Swelly belly "shelf" over tight incision? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly belly "shelf" over tight incision? Swelly belly "shelf" over tight incision?

Unread 06-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Swelly belly "shelf" over tight incision?

Hi Sis's,
Everybody talks about swelly belly, but nobody has really described theirs. I'm starting to wonder if my new shape is due to a funny healing of my incision. My incision is so tight it seems strained, almost embedded, under a firm, aching abdominal shelf. No swelling below incision at all. If the shelf weren't so abrupt it wouldn't bother me; before surgery I had a hill, due to large uterus, but it blended in gradually. Now even though smaller, it's a sideways cliff! Is this the normal deal for swelly belly? I'm at seven weeks and my incision and abs are still quite sore when I touch them, too, which seems late for external soreness.
So, Sis's, does this sound like your swelly belly? At all? Thanks in advance, Asta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2006, 02:15 AM

Funnily enough I was remarking about this myself yesterday. I have an identical shelf. Completely flat below scar and then this shelf, my TAH/BSO + tumour was removed 3 weeks ago today so I am hoping in time it will go down. However, could be useful for putting your cup of tea on, or holding your CD collection !!!! Im sure it will get better and if its not normal, youre not the only one with one !!!!!! we have a matching set !!!! we could make a pair of book ends !!!!!
Unread 06-29-2006, 04:53 AM

Are you two saying that it's not just an overlap, that it's actually flat on top? I have seen posts asking about what you two are talking about, but I just thought it was the overlap.

From what I've read, we can be sore for a VERY long time, and I think the "external" soreness is actually an internal one. Hopefully that shelf is what's making your incision feel so tight! I'm only 3 weeks out, and never felt the tightness of the incision. My belly is very sensitive to the touch, and I would assume it will get more sensitive as we do more. There are also sisters on here that go alot longer than the six weeks without doing much, so you may actually be doing more than your body can handle. Remember, everyone's different, so there is no exact time that you can do stuff, just a rough guess as to when most can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2006, 05:15 AM
Oimow

No its not flat on top but it really is like an overhanging cliff edge that suddenly stops where the incision is and is completely flat underneath. The folds of tum that hang over the top of the incision feel very heavy and drag and then eventually start to burn. I am still trying to walk for 10 mins as per instructions from hospital but have to sit down before the 10 mins is up. Plus I was not told what I could and couldnt do and I know I did too much initially - just on one good day - then suffered for it after. Since then I have been extra good. I felt like I needed to walk for the 10 mins because the muscle in my right thigh was feeling very odd - sort of cramp like.
Unread 06-29-2006, 05:31 AM

We're just one day apart. I want to walk, but I'm scared to do it by myself and keep forgetting to say something when my DH is home in the evenings. I'm usually napping then anyway. The farthest I've walked so far is into the dr's offices. Why do they always have to be so far away from the parking lot/front door? Also, have you looked at the Checkpoints tab? It gives you a general idea of what you can and cannot do. Just remember that everyone's body heals different and take as long as possible to really get back to doing things. I'm still not hardly doing anything. Only when I'm feeling especially good, and then I really limit myself and do just a little at a time.

Maybe it would help you two to put a small pillow between your belly and your legs when sitting? It sounds like yours is the kind they talk about on here that needs support. Some women buy something from the store on here for it, others buy support hose, still others got something from their dr for support. It sounds like the gravity is pulling your bellies down.

I know you're not alone with this and hopefully someone will look at this that has been through it before.
Unread 06-29-2006, 05:43 AM
Oimow

I only walk for the 10 mins inside the house. Today is the first day I have tried walking the 10 mins in the garden. My legs were very wobbly and shaky and I felt very insecure. I sat in the chair in the sun and didnt feel right so Ive come back in to bed. So this is 3 weeks and I am supposed to be able to walk for 45 mins by my check up at the 6 week stage - in 3 more weeks. Cant see how that can be done when I havent managed the 10 mins yet. I am walking about like a 90 year old - no disrespect to any 90 year olds !!! and look like I should have a walking frame.
Unread 06-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Me too!

Hi, I am 5 weeks post op and just called the nurse yesterday to talk about my shelf. When I lay flat, you can't see it, but when I stand up, it's there. It really has been the same since my surgery and hasn't gone down, although I am much less sore now and walk upright. The shelf makes it difficult to wear some clothes, especially the tighter jeans when I have to suck in my stomach to button. Nurse said it's still early and will go down. I have been walking more, but supposed to get back to my regular exercise program next week, but really still don't feel like jumping around with this shelf thing here. It is still numb and sore, expecially at night. I bet this is going to take a few months.
Unread 06-29-2006, 09:54 AM

Hey, I have the same shelf. I had a smaller one after my c-section 15 years ago and it never went completely away. This one is a little bigger, but I am assuming, I am still early in my recovery (just hit 6 weeks yesterday) and it will go down to pre surgery size. It only makes me wish I would have thought of having a tummy tuck at the same time. DRATS...
Best Wishes, Shawn
Unread 06-29-2006, 10:29 AM

Mine looks like a man's beer gut. (You know how men can have those huge guts, then tiny little hips?) Extremely swollen above incision & just regular swollen below incision.
Unread 06-29-2006, 10:56 AM

I got the shelf too...Curly 8 you sound exactly like me. It's very frustrating. I had to buy all new work clothes...bigger because of the "shelf"', but they are so big on me everywhere else. Don't dare try on a bathing suit...I'm going to a pool party on Saturday - guess who won't be swimming!! I can't even hold it in at all...I had a little pouch before, but could at least suck it in when I walked so it wasn't so noticeable - can't do it with the shelf - it's actually hard & heavy. Can't wait until it goes away & pray that it DOES go away.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register