Today I got my second opinion, and I have a question for those who have been "there" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Today I got my second opinion, and I have a question for those who have been "there" Today I got my second opinion, and I have a question for those who have been "there"

Unread 06-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Today I got my second opinion, and I have a question for those who have been "there"

I went in today and saw another Dr for my second opinion. He said the same thing that my regular Dr did, that he believes that a hyst would help with my lower back pain and over all improve the quality of my life. Both also said that due to the size of my uterus (22 cm), that an abdominal procedure would be the safest way to go, with fewer chance of complications. I plan to keep my ovaries and cervix if possible.

I have pretty much resigned myself to having it done. My back aches alot of the time, and I am tired of painful periods and looking like I swallowed a basket ball.

My husband and I own a bike shop. We work together and from October to March it would not be too hard for him to run the place alone while I recover. I also breed snakes for a hobby, and from December to March they are brumating in the basement, and only need a water change a week (and I have someone to help me with that). I also love Christmas bazaars that run on weekends from mid October til the first weekend of December. Based on all of that I decided that the first week of December (right after the bazaars are over) would be the best time for me to have the surgery.

Christmas in my family is very low key. My mom and aunt come over in the morning to exchange gifts and have breakfast, and we go over to my in laws for dinner (and it is usually just the 4 of us as his brothers both live out of state), and we go home fairly early.
I guess my question is, if I have an SAH the first week of December, will I be able to make it through a very quiet Christmas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Re: Today I got my second opinion, and I have a question for those who have been "the

I think if you don't plan to do any Christmas shopping between Thanksgiving and Christmas you should be fine
Also, don't expect to do any grocery shopping until after Christmas. The way you are describing it, sounds like great timing! Most women find long car rides the worst but you don't mention any. After three weeks you can usually start going out for short car rides and errands.
Unread 06-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Re: Today I got my second opinion, and I have a question for those who have been "the

I just had a LAVH done on monday for lower back pain as well severe issues with my abdomen. I'm been pain free in my back since the day after my surgery and thats the first time since I was 15 that I haven't had any pain. I would ask your doctor again about doing a lap asst vaginal instead of an admonal one. recovery is so much easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2010, 08:22 PM

corlaprof, my inlaws live about 15 minutes down the road, and my husband normally does the grocery shopping anyway. He is a coupon clipper and I just can't be bothered with that! After my surgery my biggest responsibility will be to settle down and heal. My mom can't wait to bring me food and watch movies with me.

dustyswife, I asked both doctors, and due to the size of my uterus both told me that the surgery would not only be safer with an abdominal, but it would be faster. A faster surgery means that complications and problems are much less likely. My uterus measured 22 cm last summer, and has most likely grown since then. A lap is out of the question for me.
Unread 06-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Over seven years ago, I had a hysterectomy because of lower back pain that commenced for the first time ever in my life at the age of 49. Unfortunately for me, even at four months after my surgery, the back pain was still there

At that point, I saw a physical therapist for an evalation. He taught me a simple stretching-type of exercise to do twice daily for two weeks.

I followed his intructions and the back pain went away. My visit at that clinic was one of the most beneficial appointments of any kind I have ever had in my life.

Based on my experience, I would not have a hysterectomy because of back pain without first exploring other options in regard to its cause and possible non-surgical remedies.

Unread 06-25-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizet Woman View Post
Over seven years ago, I had a hysterectomy because of lower back pain that commenced for the first time ever in my life at the age of 49. Unfortunately for me, even at four months after my surgery, the back pain was still there

At that point, I saw a physical therapist for an evalation. He taught me a simple stretching-type of exercise to do twice daily for two weeks.

I followed his intructions and the back pain went away. My visit at that clinic was one of the most beneficial appointments of any kind I have ever had in my life.

Based on my experience, I would not have a hysterectomy because of back pain without first exploring other options in regard to its cause and possible non-surgical remedies.

It's not just the back pain, the reason I am having a hyst is my 22 cm multiple fibroid uterus. The back pain is minor compared to the painful periods, the weight of this thing crushing my organs and bladder and the fact that I look 7 months pregnant. I also think that taking all that weight off my front will probably help my back. If I sleep on my side the weight of my enormous stomach actually twists my lower back and getting out of bed HURTS.
It's been 6 years since my dr has told me that I should have a hyst. And my problems have only gotten worse since then.
Once in a while when I first wake up in the morning, if I have any kind of gas, it pushes against my organs and hurts so badly that I can't function until I drink something carbonated and get rid of the gas. My stomach is just about level with my breasts, and I look pregnant all the time.
I am tired of looking and feeling like crap.
Unread 06-25-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk100 View Post
It's not just the back pain, the reason I am having a hyst is my 22 cm multiple fibroid uterus. .
I had an "enlarged fibroid uterus" (to quote how it was characterized on my medical report) as well -- although my gyn described it as "grapefruit-sized" versus citing measurements in centimeters. When I look at casual snapshots ("party pics") taken in the year or two before my surgery, I have noticed..."My stomach is sticking out!" although I was not aware of it at the time.

I agree that it can't possibly be healthy for organs to have an enlarged uterus encroach on their "territory."

I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery and recovery!
Unread 06-26-2010, 03:30 AM

Hi walk100,

I had a TAH for a large fibroid on the 25 November last year. I had some lower back pain before the op as the fibroid was pushing on my bowels and lower back area and I had to sleep with a pillow under my stomach to get comfortable. As well as the heavy and long periods and the anemia from all the bleeding, it was also pressing on my bladder and I was getting up for the loo a couple of times during the night. All of that has gone since the TAH!

I found it was a great time to have the op, and it got me out of doing Christmas lunch last year. One of the best things was to be housebound when the weather was colder, rather than having the op in the summer when you want to be outside (we're having a hot summer in the UK this year). I was able to go to my sisters for Christmas dinner, but wasn't up to doing any cooking myself. I prepared some meals before the op and froze them and did al my grocery shopping online and had it delivered. I agree with corlaprof about the car rides - remember to take a small cushion/pillow to put between your stomach and the seat belt when you come home from the hospital - it helps.

Good luck.
Unread 06-26-2010, 06:13 AM

Thank you UKSister, I love hearing stories like yours. It makes me so much calmer! I know about the pillows, this house will be decked with them before I leave for the castle! Thankfully, most of the driving we do in our everyday lives is less than 15 minutes a trip, and ride to the inlaws is the same Even the hospital is ony 10-15 minutes down the road (depending on how many red lights you catch)
This site is preparing me, and I am so glad I found it!
Unread 06-26-2010, 07:29 AM

I think your plan should work, although I didn't have that exact surgery. Its lucky you are able to plan like this. I had a week's notice and no ability to plan, so I see the advantages of thinking it out. Hope it all goes well for you, in all ways.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register