interestingly, I did not really notice any pain in my legs prior to this thing moving either, that was scary.

In the ER, they did a battery of tests before finally discovering it. It was small, but still, a clot in the lung, which could have very easily been fatal. I was lucky.

Don't panic, but can you call a doctor on call, and see what they advise you to do?
Unread 02-27-2004, 10:14 AM
whew!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I called my dr. last night, and he sent me straight to the ER, which is an hour away. So called my dh home from work, he took me up there, they did an ultrasound on my leg and it came back ok. They think its just muscle pain, from stress, the surgery ect. Didnt get to bed until 5am, and I am not a person who does well without sleep! But I am so glad that its not a clot, I was having so much anxiety waiting for the results. That hurdle is over...whew
thank you for the replys....you guys are great
chele

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register